Hotel Chopin/ Hotel Lenox

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2003, 07:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are traveling to Paris in April - has anyone stayed at the Hotel Chopin or Hotel Lenox? Anything interesting to see in their surrounding area?
Old Mar 2nd, 2003, 07:53 AM

I haven't stayed in either, but there are two Hotel Lenox's, which are you considering? One is in Montparnasse and the other in St-Germain. <BR><BR>Hotel CHopin is in a passage in the 9th arr near the Grands Boulevards metro stop. There are some interesting things to see almost anywhere in Paris from my point of view, but for someone who doesn't know Paris well, I would thing other areas might be of more interest in terms of the immediate area around the hotel. Chopin used to live around there in several residences (why the name), and you can see one of them where Georges Sand lived, also, (on Square d'Orleans) but most people aren't interested in that. It's fairly near the big dept. stores and the Opera, those are worth seeing, of course. But you can see them regardless of where your hotel is.<BR><BR> Hotel Lenox in St-Germain would probably be the best on that regard. I stay in MOntparnasse myself, usually, and like it as an area to stay, but there aren't tourist attractions around there (which is why I like it). Montparnasse cemetery is just down the street at bit, there is a street market on bd Edgar Quinet on the weekend, and it's convenient to transportation and cafes/restaurants.
Old Mar 2nd, 2003, 07:57 AM

Which Lenox? There is one in the 7th arr. (Rue de l'Universite) and one in the 14th arr. (Rue Delambre)? <BR>Both charming 3* places and very popular.<BR>Hotel Chopin** is in the lovely Passage<BR>Jouffroy in the 9th arr., not too far from the large department stores.<BR><BR>All areas nice and interesting. But then, I find most areas in Paris worth to be explored. Each arrondissement has its charms. In some, you have to find them, though.<BR>What are you intested in?
Old Mar 2nd, 2003, 07:59 AM

Sorry, for almost repeating. Posted same time as you, Christina. ;o)
Old Mar 2nd, 2003, 09:15 AM

The following link is a nice travel article about Paris from a couple of years ago that talks about staying at the Hotel Chopin and describes the surrounding area. After I read it, I made a point of seeking out the various passages in that area during my trip to Paris a couple of months later.<BR><BR>http://archives.seattletimes.nwsource.com/cgi-bin/texis.cgi/web/vortex/display?slug=paris11&amp;date=20010211&amp;query=P aris+Chopin<BR><BR>Note: If the link doesn't work, you can search for the article on the Seattle Times web site.
Old Mar 2nd, 2003, 09:47 AM

I think the Passages are one of the most fascinating things in Paris. You feel like such an &quot;insider&quot; when you discover them and they seem to have an incredible variety of interesting shops and ambiance. Some are rather run down and ancient appearing which is how I'd characterize the one that houses the Hotel Chopin. Makes for a very romantic ambiance. The hotel is only a 2 star so I'd not expect it to be big in the roominess department and I'd guess that it too has a somewhat threadbare appearance, but that could contribute to the mood if you enjoy that sort of thing/ I only peeked in at the reception when we walked through the passage but I found it charming.
Old Mar 3rd, 2003, 10:12 AM

Hi<BR>At least 10 years ago I stayed at the Lenox St Germain. I doubt the rooms have gotten any larger, and our double room was minuscule. There was no place to open a suitcase except for laying it on the bed, yes, not enough floor space to do that. I have read that some of their highest floor rooms may be larger. The decor was charming however, and the location excellent for exploring the left bank. Rue de Bac (where the metro stop is) has lots of great shops.
Old Mar 3rd, 2003, 12:04 PM

I’ll be at the Hotel Chopin the second week in May, unfortunately too late to help you. <BR><BR>The reason I’m staying there is to spend most of one day doing the “Lonely Planet” walking tour of the passages. I’m also going to have dinner one evening with my Dad at nearby Chartier, a Belle Epoque landmark restaurant listed in DK Top 10 Paris as one of the top 10 places to experience a meal in Paris. If you end up staying at the Chopin, you might look into these things.<BR><BR>By the way, I have a Friday &amp; Saturday in Paris. I’m going to see La Defense and as mentioned above the passages. I’ve read La Defense is just empty on a weekend. Do any of you off-beat Paris experts know if the passages would be mostly shut down on a Saturday? I’d rather have some activity at both, but I’ll pick a shut-down La Defense over shut down stores in the passages. Thanks!<BR><BR>FYI, I’m going to La Defense specifically to see the 100+ antique cars at the auto museum there. It is open weekends, and my Dad loves old cars.<BR>
Old Mar 3rd, 2003, 12:49 PM

Indytravel, I have never heard about the auto museum and would love any info you might have. Is there a website? (Sorry, don't want to hijack the hotel thread but really love antique cars!)
Old Mar 3rd, 2003, 01:27 PM

no problem, Ursula, that happens to me a lot because it takes a while to write posts and then it looks like you were ignoring another one, but I recognize it now...<BR><BR>what has happened to paris in spring?<BR>I have never heard anyone talk of visiting the automobile museum at La Defense so I don't know what that attraction is like. I think it may be in the same place as the IMAX theater, not sure. There is also an automobile museum in the Chateau de COmpiegne to the NE of Paris on the RER line.<BR><BR>I can't rememember what days I've been in the passages, but I certainly would expect them to be open on Saturday as they are stores. I don't see why not. If you are in the area, Chartier might be a good lunch stop, that's what I do. I think that article makes it sound a little better than it is. It is a historic restaurant, one of the few real &quot;bouillons&quot; left in Paris (workers cafe), but I'm not sure I'd go there for a nice dinner or anything. The food is okay but is only cheap cafe food, and it's kind of crowded and noisy. It be crowded and you feel rushed, also, which is why I don't think I'd go for dinner unless you were in a hurry to go somewhere (and then you may not get seated for a while).<BR>
Old Mar 3rd, 2003, 03:02 PM

minimn, I first read about the Musee de l'Automobile in the last version of Lonely Planet's “Paris.” It did not make it into the most current version. 110 vintage cars with some early French models, open from 12:15 to 7:00pm daily. Christina is right, the museum is at 1 place du Dome, right next to the IMAX theater. Telephone: 01 46 92 71 71. I looked around on the web a bit and there doesn't seem to be much info online about it.<BR><BR>Christina, thanks for the passages and Chartier update. Since I can shop on Saturday that's what I'll do and see La Defense when it's a bit busier on a Friday. The only thing is I might change my mind if it's pouring rain on Friday. I'd rather use the passages as they were originally intended in that case.
Old Mar 4th, 2003, 09:13 AM

Indytravel and Christina, Thanks for the info on the museum, I'll check it out. Indy, if you are ever in Paris in Feb, DO NOT MISS the exposition called Retromobile. It is fabulous! (www.retromobile.fr)An absolute &quot;motorhead heaven&quot;!!