Hotel Clement Paris St. Germaine neighborhood

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6th, 2010, 06:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I making first trip to Paris in mid-Oct., reserved superior double room at Hotel Clement in Paris. Seeking tips on neighborhood favorites -- cafes, restaurants, jazz clubs, sights. Thanks.
Old Jun 6th, 2010, 06:51 PM

Good choice of a hotel. It's the one that I recommend in my hotel thread, "Paris Hotels Left Bank Thread". I prefer a room facing the street and on a high floor. I've had a room facing the back and there was a cement wall, across from the window, and quite close as it was the back side of an apartment building. So, that's something to keep in mind.

As for the neighborhood, I like the restaurant Le Temps de Perdu(sp?) at 54, rue de Seine between rue de Buci and rue Jacob. I've eaten there for over a decade. Just ate there two nights in a row almost 3 months ago. Across the street is Fish restaurant which I tried to get into, but couldn't as I didn't have a reservation, so I just walked acroos the street to Le temps de Perdu and got in as I arrived at 7PM without a reservation. It fills up at 8PM.

I also used to eat at Le Rotisserie d'en Face at 2, rue Christine. I haven't eaten there in some years, but started eating there the year it opened and many years after. The hotel manager and friend of mine at Hotel de Seine told me about it when it opened as he ate there regularly since he lived in the neighborhood. I've taken many friends there.

If you're a shopper, there's plenty of shopping in that neighborhood. I've stayed in that neighborhood since 1981 and I just hit the streets and walk and look to see what new has popped up.

On the rue Gregoire de Tours there are restaurants on both side of the street between Blvd.St.Germain and rue de Buci. It's a one block, basically restaurant street. No fancy ones, but if you need a quick bite, they're there. I had friends who owned a Japanese restaurant there for over a decade which is why I used to regularly eat on that street.

As for cafes, there are the usual ones like Deux Magots and the Cafe Flore, but there's also a nice one on the corner of Blvd.St.Germain and rue de Seine and also Cafe Palette, I think it is, that's on rue de Seine about a block north of rue Jacob. Then there's another one on Blvd. St.German right at rue de Buci. Happy Travels!
Old Jun 7th, 2010, 01:58 PM
Original Poster

Dear Guenmai -- Bless you for taking the time to craft such a helpful, detailed and authoritative response. Much thanks. This forum is A-Plus!!
Old Jun 7th, 2010, 02:46 PM

Also in that area are Le Petit Zinc, Chez Clement and La Jacobine.

Near Cafe Flore, in same square, is Le Bonaparte, which has an outdoor dining area. I had my first Croque Monsieur there.

People here also recommend Leon de Bruxelles for its mussels..

Rue de L'Ancienne Comedie is a neat, small cobblestone street with one of the oldest restaurants in Paris, le Procope. Have not read any good food reviews of it though.

The Buci food market is a nice place to browse
Old Jun 7th, 2010, 04:14 PM
sap

bookmarking
Old Jun 8th, 2010, 07:51 AM
ira

>...there are the usual ones like Deux Magots and the Cafe Flore, .....<

So Jaded, G?

In addition, there are
Brasserie Lipp 151 Bld St.Germain (art deco)

*Leon de Bruxelles 131, bd St Germain (very inexpensive)

*Le Petit Zinc 11 r St Benoît Very good

**Restaurant Vagenende 142 Boulevard St. Germain (art deco)

**Be Bop, Le 8 r. Gregoire de Tours. (N of Blvd St Germaine) Pianist plays until 23:00,

*Fish 69, Rue du Seine very good wine selection, both by the bottle and by the glass. 32€ for FP menu: 3 course

Enjoy your visit.

Old Jun 8th, 2010, 10:03 AM
tod

I stayed at the Hotel Clement 3 trips ago. Very good location. My room faced the market and if you leave your wondows open you will still hear drunks shouting at 3 am because thers a Irish pub in the building.
At 5am the dump truck arrives to clean up. Your should be ready for breakfast by 6!
Don't change your reservation - it's all the fun part of being in Paris!
Old Jun 8th, 2010, 10:26 AM

We like Bistrot de Paris on Rue de Lille, also Les MInisteries on Rue de Bac. Itineraries and Petit Pontoise and Chez Fernand are in walking distance and all excellent
Old Jun 8th, 2010, 10:30 AM

There are also a few good pastry shops in that area
Old Jun 8th, 2010, 10:51 AM

Also if you get hungry for Italian, I know I do, Del Papa on Rue de Buci near the corner of St Germain is very good. Their roasted squid with salad is always my starter of choice!
Old Jun 8th, 2010, 10:56 AM

One courtyard that I snook into was that of the Ecole des Beaux Arts..nice
Old Jun 8th, 2010, 11:07 AM

If you're in Paris on a Friday night the Paris Prague Jazz Club is a nice place to spend a few hours. It's very low key, fun music and great prices on the czech beer.

Paris-Prague Jazz Club
18 rue Bonaparte, Paris
01 53 73 00 29
Beautiful ancient stone cellars in the “St.Germain des Prs" spirit. Jazz club every Friday evening 7pm30 to 12pm. Very low prices, accessible for students: cover 5, pint of lager 3. Food: tchque lunch, hot sausages. Styles: Modern and vintage jazz, blues, western swing, zydco

There are restaurants everywhere in the area. I'd suggest walking by during the day and looking at the menus and seeing what suits you. An easy way to make a reservation is to simply stop in at lunch time and reserve for that evening or later in your stay. Except for the really trendy popluar places that should work fine(at least in early December it works).
Old Jun 8th, 2010, 11:19 AM

I love Fish! We got in without reservations 2 weeks ago, just lucky I think. I would recommend making them when you are out walking, even for the same day. It's a small place that is popular and has great food and wine.

I have been to several other mentioned but I would like to add Relais Entrecote, which is on Rue Saint-Benoit, across from Petit Zinc. They serve only steak (with a wonderful sauce), frites, salad and dessert - and wine of course. I think it is a great meal and try to get there when I am in Paris.

I like the pizza at Pizza Vesuvio (1 rue Gozlin), it is right by Hotel Madison and a block of St. Germain. They also have a good wine selection.

On previous trips, I have had good meals at Pères et Filles Restaurant, on Rue de Seine, close to Rue de Buci. I didn't get there this time (we at Fish twice instead) but I liked it 2 years ago!

Have fun, Hotel Clement in on my short list of places to stay next time.
Old Jun 12th, 2010, 03:02 AM

Ira, sadly Le Be Bop on Gregoire de Tours was no more last time we passed by; it was a nice place...if anyone knows where they might have relocated?

The excellent creperie across from it has been replaced, as well! (though there are certainly plenty of those around the corner on St. Andre des Arts! Perhaps too much competition, though I can't say any left on this street are/look great.

On Gregoire de Tours...For what it's worth, we did not like La Citrouille-- it's cheap, and unfortunately the quality of food suffers for it. The Chinese restaurant (can't remember the name) is very inexpensive and okay, but one of our pleasures in Paris is the great food, so we haven't returned; if you're on a tight budget it would do the trick.

Skip 30 - closer to Le Clement...check out Rue Guisarde and Rue Princesse. They both have lots of good choices...Bistrot d'Henri and an excellent Chinese spot right next door, among others.
Old Jun 12th, 2010, 11:45 AM

Skip30- You're welcome.

And as for possible noise at the Hotel Clement, I didn't have any real issues with noise and I'm a light sleeper. Of course there will be the regular "city" noises as it's a dense city. However, I always pack foam earplugs when traveling and put them in before going to bed. I'm from L.A. County, so there's always some kind of city/suburban noise going on. Maybe I'm just used to it.

Also as you stated above, you'll be in Paris in October, so you probably won't have the hotel windows open that much. If it were high summer season, I could understand it. I usually travel in spring, although from 1976-1990, I traveled to Paris annually in summer, and then changed over to spring, with the exception of having been there in spring 2009 and summer 2009, and then back to spring a few months ago and it was pin drop quiet at my rented apartment in the heart of the 6th.

The noise level can be very different, in some areas, depending on the season. I've stayed all over Paris. My best, male Parisian friend was complaining about not being able to sleep, when I was at his place in summer 2009, at the apartment that he owns in the 10th, because of motorcycles racing up and down his street and people hanging out at a club down the street. However, it had been quiet in spring 2009 as there weren't that many people out on the street.

I personally like the view out of the street view rooms at the Hotel Clement than the back side where one stares at a cement wall. As for a bar across the street from the hotel, I never even realized there was one as it didn't affect me. So, pack some earplugs, just in case, and have a great time! Smiles. Happy Travels!
Old Jun 21st, 2014, 08:06 PM

I realize this original post is from 4 years ago, but I too am looking for suggestions near the Hotel Clement. Can anyone provide updated information?
Old Jun 21st, 2014, 10:00 PM

Gérard Mulot pâtisserie is just around the corner.
Old Jun 22nd, 2014, 05:02 AM

Love Gerard Mulot. For other treats, like macaroons, Un Dimanche a Paris is near the Odeon metro stop....gorgeous shop and the desserts are works of art.

For more casual fare, Da Rosa would be an option on rue de Seine. Also, Relais de L'Entrecôte is on rue Saint Benoit for steak with their sauce, fries and salad.
Old Jun 23rd, 2014, 03:23 AM

PAUL bakery - at the corner of Rue de Seine and Rue de Buci. Spacious and bustling, it is a nice place to go for breakfast.

COSI Sandwiches - at 54 Rue de Seine, a nice spot for lunch. Wonderful salad and make sure you place an extra order of their hot thin Cosi bread. Carry your tray upstairs to a small seating area to eat.
Old Jun 24th, 2014, 07:14 PM

Thanks! I especially appreciate the breakfast suggestions; our hotel room rate does not include breakfast, so we are looking forward to exploring each morning.