honeymoon in positano-marincanto hotel or sirenuese

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20th, 2005, 03:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone--Once again, I need help planning my honeymoon.
After all our Tuscany Planning, we finally decided to stay in one place--Positano, Italy.,..and just enjoy the surroundings and relaxation. Our plan is the following:
Arrive in Rome, spend one nite in Rome--and then rent a car and drive to Positano-spend 4 nites. Then back to Rome for one nite before heading back to NYC
We cant decide between Marincanto Hotel and Sireneuse. Our budget is 500-600/nite US dollars for hotels.
If you prefer one hotel over another, can you suggest a particular room we should stay in?
Also--I would appreciate any suggestions you may have for an inexpensive hotel, but comfy in Rome--one hotel for one nite near the airport when we arrive and the other hotel for one nite in Rome proper.
Thanks for all your help!
Old Feb 20th, 2005, 04:40 PM

Stayed at Mirmare a few years ago, so I can't help you there...but thought you might like to know that the Spring 2005 issue of Town & Country Travel magazine has a great article devoted solely to Positano with a heavy focus on Le Sirenuse - highly recommend it, and think it may help you plan.
Old Feb 20th, 2005, 06:57 PM

Is the Marincanto that expensive? We had booked there last September and then cancelle in favor of the Poseidon. But the prices at the Marincanto were much lower than 500 to 600 USD a night.

We chose the Poseidon which was a bit more expensive than the Marincanto, because of the pool. However, I LOVED the Poseidon and absolutely hated to leave. Great room with balcony, wonderful view, the pool deck and restaurant were great, evening entertainment, wonderful food, amazing service... I could go on and on.

I mentioned to our driver that we had originally been going to stay at the Marincanto, and he told us that the Marincanto was a good hotel, but the Poseidon was much nicer.

My mother stayed at La Sireneuse and said it was wonderful, but I have no personal experience.
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 03:01 AM

Hi Nolita,
I stayed at Le Sirenuse about 4 yrs ago- it was wonderful. But we really enjoyed Santa Caterina in Amalfi a bit more. The town is smaller and more of a walk than in Positano - but we loved it. I felt very congested in Positano - just a personal opinion. After our trip there, I read about the town of Ravello and Palazzo Sasso and wished we had at least checked it out. http://www.hotelsantacaterina.it/eng/home.html http://www.palazzosasso.com/index.htm
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 03:30 PM
Original Poster

thank you soo much--i will look into the Poseidon as an option for Positano, and look up T&C's spring 2005 article on Le Sireneuse..and I'll check out Santa Caterina too!
Thanks for all your help
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 12:50 AM

With a US$500 budget, I think you are going to get a SMALL room at Le Sireunese, and would probably be better off at the Marincanto. I believe the Poseidon would offer larger rooms than Le Sirenuse as well. I would contact all the hotels you are interested in and ask about price and more importantly room size and location. Le Sirenuse has some great junior suites and deluxe rooms, but they are pricier than your budget; and I think rooms in your price range will be small and will either overlook the street or the pool which can be quite crowded and noisy. (Hard to believe that US$500 dollars will only get you 20 square meters and a noisy room with no view, huh?!)

As a rule of thumb, a room of 20 square meters is quite small for 2 people, between 20-25 and liveable but tight, between 25-30 is good but not spacious, and over 30 is good. For comparison, a typical US-style motel room with two double beds is 28 square meters, including the bathroom. Note that most hotels when quoting room size include the bathroom, so remember this when thinking about room size. Some also include the balcony, making the room itself even smaller.

I also have to put in a good word for the Santa Caterina outside Amalfi which is in many ways better positioned for a honeymoon as it is more private, much more quiet, and you have direct access to the sea which you don't have at Le Sirenuse. Such a gorgeous cliffside location in its own lemon and orange groves. I am not sure if rooms are in your price range but it is defiantly worth contacting them. I am also not that crazy about the pool at Le Sirenuse, as the lounge chair area is awkwardly designed and it gets very crowded plus it gets full of people just having lunch at adjacent tables.

Website for Poseidon is www.hotelposeidonpositano.it, or try though starnet at http://www.distinctivetravels.com/hotels/positano.html.

Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 03:06 PM
Original Poster

This is the best advice. I will definetely email the hotels tonight to ask them about the square meters. Thanks for the tip on Santa Caterina. I think we are now staying 2 nites in Positano and 2 nites in Santa Caterina..just for a new flavor.
Can you recommend any hotels in Rome..We need to stay one night on the day of our arrival, and another night the nite before our departure.
Many Thanks!
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 03:59 PM

Nolita,

I think beanweb and I are both fans of the Miramare, which in my opinion is a much better deal than the Sirenuse. The balconies at the Miramare are glorious, and if you don't mind the stairs to the Miramare, it is worth it! We originally had a "partial sea view" room reserved at the Sirenuse, which 2 years ago was, I believe, 310 euro--I am sure it is even more expensive now. We switched to the Miramare and could not have been more pleased.

I would not split between Positano and Amalfi. Positano is far more charming, and you'll never want to leave. Plus, it is easy enough to take a boat to Amalfi if you want to visit, although I think it is a rather charmless town. We spent 4 nights in Positano and were never bored. It is the perfect place for a honeymoon.

Here is a link to my trip report, which has descriptions of the Miramare:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34459078

One final thing: any particular reason why you are driving from Rome to Positano? The road can be a bit dicey. You may to consider taking the train from Rome to Naples, and then hiring a driver from Naples to Positano and back. If you do a search, you'll find lots of threads on driver recommendations--we used Tour of Italy, and it was great.

Come to think of it--if your whole honeymoon is going to be in Positano, why go through Rome at all? I am pretty sure from NYC, you can get flights to Naples, which would save you travel time and let you enjoy Positano more.
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 05:48 PM

The Poseidon would be an excellent choice. I've stayed there a few times, and always hated to leave. The jr. suites are gorgeous and have sweeping views of town, the food is amazing, and , the staff goes out of its way to please guests.

Make sure to tell the hotel that it's your honeymoon. I can't remember if they have a special honeymoon suite, but it's worth asking about.

By the way, you would be better off going directly into Naples, then flying out of Rome. You can do this by stopping in either London or Paris, then going on to Naples. There are no non-stop flights to Naples from NYC.
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 05:51 PM

Just wanted to add that I agree with coffeeaddict. I wouldn't split the time either between Positano and Amalfi. Too much unpacking on a honeymoon for destinations that are only a few miles apart! And Positano definitely gets my vote for much more romantic location.
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 08:18 AM
Original Poster

Well, after much emailing to various hotels--i found out that May is a very busy season in Positano and the Marincanto Hotel was booked for my dates and Le Sireneuse was too small of a room for the cost of $500us nite. So I booked 4 nites at Covo de Saraceni. I looked on previous fodor reviews, and people seemed to have good experiences (except one person) I got a spacious room and with balcony for $376 Euro. I'm so excited!
Currently we are flying into Rome. I read your comments about the option of flying into Naples.
I called the airline to change flights and depart/arrive in Naples instead of Rome--it's a $200fee total. Is it worth it? Whether we fly into Rome or Naples--we are only spending one night coming and one night going.. how many hours drive is Positano from Rome? How many hours drive is Positano from Naples?
Is it worth it to pay the $200 to fly into Naples? If so--can you recommend a hotel to stay in Naples?
And should we drive or get a driver? Or do you think its a beautiful drive from Rome to Positano and really not a hassel?
I really appreciate your help.
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 08:31 AM

Nolita,

You might be better off spending the $200 if that's all it is for flying in and out of Naples. Here's why.

The trip from Rome to Positano is about three hours without traffic. A private driver two summers ago cost us $400, so it ain't cheap. A one-day car rental is going to be pricey, and the Amalfi Coast portion of the trip is not for the fainthearted-- esp. after an overnight flight!

You could take the Eurostar from Rome to Naples, then get picked up in Naples by a private driver for the trip to Positano. But the trip from Naples to Positano ( it's about an hour and a half ride) will cost you at least $100, probably more.

Good luck with your plans!

Old Mar 11th, 2005, 09:12 AM

I 'd been in Positano and loved it and stayed at Marincanto and loved.
We came from Capri by boat and arrived in Positano just on the beach and began going up the hill, looked like a dream. the Marincanto is in almost all the postcard from positano . Can't miss . Very easy to arrive and going out to another city even by bus. there is a bus stop close to the hotel
Old Mar 12th, 2005, 01:51 AM
Original Poster

If we fly into Naples, do you think it's too much of a hassle to rent a car for the week and drive to Positano.The hotel has parking. Is it worth while to have a car in Positano for the week? Or should we just get a driver to drive us to the hotel and then take ferry/metro to nearby destinations (like Sorrento) during our stay?
Also, Does it make sense to stay in Sorrento (nr Naples?) for the night when we land in Italy and for the night before we leave italy? or should we just book 6 nights in Positano?
Old Mar 12th, 2005, 04:13 AM

I'd take public transportation ( boats as much as possible) between your destinations. As I mentioned earlier, the Amalfi Coast is not for the fainthearted. It's full of hairpin turns, few guardrails, and TRAFFIC, esp. on the weekends. Also parking in the coastal towns can be a real hassle.

You asked about staying in Naples for a night. I don't think it's necessary. Positano is only an hour and a half away. On the day of departure, you can get up early and have a driver take you back to the airport in Naples.
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 11:33 AM

Right next to the Sireneuse is the Hotel L'Ancora (http://www.htlancora.it/). It's a wonderful, small (18+/- rooms) hotel with the same views as the Sireneuse. You can get a suite with a hot tub on a huge balcony for around $300 euro (check their website for specials). This hotel was originally recommended to me by a tour guide friend in Rome. The only drawbacks - no pool, no formal restaurant. However, they have a sister hotel on the beach with both, and you will have guest priveledges there.