Hotel Amadeus Room Differences?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 02:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to Seville end of March and am interested in booking a room at the Hotel Amadeus from the good comments I've read on here, and its location. They have quoted several different rates for rooms, going up in price from std double, superior double, atico , and then jr suite.

I requested a double bed but they told me they didn't have any, that all their beds were twin beds which could be zipped together. I guess that will be okay if that's all they have, unless I didn't understand their email (which was in response to my requesting a true trouble bed, not twins).

I am considering the std vs. superior double room and wondered if anyone had any opinions or knew how different these are? I don't really care about the cost difference, so that's not a factor. I am sensitive to noise, so I think I will request a room overlooking the inner patio rather than the street unless someone knows that an interior view is even noisier or unpleasant in some way. On their web site, I most liked the rooms on the upper RH corner and the middle of the bottom as they most looked like regular double beds and I liked the simpler style, but they said the top right one looked onto the street.

I was also wondering how many floors this hotel has? I just want to make sure I am not on the ground floor as I don't like that, and wondered if that is where the bad room someone mentioned once is located (narrow room with no privacy, I think Olga or Maribel said they had a room like that)? Does anyone know if that bad room is on the ground floor or if I need to specify something else to make sure I don't get that.

I hope this is not too confusing a post but I appreciate any personal knowledge of these room differences. I will be staying there quite a while or I wouldn't care so much, and I want to make sure I can sleep well and am comfortable.
Old Dec 3rd, 2003, 09:54 PM

i stayed here in june and loved it! they lost our reservation (so check again before you leave) and still gave us a room for the two nights. because of their mess up we had to change rooms after the first night. so the first night we had this huge, great room i think the jr. suite? not sure. it was sage/pale green in decor on the third floor (2nd to them as the ground floor is not counted as #1 but as ground floor) the next night had a nice but considerably smaller room. it still had the double bed, which was two twins pushed together but as i was with a friend i didn't care the layout, and a loveseat and a desk. we really only slept and made pit stops there as we were out ALL day. they spoiled us though giving us the larger room the first night. and they charged us 88E a night which was the rate of the smaller room since they lost my reservation. even with the mix up i would totally stay there again. the staff was friendly and even when we came in at 3am they were up to let us in without us having to ring the bell.
if you want restaurant/bar recommendations let me know. i remember a few names
Old Dec 4th, 2003, 04:05 AM

keb -

I am going to Sevilla (as part of a 2 week Spain trip) in mid-February.

Although I am staying at the Hotel Alcantara (I'm on more of a budget), this hotel is not far from Amadeus, I don't think, so I'd love to know about your restaurant/bar recommendations.

Christina - sorry to try to get more info off of your thread!

Thanks,
Karen
Old Dec 4th, 2003, 06:46 AM

To continue the tangent, I stayed at the Hotel Alcantara last year, and it was fantastic. If you'd like to get some nearby restaurant recommendations, just drop me an e-mail, kaudrey! My address is [email protected].
Old Dec 4th, 2003, 07:36 AM
aj

My husband and I stayed at the Hotel Amadeus last May and loved it. The room was small and a lovely gold color. The bathroom was small but very clean and the towels were fresh and fluffy every day. I believe we were on the 2nd floor (Marie Calas (sp) room. There is a nice view from the top of the hotel and the staff is friendly and helpful. I would stay there again. Enjoy Seville it is a beautiful city. By the way, we walked everywhere from the location of the hotel.
Old Dec 4th, 2003, 11:14 AM
Original Poster

thanks for the comments, I'm trying to decide what to ask for quickly as I'm afraid they'll get booked for Santa Semana.

I don't think I'll book the suite. Keb, was that suite on the top floor, so that they have a total of three floors (counting ground)? I saw a post from brianc57 on here who didn't think the suite was good value and I don't need anything like that.

aj, could you tell me if your room look over the front or the patio, and was it a regular or superior double? How small is small, approximately? I don't need a huge room but I will be there a week so will go nuts if it's too small as I can get claustrophobic a little sometimes. I guess I think 12x14 or so is a decent size. I mainly judge by how much room there is other than the bed to walk around. Is your room, the Maria Callas, on their web site that you know?
Old Dec 4th, 2003, 11:30 AM

We stayed at the Amadeus last winter in the blue room (there is a picture on site). I believe it was considered a superior. The bathroom was quite large with bidet. The room was not TOO big - if you look at the picture and are standing with the same view - there are 2 chairs and a piano behind you. The window faces a back courtyard - no view essentially. The rooftop was great but it was winter so we didn't spend much time up there.

We enjoyed the hotel but I was not so impressed with the room (as compared to the rest of the hotel). The bed looks different from what I remembered but it was large so it could've been 2 twin beds put together..

I don't think there are any rooms on the ground floor. The blue room is on the 3rd floor and I believe that is the top floor before the rooftop. Our bathroom window faced the inside stairwell (weird!) so we were nervous about opening up the window to vent the steam - but we didn't notice anyone going up past the 3rd floor.

I'm sorry my memory is not great! I will check for more details. We really liked the Amadeus overall though!!
Old Dec 4th, 2003, 01:24 PM
aj

Christina,

The bed seemed to be a double although maybe a little larger. It pretty much filled the room. I just asked for a double when I booked. I am not sure what the window overlooked since I did not spend much time in the room or looking out the window. The view from the top is wonderful. I did peak into a room being cleaned on the next floor up and it seemed much larger. Our small room was fine and cozy for us since we always try to go budget but I would call it "boutique". There was fresh fruit and nuts and the room and as I said the best towels I have had in a hotel in a long time. The first floor was beautiful with a fountain and many beautiful tiles all around. I love all the pictures on the walls with the music theme. It makes me feel good now just thinking of Seville. The location was the best! I am sure you will be happy no matter what room you get just enjoy the city!!! I am not sure I recognize the room on the website but the yellow color was lovely.
Old Dec 5th, 2003, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

thanks, that helps. I found the post from Maribel and she said there was one room on the ground floor and that was the one to avoid. I'm amazed there was a piano in that room, I thought there were only pianos on the ground floor! I play the piano, actually, and that's one reason I wanted to stay there, but don't need one in my room.

I agree that sounds weird to have a window overlooking a stairway and don't think I'd like that. I guess no one has stayed in the "atico" but their web site doesn't have a sage green room that I see--I thought the suite was the room white white walls and pointed ceiling on there. I assume the atico is a penthouse from the name, and Maribel said the suite and atico were worth the extra fee. The atico is really the same price as a superior double during Santa Semana so could be a good deal if it is very nice as I guess I'll try for the superior double. I was afraid a penthouse might not have privacy if there are people on the roof terrace and it's on the roof.
Old Dec 5th, 2003, 11:34 AM
SRS

Christina,

I too am thinking of staying at the Amadeus in March, but more mid-than late. Can you tell me apprx. when Maribel's post was? I searched for comments on the Amadeus and have been watching your post for replies, but I must have missed her comment.

Thanks!
SRS
Old Dec 5th, 2003, 11:55 AM

You can find this information here:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threadselect.jsp?fid=2
Old Dec 5th, 2003, 12:07 PM

Sorry, my computer skills are not good.
I'll try the old-fashioned way:
Maribel wrote on 05/12/2003, 10:35 pm:
"But the cute little Amadeus we also found very pleasant on a more modest scale. The extremely nice gentleman who works nights takes great pride in the place, and it's a lovely budget option, I think. The rooftop terrace (actually slightly nicer than the one at the Casa del Maestro, as it's closer to the cathedral) is particularly pleasant and the musical theme, plus special musical events, a plus. The location, within a stone's throw of Modesto for the best pescaito frito in all of Seville (me thinks), la Carboneria for impromptu flamenco, in the heart of the Barrio Santa Cruz, but yet tucked away, can't be beat. Just don't try to reach it in a car! But I wouldn't book the one room on the ground floor behind the sitting room, as there's a lack of privacy and it's rather narrow, but the atico and jr. suite are very much worth the modest splurge. We liked it a lot and thought it had soul."

Old Dec 5th, 2003, 12:12 PM
SRS

Arikson,

Thanks so much!

SRS
Old Dec 5th, 2003, 04:04 PM

i just looked at their website and i was wrong -sorry. the larger room we stayed in was not sage but the bedding was green floral so thats what was in my head. its the one with the dark exposed wood beam ceiling and flowery bed in the center of the photo. as i'm not at home i can't look at my receipt to see the name room but it was lovely. the photo is taken from the bath tub. odd i know but when you come in the door the bed was to the left and to the right a sofa with a large tub behind it . then the sink and a shower/toilet room on the far left wall. if you're there for a week you might be more comfy in the larger room.
as for bars someone copied maribels statement and it mentioned la Carboneria. its the best! walk from amadeus its super close and when you walk in don't have second thoughts just keep going thru and get a drink, sit down and enjoy the singing. also the people take breaks so its not over when they stop. i saw lots of people leaving when the performers were just taking a break.
and the tapas place i like i can't remember the name of. i'll have to look it up. i could walk you there no problem but can't remember what its called. and theres a good ice cream place, Rayas, nearby.
lucky you! i've been to sevilla twice and would still love to go back.
Old Dec 8th, 2003, 01:56 PM
Original Poster

thanks, Keb, I thought that room was probably the suite. I am being a little more nervous than usual about getting a comfortable/nice room because I'll be there a week and I'll be alone. A nice room can set the tone for me and make a vacation a lot more enjoyable, although I know the area is good anyway. Also, since I'll be alone I probably won't be out at night as much as someone else could be.

I've cut to make up my mind, I know -- I think I would book the atico if I knew more about it and was sure it wouldn't have windows people could look into on the roof or something, but that's kind of what I'm afraid of -- also, if I had any idea which of those pictures might be the atico. It's only a little more in cost that the superior double. I think Maribel has seen it, I'm hoping she will see this. If I wait too long, I'll get nothing, I know, and kick myself.
Old Dec 8th, 2003, 04:31 PM

Christina,
I'm afraid I haven't seen the ático, priced at 101 euros. The comment I made subsequently on the ático (not the jr. suite, priced at 126) was based on brianc57's review after he and his wife stayed there during their honeymoon in May:

"Beautiful place, and ideal location, and if you can get one of the standard rooms, go for it. But don't get the suite (we went for it as it was the only one available) . We were quite disappointed with the suite, as it was priced 25% higher than the other rooms, and really was just a reconsructed attic. The ceiling kept dropping pieces of wood and dust onto the bed and the floor. It was a dark room (albeit large) with old tiles, a TV that didn't work (not that I would have watched any). But the staff is quite amiable, and the rooftop terrace is perfect"

I saw a standard double upstairs and the downstairs double. The 1 downstairs room has high ceilings and is rather narrow for 2 (but would be fine just for 1 person) although prettity decorated. I didn't find it particuarly private because it's right on the hallway that runs between the sitting/living room where the grand piano is placed (where evening concerts are given) and the parlor at the end of the house. So guests would walk by that room when going to the back sitting area. But that may not bother you.

Yes, all the rooms are twins pushed together with double, antique headboards and are sound-proofed.

What captivated me about the little place (I love quaint, antique filled B&Bs but they must have modern baths!) was the sweetness of the gentleman who showed us around and the obvious pride he took in this 18th century seignorial home, the lovely rooftop terrace with views of the Giralda and the fantastic location down a tiny alley in the very heart of the Santa Cruz quarter (right in the middle of things yet tucked away), plus the really reasonable tariffs (even in Holy Week and Feria). And tapas bars (Modesto, Casa Román, Hostería del Laurel on the Plaza de los Venerables) and flamenco venues (La Carbonería, Casa de la Memoria) are steps away. Location, location, location!
Old Dec 8th, 2003, 04:39 PM
SRS

Maribel,

Based on your advice through many threads, I am holding a reservation at Casa 7. How would you say this hotel compares? I am thinking of switching - mainly because the price is so reasonable. Any thought?

Thanks!!
SRS
Old Dec 8th, 2003, 05:17 PM

SRS,
The Casa 7 and the Amadeus are totally different experiences, different ambience, but they do share a great location.

The Casa 7 is half the size, with only 6 guest rooms and has the feel of a very elegant, hierloom filled, aristocratic, rather British formal, private townhouse with white jacketed butlers (hope they're still there!) at your beck and call. It isn't really commerical at all. It began as a pied a terre for don Gonzalo del Río y González -Gordon's well to do British "to the manor born" friends, then he opened it up to the general public when he created his web site. The early entries by the British upper crust guests in the leather bound guest book are quite amusing, before it became a commercial venture. "Lovely home, lovely stay, no children, no Americans"(!!)

This more-British-than-Spanish sherry baron knew nothing about the hotel business, having been the president of González Byass sherry in London. He simply wanted to renovate a beautiful Santa Cruz quarter home and open it up to paying guests (he lives in another mansion up the street), and his mother called it his "folly".

Since don Gonzalo is the scion tto the González Byass sherry dynasty and friend of the British and Spanish Royal families, there's that proper, aristocratic air that a commerical B&B just doesn't have.

Breakfast (scrambled eggs, toast, ham, orange marmalade) was served in the formal dining room on fine china and silver by the two white gloved butlers. In the formal parlor/drawing room filled with fine furniture, Persian rugs, marble floors, exquisite fabrics, priceless oil paintings, we sipped sherry from the honor bar with don Gonzalo a few nights (but he's often NOT in residence-when we met him he had just been off on a wild game safari in Africa then salmon fishing in Scotland-what a life!).

In our room there was a sterling framed picture of him as a child with his mother in gala dress-you get the picture-and instead of packaged soap, there was a beautiful crystal decanter filled with bath gel that I was afraid to take into the shower for fear it might break! And the bars in the tall closets were hung so high (for ballgowns, I would assume), I had to use the step stool to be able to hang my clothes up. Totally impractical as a hotel room but a glimpse into a glamorous life style I'll certainly never achieve (but love to sample, nonetheless).
I kept our room immaculate!

Plus sterling framed pictures of Prince Phillip, King Alfonso XIII, etc. strewn about the place. Even the elevator doors on each floor were camouflaged with a handpainted mural. A basic elevator door would be crass and commerical.
A very privileged environment, far from the madding crowds. Something out of Noel Coward.

We were in the yellow room facing the street.
These trappings of luxury left scattered about may be long gone by now. I believe he does now have a house manager.

Tatler magazine voted Casa 7 their small hotel of the year.

Hope that gives you a better picture of what Casa 7 is all about.
Old Dec 8th, 2003, 05:28 PM
SRS

Thanks for the further feedback Maribel!

Perhaps I should stick with Casa 7. It sounds like it would be a great experience!

I have some thinking to do!

SRS
Old Dec 8th, 2003, 10:36 PM

Dear SRS,

My husband and I stayed at the Casa#7 last month.It is lovely and service is great.However we looked at the Amadeus up the street and were impressed with the friendly staff and the very friendly travellers who were there.For a first time traveller or someone alone, I would recommend the Amadeus .The owner of Casa#7 was not in residence and the office manager did not have his extensive knowledge of Seville.The older primarily British clientele at the Casa were a bit more reserved than the folks at the Amadeus, which we actually visited twice.When we go back that will be our choice.

Just my 2 cents for what it is worth!!

PS-we smelled smoke in the suite-ask them to clear the room for you in advance if you are a non smoker.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -