10 days in Italy

Search

10 days in Italy

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2004, 01:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
10 days in Italy

VERY preliminary research: If you were going to spend 10 days in Italy, where would you spend it? We are mainly looking at Florence, Rome, and Venice, with a day in Pisa if possible, but know we don't have enough time to do all four. The ten days are days actually spent IN Italy, not getting there or coming home. THANKS!
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 01:48 PM

This is a frequent question on ths board. Since you really have 10 days, you could break it very nicely: 4 days Rome, 3 days Florence (with Pisa as a half-day trip), 3 days Venice. This itinerary is perfectly reasonable and easy to do. If you like to move at a slightly slower pace, split the trip between two of these cities.
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 02:20 PM

I agree with ellenem. Actually, we did 5 days each in Florence and Venice this past summer (well, actually 4.5 days each with travel time) and it was perfect. So, I'd think you can do Rome, Florence and Venice during that time. Those are the big three, after all.
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 01:32 AM
ira

Hi Heather,

I would do 6 days in Florence and 4 in Venice, with daytrips to Siena and Lucca/Pisa from Florence.

However, 4, 3, 3 in Rome, Florence and Venice is quite doable.

Unless you really must have a picture of yourself holding up the tower in Pisa, I suggest that you skip it.
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 06:52 AM

Base mainly to your interests, if it's relax then chose te genoa coast and the islands, like Elba or sardinia; if it's art then chose Rome, Florence, Naples and Palermo; if it's nature than chose the Chianti region around Florence and Siena: a perfect mixture of all (for the sea you will have to change into pools!!!) and maybe chose agriturismo to sleep, where the atmosphere is still true and honest in July. For suggestion to sleep write me [email protected] Ciao Zivina.
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 07:10 AM

What time of year, Heather? If it's the middle of summer, you might save Rome for a different trip. It gets mighty hot there. Maybe use the extra days on Lake Como (Bellagio, Mennagio, Varenna, etc.).
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 07:23 AM

Assuming this is your first trip to Italy, then you've come up with a good introduction to Italy. And the 4-3-3 is the normal split between the Big 3 of Italy.
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 08:49 AM

I visited Venice last March and we managed to see ALL of Venice in 3 1/2 days. PLEASE visit the city's outskirts. You will have the chance to wind through narrow streets and, if you're lucky, stumble upon a small restaurant or two. Don't miss Peggy Guggenheim's palazzo on the Grand Canal. Even if you're not a fan of modern art, the building is beauitful. If you can manage it, plan you trip for April, early May, late September, or October. Otherwise, you will have to compete with MANY other tourists for everything. Travel safely and enjoy yourself!
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 08:59 AM

3 Venice, 2 Florence, 5 days exploring Tuscan hill towns. Pisa would be low on the list though. Lucca and San Gimignano much higher in that area!
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 09:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all! We are trying to decide between Italy and France for next March (spring break for my college student sister/travel companion.) She is set on Paris, I want Italy, but it doesn't really matter, because we will go to the other the year after. Our interests: a little bit of everything. Thanks to everyone for the replies!