hotel and itinerary advice please

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20th, 2006, 04:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this is a repost as folks seem to think my first post title was to vague....

our 3 week trip for next summer is finally beginning to come together. we don't have our airline tix as of yet because we are hoping prices may come down alittle and i would like to see if alitalia is still in business around the beginning of feb.

we do have hotels/apartments/b and b's lined up. i will throw them out here and see if any of you wonderful folks have any thoughts about them....

first: arrive in rome on june 26 and spend 6 nights....strongly considering residenzasan pantaleo....near the spanish steps and the vatican. we are looking at a triple with an xtra bed as we are 4

second: off to greve in chianti staying for 3 nights in the la piazza vacation apartmments....right on the piazza in greve

third: 5 nights in florence at la residenza del pronscolo...across from the duomo

we also want to do a few nights in milan and end in venice for 5 days....

please, any advice, suggestions, etc would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Old Dec 20th, 2006, 04:37 PM

No comment on your itinerary since I've not been to Chianti or some hotels you mentioned, but Alitalia will be in business in some form -- perhaps a restructured one or a liason with Air France -- so I wouldn't postpone buying a ticket based on Alitalia's future.
Old Dec 20th, 2006, 04:39 PM

I wouldn't pospone buying a ticket in the hopes that prices will fall, either (and for your sake I hope all we have heard, and we have heard a lot and from many sources, about rising prices is incorrect)

Yes, they're higher than they have been.

Have you looked at every possible consolidator and aggregator?
Old Dec 20th, 2006, 04:40 PM

I just answered your first post, so check it out. You can click on your name to have all your posts come up.
Old Dec 20th, 2006, 04:51 PM

ajust a bit of a clue in the tile as to where you want to go would help
Old Dec 20th, 2006, 06:36 PM

Hi Randola,

I did a similar trip to Italy last September also for three weeks.

I stayed in Rome (5 nights), Capri (3 nights), Florence (6 nights), Venice (5 nights) and Milan (3 nights).

Unless you're planning on doing daytrips or visiting every single landmark, I think that 6 nights in Florence is too much. I visited Siena and San Gimignano on two separate days. After visiting Assisi, I thought Siena and San Gimignano were just OK. I think 4 nights in Florence are enough if you want to visit Il David, La Galleria degli Uffizi, Santa Croce, Il Duomo, San Miniato al Monte and Le Cappelle Medicee. Florence's historic center is small and easy to walk.

6 nights in Rome are OK. It's nice to roam around the historic center. Piazza Navona, Campo dei Fiori, Il Pantheon and Santa Maria sopra Minerva (sculpture of Michelangelo) are just beautiful. I'm not crazy about Il Trastevere, but a lot of people like it. The Roman Forum is spectacular and San Pietro in Vincoli (another sculpture of Michelangelo) is an amazing church. San Clemente was a total disappointment. I spent 5 nights in Rome and even daytripped to Assisi, which is gorgeous. The Basilica is breathtaking and the entrance is free (unlike Siena and San Gimignano). That was a perfect day. The view from La Rocca Maggiore is superb, but I'm going to stop talking about Assisi because you actually didn't say anything about going there.

I think 3 nights in Milan are OK if you want to visit The Last Supper, Il Duomo and do some shopping. You can even daytrip to Bellagio, which is beautiful (that's what I did in three nights).

5 nights in Venice are excellent. You can spend three full perfect days roaming around the city and one day visiting the isles (Murano, Burano and Torcello). Il Lido is an acquired taste. Some people like it and some people hate it. Don't eat at any restaurants on Mazzorbo (connected to Burano by a bridge). I ate in one of the two restaurants there and I think they're simply tourist traps.

There are so many people in La Galleria degli Uffizi and the Vatican Museums that it's almost impossible to enjoy anything there. Don't forget to make reservations in case you're interested in going to Gli Uffizi. There are fewer people in the Vatican Museums in the afternoon than in the morning (no matter how early you go). I personally think that Vatican City is anything but an spiritual experience. There are so many people that it looks like a theme park, but I have to admit that it's a must when you go to Rome.

The area around San Niccolò dei Mendicoli and Le Zattere (Dorsoduro) are beautiful and calm around sunset. I stayed in a convent near La Madonna dell'Orto (Cannaregio), which I think is another calm and beautiful area. The area around San Pietro di Castello (Castello) is not exactly the most beautiful one, but you definitely won't find any tourists there and that makes it special. The area around San Giacomo dell'Orio is also nice and off the beaten path. Of course, San Marco, Rialto and Il Gran Canal are a must. Palazzo Contarini del Bovolo is quite interesting and it's somewhat near Piazza San Marco.

Our trips differ in the Chianti part, which I've never been to. I went to Capri for three nights and I think it's amazing how that island combines the ordinary with the sublime. I'm planning to go back to Capri on my next trip to Italy. I don't know if I haven't hit the right places (I think I have), but I'm not particularly crazy about Tuscany. I've been to Florence, Siena, San Gimignano and Pisa (on a different trip), and even though I think Florence is a nice city, I can honestly say that I can live without that region. It's my personal opinion, though.

I stayed in convents in Rome, Florence and Venice, and hotels on Capri and in Milan. I've never stayed at the ones you mentioned, so I can't help you there.

I hope this helps in some way.

Something is for sure and it's that you're going to have a blast!

Have a great trip!

Castellanese.
Old Dec 20th, 2006, 06:45 PM

If you're interested in wine tastings in Chianti, I highly recommend the tour and lunch at Verrazano Winery in Greve. My husband and I were there in October for our honeymoon, and it was one of the best parts of our entire trip.
Old Dec 21st, 2006, 07:25 AM

Hi Randola,

I've been everywhere you plan to visit and my personal opinion would be to take 3 days from Florence and spend them instead in southern Tuscany or Umbria.

I would also not "do a few days in Milan". 1 or 2 at most would be enough - rather spend 2 or 3 nights at one of the lakes, ormaybe the ligurian coast) before heading to Venice.

Remember summer will be hot and crowded in the major cities and you are planning on spending most of your 3 weeks there. Take more time for the lovely countryside and balance your trip more. I think you will enjoy it!
Your time planned in Rome and Venice is perfect!

Buon viaggio!