Hotel de Fleurie or La Tour Notre Dame?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26th, 2003, 07:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am thinking of either one of these hotels in Paris for the month of July. I have read the other posts-but wondering if anyone stayed in either hotel and feel that one might be better than the other. Also how about the restaurants located near the La Tour Notre Dame are they all tourist traps?? Any great eating places to suggest? Thanks
Old Dec 26th, 2003, 07:40 AM

I'm not really sure what you mean by "better than the other". For me, since both hotels are in very good locations, I would think you mean in terms of furnishings, service, etc. I haven't stayed at either hotel, but from what I've read, the Fleurie appears to be alot more nicer in terms of the decor, furniture, good service. Also Fleurie does have a/c which you will need in July most likely. I think La Tour Notre Dame offers a/c too. Haven't read anything bad about service at La Tour Notre Dame. Anyway, that's only my opinion and interpretation of what I think you mean.
Tourist traps are frequent on rue St. Severin in the Latin Qtr. It's a small street filled on both sides with Greek restaurants with guys standing outside trying to lure tourists inside. I believe one even broke some dishes as a way to get attention-not a good sign. Not a good place to dine for value I understand. We just tried any of the many good brasseries and restaurants around. See if you like their posted menus then decide.
Old Dec 26th, 2003, 11:00 AM

I've stayed at the Fleurie and think it meets your requirements as described in an earlier post. Since I haven't stayed at La Tour, unfortunately, I can't offer a comparsion.

For restaurants near Fleurie, I'd recommend Casa Bini (36, rue Grégoire de Tours) for Italian, Cafe Mabillon (corner of St. Germain/Buci) for a light meal or drinks, and Mezza Luna (Buci) for pizza.

Good luck!
Old Dec 26th, 2003, 02:40 PM

I haven't stayed in either but think I've only read generally good comments on both of them. That Hotel de la Tour Notre Dame is popular and reviewed highly. Hotel de Notre Dame on rue Maitre Albert is another in that area that is popular, and I think might be a little nicer than the Tour de la... I think both are described in Sandra Gustafson's book Great Sleeps in Paris and you can read comments on digital.france.com/Hotels

Most of the restaurants around La Tour Notre Dame are tourist traps in the direction of the NW or towards the corner of St Michel and the quai. There are some decent ones to the east along the bd St Germain or rue des Ecoles or between there and the Seine (that hotel is near Maubert metro, I believe, I stayed very near it once. It's near Brasserie Balzar for one place that is good.

I think the Fleurie is a lot more expensive, isn't it?
Old Dec 26th, 2003, 05:03 PM

We have stayed at the Flureie several times and like it a lot. Good location just off St Germaine Blvd and helpfull staff. I don't usually eat breakfast in hotels, but they had a really good one in the basement.

Here is their website:

http://www.hotel-de-fleurie.tm.fr

Enjoy Paris . . Rich
Old Dec 28th, 2003, 03:30 PM

I stayed at Hotel de Fleurie in April 2003. It had been recommended a couple of times on the AOL Paris travel message boards. Originally I was looking for two rooms with a connecting door which the hotel could accomodate. Plans changed to a deluxe room in the end. I was very happy with the hotel. The room was large...king bed with desk and room to work around. The bathroom was fine. I found the tub/shower a little difficult to manuever because the side was too high to step into(I am small) and the enclosure was inadequate. Water ended up on the floor. The staff was very helpful. I never had breakfast because we were always on the go and never wanted to stop to eat. The room went for 240E.

The location is superb. We walked to the Lourve, Notre Dame and St Chappell. Latin Quarter too. The hotel is a block away from the metro. At night it is hopping...tons of people on the street and lots of restaurants. We tried a few. The best was one called Fish. I dont remember the address but it is in the 6th district.

I dont think you will go wrong with the hotel.

Old Dec 28th, 2003, 03:40 PM

FISH is on Rue de Seine..it is a wine bar /restaurant as opposed to a fish restaurant..which can confuse ..at least it did me@!
Old Dec 28th, 2003, 11:38 PM

Hello,
I've never gone to the hotels you're talking about but The hotel Saint Paul*** is a really good one. It is really well located in the center of Paris and in the same quarter than the Hotel de Fleurie (6th quarter).
Their website is: www.h-saintpaul.com
Have a good trip in Paris!!!