Hotel Catalonia Centro-Madrid

Jan 7th, 2009, 07:12 PM
Original Poster

Hotel Catalonia Centro-Madrid

Has anyone stayed at the Catalonia Centro hotel in Madrid? My FIL wants us all to stay there on our upcoming trip but something about its TripAdvisor reviews makes me wonder. Anyone have any experience with this hotel?
Jan 7th, 2009, 07:34 PM

als0107,
I've not stayed at the Catalonia Centro, but I do know the location very well. It's in the posh Salamanca neighborhood directly facing busy Calle Goya, between very upmarket Calle Velázquez and Calle Castelló. From the hotel it would be about a 25 minute walk to the Prado, but there's a metro station nearby. Is there a particular reason why your FIL has chosen it?

I do have experience with other Catalonia properties in Madrid. Of the four, the one I personally prefer is the 4 star Las Cortes in Old Madrid, which is a short distance from the museum triangle.
Jan 7th, 2009, 07:45 PM
Original Poster

maribel writes: "Is there a particular reason why your FIL has chosen it?"

At this hour of the night his selection is based on whatever Jack Daniels tells him! I have no idea. I was actually just reading your guide online and was thinking about the Room Mate Alicia based on the location. We are now a group of six (my parents, my in laws and DH and I) plus our infant daughter.
Jan 7th, 2009, 07:48 PM
yk

I think there are some issues of the "bathroom door" at Room Mate hotels.
Jan 7th, 2009, 08:44 PM

Hmmm. I guess we'll have to wait and see what Jack tells him next!!

If Jack says the group must stay in a Catalonia hotel, then he should choose the Las Cortes, which is just below the Room Mate Alicia. I would go for superior rooms here, or executive rooms at the Room Mate Alicia, if price isn't an issue. The two have very different feels. Las Cortes is very classic (older folks like this), while the Room Mate has a young, hip vibe. For your group the Calle Prado hotels have a more central location for sightseeing and museum hopping. On the same block there's also the Vincci Soho.

I love the Salamanca district, my old neighborhood, but there I'd choose the 3 star Hesperia Hermosilla or if feeling flush, the 5 star Wellington, across from Retiro Park.
Jan 8th, 2009, 07:01 AM

Like Yk says, from what I have read the bathroom in The Room mate Alicia is exposed to the bedroom , affording little privacy.
Jan 8th, 2009, 08:39 AM

It's the shower that is exposed to the bedroom...I think you can see it in the pictures on the website...the shower door is partially clear and partially opaque, but yes, it is absolutely NOT private. Everytime someone mentions it, I think "what were they thinking?"
Jan 8th, 2009, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

DH and I are the hold up I guess because we need to get a better rate since we are staying in Madrid for 3 nights. At the Alicia I can get an online rate of 110E while the Hesperia is 165E/night. Is there something else you can think of that would have a low rate but still be "acceptable" to the parents? We are also a little leary of small rooms since we will have the travel crib in the room with us.
Jan 8th, 2009, 09:19 AM

Hi,

Would you consider an apt? I had never used an apt before , but looking for suitable accommodations in Madrid for a decent price for the 4 of us frustrated us. So we have booked an apt through Spain Select.
www.spain-select.com

There is another company that I considered, which has all sort of apts:

www.friendlyrentals.com

Also, what are your dates?
Jan 8th, 2009, 11:14 AM

The shower situation at the Alicia that others have explained applies mostly to the standard rooms. The bathroom situation of the executive and jr. suites affords more privacy.

We've experienced many of these "what were they thinking" moments when we see the ultra avant-garde bathrooms in these trendy hotels. We've seen it all, from showers in the MIDDLE of the bedroom, to the huge shower wall completely exposed to the sleeping area (but with mini blinds), to the toilet area exposed to the bedroom via not-so-opaque wall, to just a swinging door that doesn't close completely, to no wall at all, just a curtain, between the bedroom and bath. It seems these "open" baths are de rigueur for some designers of the new, hip hotels. I don't like sharing my ablutions with my room mates!

If you need room for a crib, you really should book a superior room at any Room Mate property for the extra space. But the Alicia wouldn't be the best choice for traveling with a child or elders.

On the same street, there is one hotel, the Hotel Prado, which has both ample sized standard rooms (with a wine theme), traditional private baths and very competitive rates, particularly if one books 3 nights and bookings are made at least 2 weeks in advance.

We also now need to economize because of our constant traveling in euro land, and we've booked the Prado for a March stay. Our rate in late March is 100 euros (with vat but no breakfast). I've written a lengthy review about it in my Madrid guide, because I firmly believe that it's one of Old Madrid's best values.
www.pradohotel.com

But I can't promise that rate for you and your dates. It does usually price out for less than the Hesperia.

Jan 8th, 2009, 12:14 PM

Bookmarking - thanks all
Jan 8th, 2009, 03:25 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the Hotel Prado tip...it fits our budget much better! How does it's sister hotel the Hotel Lope de Vega compare? The rates are actually incrementally cheaper there. Which one would you pick of the two?

Thank you for your help!
Jan 8th, 2009, 04:10 PM

Hi als0107,
Although the Lope de Vega sports 4 stars to the Prado's 3, the comfort level is about the same-not much difference. The staff rotates between the two. If the tariff suits your group better at the Lope de Vega, then just go with it. The street is quieter and 2 blocks closer to the Prado.

You'll have a very handy and inexpensive place to pop into at virtually any hour for coffee, breakfast, sandwiches, salads, tapas/raciones, drinks on the square where Calle Huertas and Moratín meet-called "La Platería Bar Museo"-just one block south of the hotel.