Hostels in Paris

Search

Hostels in Paris

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17th, 2009, 07:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hostels in Paris

I know that there are previous threads related to this topic but they are a few years old. I am looking for cheap but clean hostels in Paris for a young couple (23). they don't mind dorm style rooms as they have just graduated from university and are accustomed to rez life. They will be traveling on a very limited budget so any suggested would be greatly appreciated. A good location, close to subway and train would be a bonus.
Old Sep 17th, 2009, 07:35 PM

You can try the Aloha hostel in Montparnasse. My niece stayed there and she liked it.

Hostel sites have ratings by folks who have stayed so you might want to check the various sites to see what people have said. Most people on this board do not stay in hostels. You can also post on the thorntree site which belongs to Lonely Planet. Most locations in Paris are quite close to metro stations or not a very far walk from one.

In terms of being close to a train station - the station the hostel is close to might not be the station you need so being close to a train station should not be the criteria. The location you travel to determines which station you will leave from (same with arriving in Paris). The metro will take them to any train station they want.
Old Sep 17th, 2009, 10:38 PM

This website has 3 hostels, all in the Marais district

http://www.mije.com/index_individuels_uk.asp

and you might find a cheap place at www.budgetplaces.com - they have loads of 1* and 2* hotels listed on offer.

You'll find reviews on tripadvisor.
Old Sep 18th, 2009, 03:03 AM

I second julia t's mention of the MIJE hostels in the Marais, not far from Notre Dame Cathedral - these are in three ancient edifices that the city of Paris bought some decades ago to serve as youth hotels - yes hotels they call themselves instead of hostels - there are more private rooms - quads or doubles - i've had groups i've taken to Paris and have stayed in all three - i esp like the Maubisson - can't go wrong IMO here and a neat area. But for a great run-down of dozens and dozens of hostels and youth hotels, like the famous Three Ducks Hostel, i'd go to a library and get a copy of Let's Go France - the Let's Go series is IMO unparalleled in their objective coverage of budget digs, esp hostels. Also try www.hostelworld.com
Old Sep 18th, 2009, 03:30 AM

If the travellers are looking for the whole hostel experience, I'd agree that they can't do better than the MIJE hostels.

If they're just after cheap accommodation, as julia_t says, there are plenty of hotels that are in similar price bracket to those charged by MIJE, particularly for a double room.

One such hotel is the Herse D'or which I can say is basic, but clean and well run, and very well positioned. Here's a link; http://www.parishotelherseor.com/french/location.html