Reload this Page >

Honeymoon in Italy - suggestions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1st, 2002, 04:59 PM
Amy

My fiance and I are planning to go to Venice for our honeymoon. We want to be in Italy for at least 10 days. The trip is in mid-November and we would like to start in Venice and head south. I have been reading the postings and would like to get some advice on places to go and where to stay. I don't really like big cities, I have no real desire to go to Rome, I have been to Florence and don't prefer to include that this trip. Tuscany sounds nice and so does the Amalfi Coast and Sorrento and Positano. Also suggestions on how many days is enough in Venice would be appreciated. We are thinking of staying at the Bauer in Venice.<BR><BR>Thanks for the advice.

Old Jun 1st, 2002, 05:59 PM
jim

amy,<BR><BR>sorrento is great if you do not like big cities. it is easy to get to and easy to walk around. we will be in venice in september as well as sorrento,florence and rome.<BR><BR>jim and camille

Old Jun 1st, 2002, 06:13 PM
Barbara

Ok, this is a bit of a challenge because it is your honeymoon and you want it to be perfect. I'm very fond of Venezia, have been there three times, most recently last October for a week. By November, you will probably have a lot of rain and the very real possibility of acqua alta (high water)--so that San Marco will be navigable only with boots at times. Horns sound and everybody dons Wellies, and wooden walkways are put up in the lowest areas. Now, I've been there in November, and it's better then because not so overrun with other tourists, but it's not sunny most of the time. I had a wonderful ride out to Torcello (where there is Cipriani's, which I think still serves meals then, really fine), and I enjoy just poking around the canals, but it may not be the ideal season. <BR><BR>The Bauer is very nice, but if you can afford that, why not the Danieli?<BR><BR>In Toscana in the fall there are the grape and olive harvests and probably better weather than in the Veneto. You might consider one of the hill towns (Montalcino in October a few years ago was wonderful, see if you can get a room at Il Giglio, drink Brunello, go see the lady who weaves beautiful jackets, and roam around the countryside, or hike down to San Antimo).<BR><BR>Further south, yes, the Amalfi Coast, or why not Capri? That time of year, it will still be fairly warm, but the hordes of the summer will not be there any more. Remember that it is a long drive from Venezia to the Amalfi coast.

Old Jun 1st, 2002, 07:16 PM
David

We're honeymooning in Camogli (on the Ligurian coast southeast of Genoa) in August. <BR><BR>You might want to look into spending some time there - not too sure of what the weather will be like in November, but it's not as far from Venice as Amalfi is and equally as beautiful. <BR><BR>Will report back with all printable details after we return!

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 06:42 AM
Tom

Friends that visit Venice frequently stay at the Cipriani. Quick launch over to Venice, but don't have to deal with the crowds as you're on a separate island. Sounds like it would be great for a honeymoon. There are other hotels in the Lido that offer the same privacy and are less expensive than the Cipriani.<BR><BR>Natural areas to visit south of Venice would be Cortona, Assisi, San Gimignano, Siena, Montalcino, Montepulciano and other little towns (can pick one for a home base and do daytrips to the rest).

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 08:12 AM
Wayne

I don't want to be a party-pooper, but if you go most anywhere in Europe in November, except Southern Italy, Greece, Turkey, or Spain/Portugal, you will probably find pretty foul weather. The Greek isles in November can be very pretty and non-touristy, and they are certainly some of the most romantic places you could imagine for a honeymoon. If I were you, I'd save the central part of Europe, including Venice, for a better time of year.<BR><BR>If you have Italy in mind and in your heart, don't go to Venice in November. Instead, go to Sicily.

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 01:15 PM
Simon

?

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 07:10 PM
Amy

Thanks to everyone for the advice. We originally considered going to the Caribeen for the honeymoon because of the weather. My fiance has never been to Europe, I have been many times and he very much wants to go. I love Italy and Paris, but we have been told from friends who lived in Paris November is not the time to go. So apparently it is also not the time to go to Venice. So we may decide to save this incredible trip until a year when we can go in Sept or other month with more pleasant weather.<BR><BR>Thanks again for the advice.

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 05:54 AM
Casey

I think November is a great time to visit Venice, in spite of Aqua Alta. There are far fewer tourists and the only time Aqua Alta caused any inconvenience was very late at night so we opted for dinner at our hotel that evening. Check the moon/high tide times when you are planning to visit and you should be fine. We like the Gritti Palace. Cipriani is out of the question at that time of year. Daniele is nice but can be noisy. Bauer is nice but is also in a little busier area and the vaporetto stop is more convenient to the Gritti.<BR><BR>Suggestions for the countryside, close to Venice: Villa Cipriani (Starwood) in Asolo and L'Albereta(Relais & Chateaux) in Erbusco. Very romantic places and November is fine.<BR><BR>

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 07:06 AM
kiki

Hi Amy,<BR><BR>Your honeymoon sounds lovely. Venice is one of the most magical and romantic cities, so I suggest that you spend at least 4 full days. Depending on when you arrive, that could be 3 or 4 nights. <BR><BR>Last month, we visited, Venice, Florence, Tuscany, and the Amalfi Coast (Positano, Amalfi, Ravello and Capri), which is similar to your plan. I posted tons of hotel, restaurant and shopping recommendations on to my travelogue. If you enter "kiki" in the search box, it will come up.<BR><BR>Have a great time!<BR><BR>

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 04:16 PM
Amy

Thanks for the reply Kiki, I think I have read some of your postings. I appreciate the info and we will continue to research accordingly.

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 04:52 PM
Barbara

My husband and I stayed at the Il Palazzo at the Bauer in late April. (It is attached to the main part of the Bauer hotel, but is a separate building with its own entrance and reception desk and is fancier.) We had a wonderful room with a fabulous terrace overlooking the Grand Canal. We would have our breakfast on the terrace overlooking what may be the best view in Venice. The hotel is very conveniently located. And the service could not have been better.<BR><BR>We then went to Positano on the Amalfi Coast and stayed in a junior suite at Le Sireneuse. Unbelievable! Also had a fabulous terrace overlooking the town and the water, where we would have our breakfast and often sit with a glass of wine in the early evening. Wonderful location for exploring that area. <BR><BR>I think this would make for a memorable honeymoon. (We were there to celebrate a special birthday). I can't speak to the weather, but when we were there, the weather was great.<BR><BR>Good luck. Enjoy!

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 11:19 AM
Molly

hi,<BR>i'm also going to italy...this august for my honeymoon. i spent hours and hours doing research and this is what i came up with:<BR>3 days in venice (people say that's enough time). staying at luna baglioni, oldest hotel in venice, lots of charm, boat brings you right from airport to hotel. we are flying into venice on delta.<BR>6 nights in amalfi coast. i picked ravello, less touristy than positano, both both are lovely i'm told. we're staying at palazzo sasso (written up in gourmet recently, hot hotel right now). friends of mind stayed at sireneuse (sp?) in positano and loved it.<BR>then rome for 3 days (st. regis). i've been to italy several times and LOVE it. A must for honeymooners.

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 07:14 PM
Lucy

Dear Amy,<BR><BR>

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 07:22 PM
Lucy

Dear Amy,<BR>Assisi is utter heaven ( no matter what you feel about religion) The Duomo is gorgeous, and now open again so you can see the Giotto fescoes - and sitting on the terrace of the Subasio hotel and watching the birds swoop over the plain is timeless. Also . Consider stopping in Orvieto to see the amazing Cathedral, maybe stay opposite in La Badia, a converted monastery - or in town and walk down and see it lit up at night. And Siena is amazing. Also , consider Pienza, a beautiful, intact Renaissance city. I know you said, not Florence - but we wentin November, hotel prices were low, the atmosphere was wildly romantic - Villa San Michele is Fielsole is expensive - but for a honeymoon - wildly romantic - and they'll drive you in and out of town. Whatever it is - push the boat out - honeymoons are once in a life time!Best wishes -

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 09:00 PM
sharko

November 2000 and 2001 it rained almost non stop in Venezia. Acqua Alta is a problem and I agree with Wayne, Go to Sicily.