Search

Honeymoon in April...Cinque Terre and/or Siena and Lucca

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29th, 2003, 05:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honeymoon in April...Cinque Terre and/or Siena and Lucca

Hey everyone,
First, thanks for all the advice thus far in helping me plan our honeymoon in early April. After talking to friends and reading this board, I'm realizing that we have to go to Cinque Terre. Now my questions:
I was planning on 3 days rome to 3 days venice to 5 days florence with day trips to sienna, lucca and then had 2 days/1 night free for CT. I'm wondering now if, for a honeymoon for two active people who love to explore towns and people more than museums and history, I should drop either Sienna or Lucca in favor of a 3rd day in CT. Also, would greatly appreciate any advice on a place to stay. Sounds like Vernazza is the place for a nice hotel and am looking for a romantic one (price not a major factor). Thank you very much,
E
PS - I know this is a pretty crowded itinerary for a honeymoon but I'm trying to squeeze in enough of Italy to make this trip memorable.
Old Dec 29th, 2003, 08:21 AM

CT is a great place to end your honeymoon! Give it at least 4 days (3 nights). It will help you slow down and enjoy Italy. We spent 4 days last spring, wonderful hikes between towns and great wine. Very relaxing and enjoyable. Vernazza is the town that Rick Steves built. You might want to look at one of the other towns. With this said, we stayed in Vernazza and enjoyed it very much. Your trip will be memorable if you only see Rome, Venice, Florence, and CT. BYW why not leave Rome for another trip to southern italy? We did Venice, Florence, CT, Lake Como (very romatic) and Milan (2 weeks). It was nice not having really long travel days.
Old Dec 29th, 2003, 08:42 AM

If you have 5 days Florence, two of which will be spent on day trips to Siena and Lucca that still leaves 3 days for Florence. If you aren't that into museums then 2 days might be enough and you could take that extra day for the CT. Otherwise I think your plan sounds great. I would keep Rome, it's not that far and even though I am not a big Rome fan I would still want to see it if this is your first trip to Italy. Have fun.
Old Dec 29th, 2003, 08:50 AM
ira

Hi eoren,

>I was planning on 3 days rome to 3 days venice to 5 days florence with day trips to sienna, lucca and then had 2 days/1 night free for CT.<

This is a good, if busy, plan. I would not drop either Siena or Lucca.

When in Florence, take the #7 bus from the tain station up to Fiesole to see the Etruscan ruins and watch the sun set over the city.
Old Dec 29th, 2003, 01:29 PM

This is April--I would let the weather dictate. You do have too much time in Florence. I would leave it open and decide in Florence if you can put together 2 days of good weather. If so, I would train to Monterosso to stay one nite and then see Lucca on your way back. If the ferry boat is running then see the coast that way and hop off at Vernazza--or Manarola--or Riomaggiore and hike from there.
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 11:24 AM

I like Merry Mice's idea, that's what we did. but with your current plan, I think 2 nights in 5 Terre is enough, don't miss Siena!