Do the Spanish like Americans?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10th, 2007, 03:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've heard from some friends that travelled to Spain recently that they weren't treated very well and that there was an anti-American sentiment over there. We are planning a trip in a few weeks and I'm wondering what we should expect. But then again I heard the same thing about the French and we never met so many kind people. Any thoughts?
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 04:04 PM

Actually, it's the national pastime to cut Americans up into little salami slice-sized pieces and serve us as lids, or tapas.

Old Oct 10th, 2007, 04:15 PM
steviesmom

Hi, I was in Southern Spain last year with my sister and found most folks to be nice. Alot of the Spaniards speak English and were helpful. I think the only time they might be rude to someone is if they had a pushy attitude. I think you will enjoy it!

cs

Old Oct 10th, 2007, 04:56 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Last summer I went to Spain for the first time since 1972. I had such a good time I went back in February and again in August. Wouldn't have done that if I was poorly treated.
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 04:59 PM
P_M

<<I heard the same thing about the French and we never met so many kind people. Any thoughts?>>

The Spanish are just like the French. They will judge you for the person you are and not for the actions of our government.

Maybe after this trip you will stop listening when people tell you such nonsense.
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 05:17 PM

They've always been nice to me, or at least most have. Like everywhere, there are all kinds of people, and I guess I'm a big believer that if you treat people with kindness and respect, they will treat you accordingly. And it's even truer when you make an attempt to speak their language.
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 06:11 PM
steviesmom

If you go to Southern Spain I would stay in Malaga or Marbella. One time we also took a boat day cruide out of Aleciras (spelling) to Morocco and Tangiers. That was were Casablanca was filmed and I even rode a camel. It was like being in a Middle-eastern market place......

In Madrid, we saw the museums and went on a day adventure to the Valley of the Fallen (very cool) and to Toledo and visited the LLadro factory. Items are marked up 200% by the time they get to the states.

In Barcelona, we went to the museums and did a day trip to Montsarrat and went to San Sebastian.

The food is fantastic! Loved tapas, paella, gaspacho, sangria and their hot chocolate is like silky pudding.

Have a great trip!

PS the discoteques are great too!

Old Oct 10th, 2007, 07:08 PM

I usually introduce myself by saying, " Yo no vota for George Bush. Y tu?
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 07:13 PM

As already mentioned, as long as you are not a Bush supporter, you're welcome.
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 11:40 PM

steviesmom, Tangiers IS Morocco; and I seriously doubt the film Casablanca was shot anywhera outside the Hollywood studios (lol).
Robert2533, there are also Bush supporters here too.
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 01:20 AM

Some do and some don't.
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 01:51 AM

I've heard of some Spaniards whom only like Americans raw, sliced thinly, with a bit of parmegiano, balsamic vinegar and some grinded nuts on top. If they are nice to you, maybe it is because they have gauged the meat of insufficient quality...
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 02:27 AM

I hoped it would be clear by now, that everybody on planet earth hates Americans!
Those are the facts of life, accept them!
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 02:58 AM

Everyone hates American politics/actions - and that includes more than 50% of Americans. But as long as you don't wear an American flag on your sleve (or anywhere else) you will be treated as an individual. But Europeans in general do not go around with huge smiles on their faces all the time like some Americans do, or call you "sweetie" or whatever. I was there three times in the last two years and was treated just fine.
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 03:09 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I have to laugh about the comment americans walk around with big smiles on their faces! In another thread recently, someone commented that everyone knew they were americans. They picked them out, not by their clothes, mannerisms, or language, but by their big beautiful teeth! It seems we have such wonderful smiles because everyone gets braces and we all have straight white teeth!
So, when reading Isabel's comment, I had to laugh thinking, I better not smile while in Europe or they will know I am an American by my pearly whites.
tamiandtoto: I have heard this for many years that all over Europe, they do not care for Americans. Like above, I feel they do not care for our politics. I also think there are nice Americans as well as mouthy rude ones. So, be polite, try to speak at least pleasantries in Spanish, and I am sure you will have a wonderful trip!
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 03:16 AM

It's a testament to American ego that so many Americans assume that Europeans have any opinion at all about them. A lot of Europeans couldn't care less about Americans, and neither hate them nor love them. They just don't think about them at all.

How often do Americans think about Spaniards or Germans, and how many Americans have strong opinions (good or bad) about either nationality.
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 03:17 AM

treat them like a person and they will treat you like a person.

Treat them like idiots who should get a clue that the American way is that the only proper way and well they will treat you like you should be treated.
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 03:39 AM

The easily recognisable Americans from the USA, not only because of their great smiles, but mostly by the way they dress, are welcome in all of Spain. Just like any other nationality. The anti American sentiment is directed towards some actions of the present (and past) government, which are not easily understood here and seen as (in a soft tone) bullying by the big guy.
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 04:03 AM

In most places, and with most people, how any visitor is treated depends on the comportment of the particular individual.

It is a pity that there are exceptions, but I think we all recognise that there is prejudice and bigotry in the world.
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 04:18 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
My daughter lived with a family in Madrid Jan 06 - July 06. She heard many anti-American comments from older adults. Most assumed she wouldn't understand what they are saying, but she is fluent in Spanish. This was not long after the Madrid bombings. It had nothing to do with how she acted or treated people, it was simply she was American.

I don't think you will have problems in tourist areas.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -