Amsterdam- Rhine and ? in 11 days

Jan 8th, 2009, 02:26 PM
Original Poster

Amsterdam- Rhine and ? in 11 days

I am trying to plan a relaxing 11-day trip. My original plan was 8 days in Amsterdam (2 day trips to delft/Hague and Haarlem) then 3 days in Rhine, staying in Cochem. DH thinks this is too long in Amsterdam so I am considering where else we might go. We are flying in and out of Amsterdam, so that limits us some. Am considering Baden-baden or Koln or Dusseldorf. Any ideas are most welcome. Car rental is a possibility.
Jan 8th, 2009, 02:50 PM

I don't think 8 days are too long for a big city like Amsterdam, but if you want to split diferently, I'd suggest a day or two in Cologne (I did not think too much of Düsseldorf, to be honest) and/or staying longer in the Rhine and Mosel area. Cochem is not on the Rhine but on the Mosel, by the way. The Mosel valley is IMHO much prettier than the Rhine gorge. There is more than enough to do and see in both valleys to keep you busy for a week. You won't need a car, the valleys can easily be explored by train and by boat cruises. Along the Mosel, renting bicycles is also a good option to get around (bikes can be transported both on the cruise boats and local trains).

Baden-Baden is much further South, that would make a huge detour and double the travel distance.
Jan 8th, 2009, 03:40 PM

Not sure how you define "relaxing", but the Mosel/Rhine region is generally pretty good for that. Add a day or two there. There's a good bit to do in Cochem itself, of course. But with Cochem as a base, you can bike along the river (Bullay to Pünderich is easy, scenic) take some walks/hikes (the Marienburg hike from Alf is great and there's an offshoot trail to Arras Castle) cruise up to Beilstein (1 hour each way) bus up to Bad Bertrich for a spa treatment, daytrip to Trier, Burg Eltz castle, and Bernkastel, and hang out in some area wineries.

If you're interested in history, head further out to Trier (Roman, early Christian), daytrip to Remagen for a look at the WW II museum there, tour Marksburg Castle in Braubach, or daytrip to the attractive Rhine villages of Bacharach and Linz.
Jan 8th, 2009, 04:12 PM

You could do six nights in Amsterdam (4 to explore city, 2 for day tripping), then train to Cochem on the Mosel for the remaining five nights and follow Russ's suggestions. You could also visit Luxembourg City, which is a quick train ride from Trier.

Much of your train travel on the Mosel and Rhine can be covered by a Rhineland-Pfalz Länder Pass. Up to 5 people in a group can ride the regional trains from 9:00 am to 3:00 am the following day, for Euro 27,00 total. Here's a link to info:

http://www.bahn.de/international/vie..._tickets.shtml

Also, on the train ride Amsterdam to Cochem, or return, you should plan on stopping in Köln for a few hours.

Have a great time in Amsterdam and Germany.

Robyn >-
Jan 8th, 2009, 04:38 PM
Original Poster

Perfect- I will spend 6 days in Amsterdam and 5 in Cochem. Taking the 7am train from AMS and stopping in Cologne for 6 hrs gets us to Cochem by 6pm. Hope to rent bikes in Cochem, and hike to Elst Castle. Had been thinking about Trier after reading many other posts and your recommendation confirms it's worth a visit despite having seen Rome. Thanks for the tip on a Rhineland-Pfalz Länder Pass, Robyn. This site is so helpful for independent travel planners- I appreciate you all taking the time to reply.