liverpool itinerary

Jan 7th, 2009, 08:32 PM
Original Poster

liverpool itinerary

I will be going to Liverpool for a conference in April and would like to make a longer trip out of it (7 to 10 days). Tentatively, will fly into London and take a train to Liverpool. Then use Liverpool as a base for a couple of day trips. I'm thinking about Manchester, York, or Leeds. Any recommendations or other suggestions? On the trip back from liverpool to London, I'm considering visiting a couple of towns in between, possibly on the train route (not planning on renting a car). The places that come to mind are Ruthin, Bath, Cotswolds. Is this a feasible itinerary? I haven't done much research on the train routes yet so am hoping the frequent travelers on this board can help with some general guidance. I've been to London a few times so don't really need to spend time there on this trip. Any help and suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Jan 7th, 2009, 10:08 PM

Only a quick note right now. Will try to post more tomorrow.

If your conference is in Liverpool - have you considered flying into Manchester instead of London? Places you could visit after Liverpool could include York, north Wales, Chester, The Peak District, Hadrian's Wall, the Dales, the Lake District -- all reachable by train from either Manchester or Liverpool.
Jan 7th, 2009, 10:53 PM

Liverpool's not very well served by train connections to the world outside the immediate conurbation - except for York and Chester.

Compared to Liverpool, Leeds and Manchester are pretty indifferent tourist destinations. Liverpool - now England's most visited city after London - has an extraordinary array of things to see and do, including what's now by far the country's widest array of interesting city-centre architecture.

Bath and the Cotswolds are at least two-day round trips each by car (they're close to nightmarish to get to by train. After years of trying the journey, we've now given up and resign ourselves to the 3.5 hour minimum the drive takes), and there's no railway station at Ruthin. None of the places in janisj's list,apart from Chester and York, are really suited to train travel from Liverpool. (Before we all get into a squabble: yes those places are accessible by train, yes you can then use public transport to get round them, but no you absolutely cannot use Liverpool as a base for rewarding day trips which get you to see anything of the Dales, the Peaks, the Lakes or Hadrian's Wall and get back to your hotel that night)

The remarkable array of castles and mountains in North Wales aren't really accessible by train: the main Chester-Holyhead line runs along the uninspiring coast (on which only Conway is attractive), though with some complicated planning you can use trains to get to Blaneau Ffestiniog.

But what's the objection to hiring a car? Yes, driving to Liverpool from London is a pain. But, once in Northern England, as long as you avoid the area round Manchester (whose peripheral motorway is a near-perpetual car park), the road system is by British standards excellent and untrafficked.

janisj is absolutely right, if you're coming from outside Europe, to suggest flying to Manchester rather than London. A good alternative is Dublin. Getting to Liverpool from any London airport is a pain in the goolies
Jan 7th, 2009, 11:06 PM

PS:

For a map of where trains go, go to http://nationalrail.co.uk/tocs_maps/maps/
Jan 8th, 2009, 05:22 AM

Oh, yes, fly into Manchester. It's soooo much easier, especially if you are on the train. You can visit Chester easily on the train from Liverpool. As for driving, I haven't done that, so you must rely on flanneruk's advice.
Jan 8th, 2009, 07:58 AM

I should have said - "all reachable by public transport from either Manchester or Liverpool." Most are either on rail lines or w/i a reasonable bus ride of a station. Like Hadrian's Wall - trains to Carlisle or Newcastle and then good local buses from there all along the Wall.

Though renting a car would make things easier - seeing those places by public transport is definitely possible.
Jan 8th, 2009, 08:53 AM

I'm not getting into an argument with janis about this.

But believe me: trying to go by train to any of the places she mentions, apart from Chester and York, getting a bus to the object of interest 50 miles further away, getting back again and then getting a train back to Liverpool the same day is virtually impossible. As I spent my youth finding out the hard way.

At best, you'll have three milliseconds to see Hadrian's Wall before getting the infrequent bus back to Carlisle. In this particular case, you can kid yourself you've seen the Wall by training to Newcastle, then getting a cab a few miles east to Wallsend, where there is a stump of Wall. But you'll be the first persion in history to make a 400 mile round trip to see Wallsend, and you'll VERY rapidly wish you hadn't, unless dying shipyards are your thing.
Jan 8th, 2009, 08:55 AM

I was more thinking to/from Manchester.

But as for Hadrian's Wall - there is a terrific bus that connects Newcastle and Carlisle and all points in between several times a day. I almost always rent a car to tour around - but the Roman Wall is one place where one could easily tour by public transport.

http://www.northumberlandnationalpar...table08-lo.pdf
Jan 8th, 2009, 05:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. This gives me a better idea of what I can do. Will do more research and post my final itinerary next week.