Honeymoon, where to go?

Search

Honeymoon, where to go?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4th, 2003, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honeymoon, where to go?

My husband and I will be going on our honeymoon around Sept./Oct. 2004 and am trying to decide where to go. I will only have about 8 days and since we both speak Spanish and have never been to Europe, was thinking about Barcelona, Spain or someplace in Southern Europe where it will still be relatively warm. We don't care to stay at 5 star hotels we would rather save money and experience more of the people and culture. Any suggestions on where to go, where to stay for pretty cheap (but comfortable), and relatively inexpensive places to eat (we are food lovers). Also any side trips if you think we will have time.
Old Nov 4th, 2003, 08:36 AM

We spent our honeymoon in mid-September 1999 in Munich for Octoberfest, Rothernburg on der Tauber, Brussels and Paris. The weather was perfect, especially in Germany. 70s everyday. Not Spanish speaking but we spoke no German and had no problems with the language.
Old Nov 4th, 2003, 08:41 AM
ira

Hi melissa,

For eight days at the end of September I suggest The Amalfi Coast. You will get along in both English and Spanish. At least my wife was able to converse with local folks in her poor Spanish and they would reply n their poor English.

I recommend the Hotel Le Sirene in Praiano.

See my trip report http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34451044
Old Nov 4th, 2003, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. I am interested to hear prices on hotels,food, etc. We also love wine and are interested in suggestions for sophisticated nightlife (we like to dance but do not like crowded,dirty dancing.Prefer something more mellow where we might meet some interesting people). I also want to add that my husband is 25 and I am 22. He is from Venezuela and I am from the U.S. Also thank you to Ira I read your report...great details!
Old Nov 4th, 2003, 12:28 PM

There is a spanish specialized tour operator owned by an irishman that has a very nice, informative website.
www.totallyspain.com
They do individual itineraries in Spain including anything from accommodation, transportation, rental cars to sightseeing or restaurant reservations and they can tailor it to specific needs.
It says it is centered on Northern Spain, but they operate in other regions.
I have just browsed through it but they seem to have a nice selection of accommodation and I've seen interesting info about wine tours .
I met the owner briefly when he came to visit our hotel a few months ago.

You can use the website as basic info and then research everything yourself with the help of this forum, travel guides or reservation websites.
Old Nov 25th, 2003, 12:01 AM

Barcelona is totally awesome. Go there and you will not be disappointed. But beware the petty thieves and pickpockets! Make sure you go see all places related to Gaudi. Stay near Las Ramblas. Restaurants are expensive, but tapas are a great filler and meal stand in. They eat very late in Spain, so tapas ended up being our dinner a lot of times. The sherry is wonderful, as are Catalan wines. We found a small shop selling wine where we bought a liter for about $1.50. It was some of the best white wine I have ever had. (and we used to live in the Sonoma Valley.) The do not speak Castillian Spanish, but rather Catalan which is slightly different. We did well with English. Some good side trips to wine areas not far are also to be considered.