Hotel Advice Need for Positano

Dec 28th, 2005, 12:07 PM
SRS
Original Poster

Hotel Advice Need for Positano

I am planning a trip for next August to the Amalfi Coast area. I am thinking that we will stay in Positano. We will be there for four nights, then spending one night in Caserta with relatives, and finally three nights in Naples.

My husband and I will be travelling for a week before this, but this leg of the journey will be with my BIL and SIL who will be on their first trip to Italy. Thus I am more stressed re picking the right place than I might ordinarily be.

At any rate, I don't want the trip to be terribly expensive and so I am trying to find wonderful yet moderate hotels in the Positano area.

I am have narrowed it down a bit and am now looking for specifics on certain hotels.

Casa Cosenza (Positano) -
http://www.casacosenza.it/english/Default.htm. I have gotten a quote on this one for Room 7 and a suite. My quotes are 130 euros for Room #7; 140 euros for Suite if in cash. There are only three reviews on tripadvisor - which are good, but I can find nothing else. Anyone know anything about the location / looks of this place.

Venus Inn (Positano) -
http://www.sleepingpositano.com/V-G%...eng/home.html; http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev..._Campania.html - 105 Euro per night with balony and view of city and partial view of ocean. Breakfast is included. This one looks like a cute little place. I can't find a photo of the bathroom which always causes me concern. Also I think the main balcony is shared by all the rooms which may not matter as we would be in two of them. Also I don't think they have a/c but say on thier website something about their ceilings being shaped a certain way. Anyone know anything about the location / looks of this place.

Residence La Tavolozza (Positano)
Haven't heard back on a quote but I think it will be around 85 Euros per night. http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev..._Campania.html. Again not much out there on it, but the pictures on tripadvisor look nice. Anyone know anything about the location / looks of this place.

I am also looking at Villa Rosa, Villa La Tartana, Hotel California, and a possible splurge at Hotel Marincanto. These hotels have plenty of feed back though so I feel like I am not taking a chance.

Also I have considered Le Sirene in Praiano where Ira said but am thinking that might be a bit hard for sightseeing. Am I correct?

As I said normally I wouldn't feel so stressed re this, but with my relatives counting on me I want to strike gold!

Thanks!!
Sally
Dec 28th, 2005, 12:16 PM

Sally,
We stayed at the Hotel California and were very happy with it. If you do a search here you will find a few threads on it-good location, big rooms/bathrooms, comparitively speaking and a great view.
Dec 28th, 2005, 12:26 PM

Sally - we stayed a couple of nights at La Tartana and were very impressed. The location is ideal (just a few steps up from the beach, literally next door to the Santa Maria (sp?) church dome (we could practically touch the duomo from our balcony). The breakfast was included (served on our balcony) as is the case for most, if not all, places in Positano. I recall that La Tartana got great reviews from Trip Advisor (the main reason I picked it for us and another couple). We had two adjoining rooms on the 5th floor (4th floor in US), and there were only 3 rooms on that floor. The cost was 150 Euros per night per room, not a bad price for Positano. The staff at the hotel are very helpful too.

KC
Dec 28th, 2005, 02:19 PM
SRS
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick responses - I appreciate it!! I feel pretty good about both of those.

Does anyone know about the other three?

Thanks,
Sally
Dec 28th, 2005, 02:30 PM

Hi

Our neighbours stayed at Villa Rosa and were very happy with it.
Dec 29th, 2005, 12:42 PM

I'll second La Villa Tartana. We stayed there this past September. We had a great view from our room and the staff were very helpful. Just be prepared to walk up alot of steps - no elevators here!
Dec 29th, 2005, 02:11 PM

Another vote for Villa Rosa. I believe all double rooms have a private terrace overlooking Positano and the ocean. The views are spectacular. We paid 150 Euros in August and this included a light breakfast. Breakfast (coffee, juice and croissants) is delivered to your private terrace each morning. The hotel is an easy walk to the beach.
Dec 29th, 2005, 03:16 PM

Yet another thumbs up for Villa Rosa!
Dec 29th, 2005, 03:28 PM

Sally- i answered your query re casa cosenza at TTG. check there....
Dec 29th, 2005, 04:47 PM

You likely know about how vertical the town of Positano is. I would make sure to ask how many steps from the street to any hotel I was considering. Casa Cosenza sounds as if it might be many, many steps from the closest street.

I also recommend that soon after you arrive in Positano, you become familiar with the local bus routes of the Flavio Gioia bus system, which runs throughout Positano, to the little hilltowns above Positano, and to Praiano. This bus system can be very helpful. The steps are good exercise, of course, but they can be very tiring. The bus fares are very reasonable - about 1 euro per trip.

Best wishes with your decision.

Suzy Kane, http://www.idyllicitaly.com
Dec 30th, 2005, 12:38 AM

Sally- here are my comments on casa cosenza:

I spent a couple of night at Casa Cosenza the fiest time I visited the Amalfi Coast, a few moons ago.

It's a family run place, B&B style in the former family house, located on the stairs going down to the Marina and Beach. I liked it very much, though I had a small room, and Shower / Bathroom combination. I found the young woman who was running the place very nice and helpful.

It's not too upscale, but has an expansive terrace with a nice view to enjoy your breakfast, which will be a typical Italian breakfast of cornetto and coffee. You could see the beach and the boats at night, and there was a little noise from late night revelers, but nothing too serious.

The rooms were quite clean and comfortable, and the biggest consideration to me was that it's not right on the road, so luggage must be carried up and down some steep steps. That was no problem for me, but you may have different needs. Location is 200 or so steps up from the beach and marina, or down from the road. Wherever you decide to stay, enjoy your time there!
Dec 30th, 2005, 06:50 AM
SRS
Original Poster

Thank you all again! I have again narrowed it down.

The California is out because if we cancel at any time, they will charge us for one night. It is too early for me to be completely committed without flexability.

The Tartana is also out becuase they only have partial view rooms left and none with balconies.

I'm leaning towards either the Villa Rosa or the Casa Cosenza.

The Villa Rosa has two apartments - they can't say which we would recieve. Apparantly, one room has a view and other is without. Sounds fine to me, but I wrote them to see which would give us a larger balcony (all four of us want to be able to comfortably be on the balcony at once). Also, I asked them where the apartments were located. From tripadviser, it appears one is #39 and is on one of the higest floors, but I am wondering about the other one. Anyone who has stayed at Villa Rosa and didn't spring for a suite have any opinions on the double rooms versus the 2 bedroom/2 bath apartment?

As to the Casa Cosenza, it looks really nice on the internet, and the terrace is wonderfully large. Bellastar - would you stay there again?

What are peoples thoughts on the convenience or lack of convenience of Praiano?

Thanks again everyone!
Sally
Jan 2nd, 2006, 12:37 PM

I stayed here two years ago. The rooms are cozy and the bathroom cozier. They have all the amenities you need and are of equal size ot most European hotel rooms. However, the balcony is huge and that is where you will spend most of your time when in your room. It is in a great location adn easy to walk to the beach from here. I would stay here again on a return trip! My husband and I feel in love with this place and Positano - enjoy your stay!
Jan 4th, 2006, 06:59 AM
SRS
Original Poster

Thank you again for all your help. After doing more research here - I decided on a hotel not on my first list - the Villa Lara in Amalfi. I can't find many reviews, but it looks really lovely.

I am hoping that Amalfi will work well as a base. I reviewed tons of old posts and it seems like it might offer more in terms of a small town atmosphere. Also I am thinking the bus connections from here will be good. Let me know if you think I've fallen off my rocker.

Anyway, thanks again.
Sally