Search

Hotel Advice

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29th, 2011, 06:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel Advice

We would appreciate any advice on hotels with either family or quad rooms (2 adults and two teenaged girls) in the following cities: (location, cleanliness and airconditioned rooms important)
Paris
Interlaken
Florence (Santa Croce area preferred)
Rome
Venice
Old Dec 29th, 2011, 06:12 AM
J62

For a family of 4 I recommend apartments. The website www.slowtrav.com is a great place to start, but with 12 nights I'm not sure this trip would classify as slow travel. Many apartments have a minimum stay so it may be hard to get an apartment for just 1 or 2 nights.

Have you considered flying into Paris and out of Rome, instead of starting / ending your trip in Frankfurt?
Old Dec 29th, 2011, 09:20 AM

I've stayed in this hotel in Paris and liked it a lot, it is a super convenient location in the Latin Qtr/St Germain border. http://www.trianon-rive-gauche.com/

They don't have quads but 2 interconnecting rooms to fit 4 (1 double, 2 twins), which is better anyway, and each has its own bath.

I presume you have no budget criteria as you don't mention one. That hotel is priced very well for Paris, anyway.
Old Dec 29th, 2011, 09:51 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The Hotel Bavaria in Florence has quad rooms. The hotel is located about halfway between the Duomo and Santa Croce. You'll have to ask about A/C.

http://www.hotelbavariafirenze.it/

In Rome, the Hotel Fontanella Borghese has quad rooms. The hotel is located about halfway between the Spanish Steps and the Piazza Navona. There is A/C throughout the hotel.

http://www.fontanellaborghese.com/en...otti-rome.html

We've stayed at the Fontanella Borghese multiple times. I have no personal experience at the Bavaria in Florence, but family members reported on their enjoyable stay.
Old Dec 29th, 2011, 12:48 PM

In Paris we booked, but have not yet stayed at, Hotel Danube St. Germain, located at 58, rue Jacob, in the 6th in a quad room.

In Florence, we stayed as a group of three at a lovely B&B in the Santa Croce area, Casa dei Tintori. The bed for our daughter was a single-person foldout sofabed; there are two in the room. As I don't know your price point, you may find two double rooms affordable. The owners are delightful, the B&B beautiful, the breakfast delicious, and the location was great for us.
Old Dec 29th, 2011, 01:52 PM

Another option in Florence is the favorably-reviewed La Casa del Garbo located in Piazza della Signoria.

http://www.casadelgarbo.it/index.php
Old Dec 29th, 2011, 06:37 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the valuable advice!
Old Dec 29th, 2011, 07:29 PM

I can give a "qualified" thumbs down on La Casa del Garbo. An outstanding location, but it is pricey, cleanliness wasn't top notch and the breakfast was truly substandard.
Old Dec 29th, 2011, 08:56 PM

Wow, Aramis, your comments are surprising. I've only heard (and read) good things about the Garbo.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...e_Tuscany.html

http://www.karenbrown.com/Hotel_Guid...Garbo/6355.php

http://www.venere.com/bandb/florence...garbo/#reviews
Old Dec 30th, 2011, 04:32 AM

"Thank you all for the valuable advice!"

The best advice you have gotten is on the other thread you began - that you need to drastically alter your travel plans. Paris, Rome, Venice, Florence, Interlaken and the Jungfrau cannot be experienced in just 12 days - especially since you are starting and ending in Frankfurt.
Old Dec 30th, 2011, 06:12 AM

oh,, six places in 12 days,, you won't need hotels,, you can sleep in the train stations,, lol , Sorry, thats not very helpful,, I can suggest a few places in Paris, but what is your budget criteria.
Old Dec 30th, 2011, 06:29 AM

Check out the Hotel Genio in Rome, located (perfectly for us) at Piazza Navona.

We have stayed there twice, most recently last month. Our room was a good size, and nicely furnished. We thought the breakfast was very good, and really enjoyed the rooftop terrace.

They do have quad rooms, and usually have special offers.

http://www.hotelgenioroma.it/index-eng.php

Have a good trip.

Byrd
Old Dec 30th, 2011, 06:47 PM

La Casa Del Garbo;

Grocery store croissants with prepackaged spreads, cantaloupe slices, and a plastic bottle of orange drink for breakfast. Seriously, that's all there was - for three days. 1/8 of an inch of dust on the top of the lampshades and collections of same in the corner of the rooms.

I'm sure some rooms offered a better experience but I can't imagine people overlooking that breakfast.

It is also not a "family run" B&B - it is staffed only during specific hours.
Old Dec 30th, 2011, 06:49 PM

Russ said;

"The best advice you have gotten is on the other thread you began - that you need to drastically alter your travel plans. Paris, Rome, Venice, Florence, Interlaken and the Jungfrau cannot be experienced in just 12 days - especially since you are starting and ending in Frankfurt."

Sure you can Russ, just not the way you would want do it. And maybe the OP's plans changed. She didn't ask for itinerary advice or critique, she asked for hotel recommendations.
Old Dec 31st, 2011, 04:19 AM

"Sure you can Russ, just not the way you would want do it." Does this mean you have some hotel tips for my 12-day San Francisco - Honolulu - Anchorage - San Francisco bicycle trip, Aramis?
Old Dec 31st, 2011, 07:12 AM

If that is what you asked, and I had useful information, I would let you know.

I will let you figure what it means that you had to take up a farcical position to respond.
Old Dec 31st, 2011, 07:20 AM

If your budget allows, try for connecting rooms rather than a quad - for one thing, that gives you two bathrooms. And more storage space. However, in Paris, Hotel La Bourdonnais has genuine quads (two double beds in the room) and several have great views of the Eiffel Tower.
Given your planned itinerary, it's absolutely essential in this case that everyone pack light (and I am not usually a packlight zealot). Each traveller should take no more than a 22" carryon bag and a small daypack. You are going to have to make every second count and you don't want to be running from place to place with heavy luggage.
Old Dec 31st, 2011, 09:08 AM

Aramis writes, "Sure you can Russ, just not the way you would want do it. And maybe the OP's plans changed. She didn't ask for itinerary advice or critique, she asked for hotel recommendations."

"I will let you figure what it means that you had to take up a farcical position to respond."

Only marginally more farcical than the OP's itinerary. But these comments from you to me are not helpful to the OP at all - which was your complaint about my comments - so if you truly want to help the OP, howzabout this:

1.) you provide your tips to the OP, and I provide mine.
2.) I don't comment on your responses, and you don't comment on mine.
3.) The OP judges whether our tips are relevant and wise.
4.) If you want to chat with me about my irrelevant and nonsensical comments, send me an email.

Over and out.
Old Jan 1st, 2012, 08:39 AM

Russ

1) Sure - no other possibility here, is there?
2) I can't promise that one.
3) I'm sure already do.
4) This is more informative for the forum participants
Old Jan 1st, 2012, 09:51 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Pensione La Calcina is a beautiful hotel in Venice www.lacalcina.com I don't think have quads but do offer some apartments in addition to the regular hotel rooms.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -