Reload this Page >

Hotel Cala di Volpe, Sardinia

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 03:19 AM
John

I am planning a honeymoon to Italy in Aug 03' and considering a few nights at the Hotel Cala di Volpe in Costa Smerelda. I dont know much about the area, would you say that it is worth a visit or should we just expand our itinerary in other areas such as Rome or Florence.

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 06:12 AM
Patrick

We drove by Cals di Volpe and it is supposed to be a wonderful place. Frankly the Costa Smerelda did nothing for me, as it was a big series of resort hotels reminding me of Boca Raton, Florida or some other resort area. You can spend time looking at some of the biggest and fanciest private yachts you've ever seen in your life, and there is a rather wild and active nightclub scene.<BR><BR>The resort will probably be a wonderful spot for a couple of days of the honeymoon, but unless you are totally into sitting around a pool and relaxing, I'd opt for some more exciting travel. Actually I found the rest of Sardinia much more beautiful and interesting than the Costa Smerelda area.

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 06:39 AM
gac

I personally would go elsewhere in Sardinia. I don't think that the Cala di Volpe is worth $1000 per night, even for a honeymoon. There are other wonderful resorts for far, far less, which are quite special.

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 01:04 PM
susan

Sardinia is wonderful, and the Volpe is supposed to be the tops. If you can afford it, do it. But don't miss the smaller towns and countryside of Sardinia, and be sure to get to the west coast, which I think is nicer (but certainly more rustic).

Old Dec 13th, 2002, 04:28 AM
Nick

Getting my opportunity recently to knock Sardinia. Yes beautiful and super clean water on north east (north coats found a bit tedious) and some pleasant scenery inland (but Alpine scenery, Scotland and a number of other places are certainly more impressive in my view), but at a big price and Cala di Volpe is at the top of the pile. Low season was Euro 650 per night , high season - compulsory full meals at Euro 1,500 according to reception, so Gac, you are out of date! we checked out the hotel at lunch out of curiosity - gorgeous inside, though not allowed to see rooms. Clientele - mix of people with well above average number of 50+ year old gangster types (Eastern Europe) with their 20 year old knock outs who look rather like expensive hookers - of course, they could not be, their daughters I am sure. Totally agree with PAtrick's Boca Raton observation.

Old Dec 13th, 2002, 07:16 AM
gac

I actually stayed at Cala di Volpe in the late 70s, and did not think it was worth the cost at that time: $100 or $200 per night, if I remember correctly. I also remember seeing a couple of 20 year old knockouts with their middle aged companions (perhaps there are more today). I'm certain that the pros and cons of the hotel are not all that different today. I'd save the money for other excellent resorts on the Island.

Old Dec 13th, 2002, 04:04 PM
Henly

I stayed at Cala di Volpe in summer of 2000 and absolutely loved it. went back in 2001 and stayed at Grand Hotel Porto Cervo.<BR><BR>Cala di Volpe was absolutely incredible. It is well worth going to Sardinia in August. Italy will be SO HOT and you are on your honeymoon and will appreciate a few days to relax and do nothing on the most gorgeus beach. If you want to budget yourself more, stay at Grand Hotel Porto Cervo. it was so cheap, included meals and luxurious and gorgeus. The difference between the two is Cala di Volpe is like staying a step above a Four Seasons or Ritz Carlton. Grand Hotel is like staying at a Marriott or Sheraton beach front resort.<BR><BR>You will be so happy that you planned a few days to relax and get pampered on Sardinia after crazy hectic sightseeing schedule. I also know of an incredible resort in Tuscany with a pool- that is top class all the way if you do not want to go all the way to sardinia. e-mail me with any ?'s.<BR><BR>http://www.grandhotelinportocervo.it/ing/index.htm

Old Dec 13th, 2002, 05:09 PM
Patrick

Henly, apparently your idea of &quot;so cheap&quot; and mine are quite different. I looked at the website for Grand Hotel Porto Cervo. In August the double rooms range from a low of 418 euro to 546 euro. Compared to Cala di Volpe that may be cheap, but it's not what I'd normally call &quot;SO CHEAP&quot;.

Old Dec 23rd, 2002, 07:59 AM
henly

Patrick, the prices must have increased a great deal. Wow!!! When we were there it was 115 a person per night, including 2 meals. The place is extremely nice, and I thought 230 for the night was a great deal for what we got, especially after staying in Rome at 300 a night in a shoebox with no view.

Old Dec 23rd, 2002, 08:15 AM
CoachBoy

I went to Cala last May and it was wonderful. Spectacular scenery, amazing beach. However, I bought the trip through a silent auction and paid $600 for 4 nights w/meals. For the price, about $1500 per room with meals (the food is great, but alcohol is $$$), I'm not sure. I'd rather stay in Capri or Venice for $400 night and eat out. <BR><BR>These hotels are occupied by the extremely wealthy. I can't think of an hotel in the like it. Even the fanciest joints are only $400/night. One family goes and takes over a wing at the Romazzino every year for 3 weeks: I figure (12 rooms) it costs him over $500,000.<BR><BR>Its good to be king.<BR><BR>CoachBoy

Old Dec 23rd, 2002, 09:57 PM
xx

Go for the Hotel Pitrizza. Yhe ala di Volpe has no private beach and the Pitrizza is lovely and has its private bech. It's better than the Romazzino, I stayed in both.

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 10:50 AM
Maya

Hi,<BR><BR>My fiance didn't mention that we could stay at the Cala di Volpe using Starwood points 8-) If we had to pay we definitely would not be staying there! Thank you for all of the suggestions, we really appreciate it!