Plans to stay in the 7th

Search

Plans to stay in the 7th

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26th, 2006, 05:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Plans to stay in the 7th

We have always stayed in the 6th, but next trip we're thinking of staying in the 7th, for a change. There are several restaurants and a tea room we'd like to try in the 7th, and the Musee Guimet and Musee Mailol are there, as well as being close to Musee Rodin. Lots of good reasons to stay there. However, we had dinner in the 7th a few years ago and felt it was a little desserted at night. We saw one cafe open, and that was just about it. We usually like to stay in the area near our hotel after dinner and enjoy taking a walk and stopping in a cafe before turning in. In the 7th, we'd enjoy walking over to the Eiffel Tower at night and stopping in a cafe. Any favorites in that area?

Sandy
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 07:24 AM

I always stay in the 7th and I wouldn't call it deserted at night at all. I usually stay a couple of blocks from the Place Ecole Militaire, where there are loads of cafés and restaurants open at night - plenty of places on that place and the surrounding streets and boulevards to have a drink or coffee and people-watch until it's time to go to bed.
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 07:36 AM

Agree with St. Cirq on the area near the Ecole Militaire metro stop. It's not a lively area in the way St. Germain or the Marais is, but there are quite a few restaurants that are busy into the night. If you're not a late night person, it's probably a good fit. (It was a little too sedate an area for me.)
I would avoid Rue Cler, despite what Rick Steves says. Thanks to him, all the mediocre cafes over there are perpetually overrun with tourists. But there are plenty of decent places to eat and drink around the Ecole Militaire metro stop.
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 08:11 AM

Musee Mailol and Musee Rodin are on the eastern side of the 7th, whereas the Tour Eiffel is on the western side. Musee Guimet is across the river in the 16th.

About halfway down Champs de Mars, there are cafes open late on the opposite corners at rue Saint-Dominique and ave Rapp. Very nicely located, but I wouldn't recommend either one. Okay (but just okay) for a beverage.

At Place de l'Ecole Militaire, however, there are two cafes opposite one another, along with another a few steps east on ave de la Motte-Picquet (this one has loud, live, music). There's also a bar with live music within steps at Malone's (64 ave Bosquet). There are many other bars with music (sometimes live) including O'Brien's (77 rue Saint-Dominique), Thalie's (piano bar at 26 rue Surcouf), and Thomieux has a bar around the corner from their restaurant that is quite lively.

One of our favorite cafes in the 7th for winding up the evening is La Source (corner of rue de Grenelle and ave La Tour Maubourg, just opposite the metro station) which has a full bar and is open late (and a fabulous spot for a warm goat cheese salad, crepes, etc., anytime, but especially when you're famished late at night on a day with a late lunch and no dinner). Another is Cafe de l'Esplanade (a very romantic place inside for dinner) with tables set along the sidewalk looking toward Invalides and the Esplanade - beautiful at night! Great for dessert and coffee. (Note this place is pricey.)

And, there's the beautiful new Cafe de l'Alma at 5 ave Rapp.

But, you don't have to spend every evening near your hotel. Closerie de Lilas is a reasonable taxi ride away, as are Les Deux Magots, and other lovely evening spots (Place de la Concord, Place de l'Opera, etc.).

We always enjoy spending an evening at Place du Tertre. One of our favorite places there is La Cremaillere which has tables set outdoors, but also is absolutely gorgeous inside (Art Nouveau splendor) with a fantastic outdoor garden area out back. There's a taxi stand right on the Place, or you can just hop the #80 bus (with views of the Tour Eiffel along the way) if you leave by midnight or just after back to the 7th.

At least once or twice on every trip we relax on the terrace at Chez Francis, with a splendid view of the Tour Eiffel, before strolling "home" across the bridge to the 7th.

A really nice stroll "home" to the 7th is from Place de l'Opera, through Place de la Madeleine, through Place de la Concorde, over Pont Alexandre III, past the Esplanade and on "home". About a mile and a half from Cafe de la Paix to Cafe de l'Esplanade or La Source.

It's a good idea to be really observant and know a bit of French when exploring the neighborhood where you're sleeping. It's easy to walk right by wonderful places without noticing (especially night spots which are closed during the day). And, ask around! Ask other tourists, the locals...

Highly recommend Bistot de Breteuil for dinner. Wonderful food, moderate prix fixe menu, view of the Tour Eiffel from the terrace.
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 08:36 AM
Original Poster

You have all given me such wonderful information. Thanks so much! We were leaning towards staying in the 7th, but now feel certain it's a good idea.
St. Cirq, good to know there are lots of cafes open near the Place Ecole Militaire. The one time we went for dinner, it was at Le Petit Niçois on the rue Amelie, and we got lost trying to find a bus stop, which is probably why it appeared desserted. Marty, I'm not sure I'd say we're late night people, as we get up very early, but we like to get the most out of our time, so we often can be found at Les Deux Magots, having a night-cap around 11:00 PM. One of the restaurants, in the 7th, we want to have dinner at is Au Bon Accueil, near the Eiffel Tower, so cafes near Place Ecole Militaire would be good dj, we love Bistot de Breteuil, but have only eaten lunch there. It's one of the reasons we'd like to stay in the 7th. You also mention Closerie de Lilas, and it has long been on our list of places to go to. Can you believe we've been to Paris 5 times and not been there yet? Just so much to see and do in Paris. I can't wait to go back!

Sandy
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 08:54 AM

Wow, great info. Hope to check out some of these places on our trip in April. We are staying in the 6th, but that isn't too far away, right?
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 08:56 AM

Great post and replies. I'm staying in the 7th next month and have bookmarked this thread. Thanks for sharing.
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 08:59 AM

Saving to take notes. Thank you.
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 09:00 AM

<<Le Petit Niçois on the rue Amelie>> Yes, a very quiet street in the 7th! Yet, you were only a few streets over from lots of good destinations!
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 09:04 AM

We had dinner at Le Petit Nicoise one night. They were almost empty and we were seated in a room, apart from the other people, service was lacking (menu came in English/French) and food was mediocre.
I think they are suffering from too many American tourists or they lost whatever it was that made them special.
They are right across the street from the small/tiny hotel Amelie.
The street is only a block long..
Try <i>Sud</i> at 159 rue Grenelle, perfect little restaurant.
Along that street are a couple of other shops and cafes that we liked, we were in an apt on the corner of rue Grenelle &amp; rue Cler.
Troquet is great..
Also, along rue Grenelle before you get to rue Cler, there is a wonderful shop of soaps and home things..I got my supply of Pre de Provence Green Tea soaps
I loved staying in the 7th.
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 09:07 AM

Close by is also my all time favorite 7th restaurant!!
D'Chez Eux on rue Lowendale!! perfect service, food and ambience.
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 09:16 AM
Original Poster

Scarlett,
I liked it when we went there, but my husband wasn't crazy about it, so we haven't been back since. That was about 3 years ago, and I think they've since changed owners.

Sandy
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 09:32 AM
Original Poster

Heavens,
No, it's not too far by bus, but we find it easier to go to the 7th during the day when we're staying in the 6th. You can take the bus #63 from Saint Sulpice, in the direction Porte de la Muette, to the Invalides Metro. I just checked, and after midnight when the #63 is no longer running, you can take the Noctlien bus No2, from Invalides back to Saint Sulpice We haven't taken any of those late night buses, but so handy to have them. The only time we were up late enough to take one was when we went to Lapin Agile in Montmartre, but we took the taxi back to our hotel then.

Sandy
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 09:40 AM

sandy, we were there last March. Don't know about owners..but the area is full of good places to eat
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

Scarlett,
Thanks for the restaurant recommendation! I've just added D'Chez Eux to my short list of 7th arrondissement restaurants, which includes Au Bon Accueil, Fontaine de Mars (which we enjoyed before), : Bistro de Breteuil (also have enjoyed), Le Petit Troquet, and Au Pied de Fouet, long on our list, but we haven't gone there yet.

Sandy
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 09:47 AM

&lt;&lt;They were almost empty and we were seated in a room, apart from the other people,&gt;&gt;

Whenever this happens, it's likely they assumed because you're American you want non-smoking. We've seen some Americans throw huge fits over smoke in restaurants.
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 09:51 AM

We've stayed at the Hotel du Champ de Mars and the Grand Hotel Leveque in the Rue Cler area of the 7th. Rue Cler is a mostly pedestrian street and does quiet down at night, but we found a number of cafes and places open up towards Rue Bosquette and Rue Granelle, just a block or two away.

We love the 7th -- nothing beats being able to amble over to the Eiffel Tower every evening if we want to -- for the &quot;pinch me I'm in Paris&quot; feeling that you get.

We enjoyed both hotels -- both around $100 USD per night for a double, so very reasonable and comfortable for our tastes. The Leveque has a nice Continental breakfast to start off the day if you want it.

Both hotels are Rick Steves favorites, so if you want to stay there, reserve EARLY.

Happy travels,

Jules
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 10:46 AM
Original Poster

Jules,
Thanks for the hotel recommendations I love the way the Grand Hotel Leveque's website is set up, where you can see at a glance what dates are available. It's funny, but the Hotel Champ de Mars was the one I wanted to stay in the first time we went to Paris, but it was so popular that it was all booked up. My second choice was Hotel Muguet, but that too was booked up, and this was in December for an April trip. I asked people on the Paris_Oui list, and someone suggested Hotel Crystal in the 6th. We have stayed at a hotel in the 6th ever since We decided it's time to try another arrondissement, although we absolutely love the 6th!

Sandy
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

Scarlett,
I missed the restaurant Sud and the information about the little shop on the rue de Grenelle. Thanks so much! I am really looking forward to staying in the 7th after all the great responses I've had this morning.

Sandy
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 06:02 AM
Original Poster

Iregeo,
I'll look forward to your travelogue, especially since you'll be staying in the 7th

djkbooks,
Yes, rue Amelie was quiet, but then we walked the wrong direction, into a more desserted part. We went round and round and finally found someone to point us towards the bus stop. We had gone a long way out of the way, which would have been okay during the day. We often hop a bus and get lost and discover an area we've never seen, but don't care for getting lost at night

Sandy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -