Honeymooning in Paris, April 2012

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20th, 2011, 02:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone...first off, I have to thank you for your responses as I know you probably get a lot of these questions. My fiance and I decided to go to Paris for our honeymoon next April.
Our wedding is the 7th and we're going to fly out of Seattle as early as possible (having a short afternoon reception) on the 8th. I am completely un-knowledgeable about planning any sort of European trip, and I need a lot of help. We want to see all the big things, but can pass on the museums except for the Louvre. We really want it to be an easy going honeymoon, and not plan too much, and just play it by ear. Is that possible? We will have 7 total days in Paris, so we want to make the most of our time. What do you all recommend we see and do? and not just typical touristy stuff, we'd love to see some non-touristy things too.

Some of the things that are a must:
Eiffel tower at day and night
Louvre
Sacre-Cour
Notre Dame
Catacombs
A cemetery (but which one)
Paris Disney haha

Anything you can all recommend would be fantastic. And if you could point us in the right directions for tickets for events etc, that would be fantastic. Also...we haven't booked anything yet, so are there any hotel recomendations? I think we can afford to spend up to, but no more than $500 US/night. we'd like to keep it lower than that if possible.

Thanks!!!
Old Jun 20th, 2011, 03:15 PM

I would recommend St Germaine des Present are in the 6th. Here is a link to Fodor's listing og hotels in that area. http://www.fodors.com/world/europe/f...oc:708406.html. There are many charming hotels in the area, plenty of cafes, several metro stops.
Old Jun 20th, 2011, 03:16 PM

Meant St Germaine des Pres area
Old Jun 20th, 2011, 05:45 PM

Get a Paris Museum Pass to avoid waiting in line at most museums and sites. Check their website for a list of places that accept the pass (most do). Don't bother to get it before you go, but do get it at a smaller, less busy museum (I get mine the afternoon before I plan to use it...you write the start date on it when you start to use it). It comes in 2, 4 and 6 day "varieties" but must be used on consecutive days.

Important to check where you want to go and the days that they are CLOSED (don't go to the Louvre on Tuesday, it is closed).

I love Musee d'Orsay, but if you must go to the Louvre...plan what you really want to see and where it is located. It is massive!!

Hit Berthillon for ice cream! Delicious and located on Ile St Louis which is charming.

Le Grand Inter-continental is very nice and located near Opera Garnier. You might also consider Relais St Germain in the 6th. I love the area around the hotel and the restaurant there (Le Comptoir is terrific).
Old Jun 20th, 2011, 06:02 PM

A lot of great links for apartments in Paris on these forums. I think you can get a great place for under a 1000.00 a week,then you would have lots to spend all all that lovely wine and food. I think staying in an apartment makes you feel like you are really part of the city and you could find a very romantic lovely place. Musee d'Orsay is tops on my list. Disney Paris, hey, your from Seattle, I live an hour from Disney here in Fl so you might really enjoy it. I go to Epcot to eat french pastry...Watch Giada's weekend in Paris on the food network, she showed some great place to view the Eiffel tower at night.
Old Jun 20th, 2011, 07:15 PM

If you have $500 a night and a week to spend in Paris I would contact Paris Perfect apartments and ask about Chablis or Quincy apartments. For less money than that I would stay in a superior room at the Hotel Relais Bosquet with an Eiffel Tower view.

I've been to Disneyland many times and thought Disney Paris was beautiful.
Old Jun 20th, 2011, 07:36 PM

I recommend getting a couple of guide books. I like Rick Steve's Paris especially for first timers. In addition to information about sites in Paris it has a lot of practical information about closing and opening times, transportation options, basic descriptions of museums to help you decide, etc. For food I like the Michelin Red Guide. If you have up to $500 a night check out www.cobblestay.com and www.guestapartment.com for apartment rentals. I have not stayed at either of these, but I have been researching these sites for a trip in June 2012 and I really like the look of the apartments.
Old Jun 25th, 2011, 11:04 PM
Original Poster

I like the apartment ideas, but my fiance doesn't want to stay in an apartment. It's our honeymoon, so he wants to stay in a nice hotel.

flpab...I've been to WDW and DIsney Land lol. I took my kids to WDW last October for 10 days can't wait to get back.

How do we get from the airport to our hotel?
Old Jun 26th, 2011, 02:04 AM

flpab..you don't have to go to Disney to get French pastries..there is a very good French baker in Winter Park on MOrse Blvd
Old Jun 26th, 2011, 03:45 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Since it's your honeymoon and you seem to have a rather large hotel budget, I would take a taxi from the airport to the hotel. There are less expensive options involving an airport bus or the RER suburban railroad, and then a transfer to the metro within Paris, but you will have bags and might be just a bit tired from the wedding and the long flight. Taxis line up right outside the terminals.
Old Jun 26th, 2011, 03:55 AM

For a first visit to Paris stay in a hotel, and you can find wonderful accomodations for far less than that price. The desk at the hotel can make reservations for you, tell you how to get somewhere, etc. AND you can have room service for breakfast probably.
Definitely take a taxi from the airport. There is nothing like a first view of the Eiffel Tower and not worrying how you are going to get to your hotel.
Please don't waste a day at Disney. It is a MUCH smaller park, and you have done the Disney thing to give up a day in Paris--or a different side trip.
Old Jun 26th, 2011, 04:36 AM

For hotels, consider the Relais St. Germain, www.hotel-paris-relais-saint-germain.com

I don't understand the interest in catacombs and would not waste time seeing them, particularly not on a first trip. I would not give them priority over the Musee d'Orsay, as an example.
Old Jun 26th, 2011, 05:39 AM

Something you really should see is Sainte Chapelle, a small church with incredible stained glass windows very near Notre Dame. It is my favorite sight in Paris.

An evening Seine river cruise is a wonderful way to see many of the sights of Paris. We like the Vedettes du Pont Neuf which leaves from the bridge of the same name (Pont Neuf). Leave just before dusk and see the lights come on all over Paris.

Visit Luxembourg Gardens - should be lovely in April.

If you visit the Louvre, be sure to do a bit of research ahead of time. As noted above, it is massive and after 8 trips to Paris I have not seen all of it. I believe Rick Steves' guidebook has a suggested tour of the highlights.

If you want to visit a cemetery, I suggest Pere Lachaise. It is fun to walk through and a lot of famous people are buried there. You can get a map to find their gravesites.

While I don't recommend that you just "play it by ear", leave yourselves plenty of time to wander around Paris stopping at places that interest you and be sure to make plenty of time for cafe visits to watch the people.

We like to stay on the Left Bank in the St. Germaine area. There is a very helpful thread on this forum. Search for "Left Bank Hotels".

Congratulations and have a wonderful time!
Old Jun 26th, 2011, 11:15 AM
Original Poster

@Cathinjoetown I love history, and I think the catacombs are fascinating. Might not be interesting to you, but to my fiance and I, they are a must see. We're not big museum people at all, we'd rather go out and do stuff rather than walk around inside a building.