Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Honeymoon: Hilton or Four Seasons in Istanbul?

Old Nov 12th, 2000, 03:29 PM
Barrie

We're planning on spending two nights in Istanbul for our honeymoon. We are deciding between the Istanbul Hilton for free (on miles) or the Four Seasons (which is about $250/ night). Since we only have two days, and it is our honeymoon, we are willing to splurge on the Four Seasons. We do want to be somehwere romantic, and in easy access of the best sight seeing and restaurants. Should we splurge, or just stick with the Hilton?

Old Nov 12th, 2000, 04:03 PM
Paulo

Sultanhamet is IMO the place to be ... I therefore vote for the splurge
Paulo

Old Nov 12th, 2000, 06:36 PM
Patrick

I agree with Paulo. You can stay in a similar Hilton in a similar modern city anywhere --say New York or Chicago for example. But how often can you stay in such a colorful area as the Sultanhamet and in a converted Turkish prison no less? Go for the Four Seasons.

Old Nov 12th, 2000, 09:47 PM
Bjorn Alvik

Hi, Barrie.
Four Seasons, no doubt at all.
Reasons?

1: Location
Four Seasons is in Sultanameth, Hilton is far on the other side of Golden Horn, beyond Taxim.
If the main sites like Hagia Sophia, Topkai Palace, Harem, Blue Mosque, Archeological museum, Grand Bazaar, the Cistern etc etc etc are within your plans, Four Seasons is just "steps" away. From Hilton you will need long-lasting taxis through heavy traffic and heavy airpollution.

2: Building
Hilton is a modern-style hotel that you will find "anywhere".
Four Seasons is a former prison. The way the buildings are turned into a very, very comfortable hotel with inner gardens is incredible.

3:Time
Staying in Sultanamet makes it possible to do all the major sites walking, and within 2-4 days, depending on your ambitions. Otherwise you would need another 2-3 days.

4:Airport transfer
Sultanameth is much closer to the airport than Taxim/Hilton area. Should be considered, since you have to be early at the airport when leaving.

Conclusion:
No doubt. Four Seasons.

We stayed in Yesil Ev, close to the Four Seasons when visiting Istanbul for 9 days in October. To our opinion Istanbul is a town that you wouldn't care to return to, but Sultanamet is. And certainly the Four Seasons.

Wish you luck and a marvellous time.
Bjorn, Norway

Old Nov 13th, 2000, 02:07 PM
beth

have you considered the Ciragan Palace - wonderful Bosphorous views - beautiful hotel

Old Nov 13th, 2000, 05:13 PM
Paule

Just today, I was talking to a co-worker who mentioned staying at the Four Seasons. He said it was the best hotel he has ever stayed in, and has traveled a lot. Though I haven't been to Istanbul yet (next year!), I have no doubts that Sultanahment is THE place to stay!

Old Nov 13th, 2000, 08:11 PM
Patrick

Regarding the above comment, the Ciragan Palace may be a beautiful place, but you might as well stay in another country. You must take a taxi for miles to get to the old city and in fact, can't walk to anything. Of course, if you are paying their prices to stay there, maybe that isn't an issue, but just be warned, it isn't near anything. When there you aren't staying in Istanbul, you are staying at the Ciragan Palace.

Old Nov 14th, 2000, 02:42 AM
Karen

I also vote for the Ciragan - especially for a honeymoon. It's a lovely oasis is a busy city, and very romantic. You can walk a short distance to a fun district with restaurants, shops and nighlife. For sightseeing, you can easily take a cab to the main sites and walk around from one to the other (stopping at the Four Seasons for tea). Having said that, the Four Seasons is probably the best service in the city ... In any event, definitely not the Hilton, especially on a honeymoon!