Search

Honeymoon Help

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15th, 2007, 06:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honeymoon Help

So I'm a newbie to Europe going on my honeymoon. My fiancee & I are in our early 30's & enjoy history, good food & wine, shopping, fashion, clubs/lounges. We live in Miami (so think South Beach), and I am looking for tips for about a 12 day trip to Italy. Looking for advice on "must sees", best time to book, best places to stay, romantic, fun...Also, any advice on who to fly out of Miami & where to fly into. Lots of questions, huh.

Help!
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 07:06 PM

You didn't say *when* you're going to Italy ... but if it's your honeymoon, you might begin on one of the lakes in the north. Fly into Milan and get a driver to take you to Villa d'Este on Lake Como or Villa Aminta on Lake Maggiore. Both would be very beautiful, romantic, and secluded places to get over your jet lag and just enjoy being together. Both are Virtuoso properties and offer daily breakfast and upgrades on arrival, subject to availability if you book through a Virtuoso agent.

Then ... hey, it's your honeymoon ... go to Venice and stay at the Cipriani or the Gritti Palace (since I'm spending your money!).

Spend a few days there, then on to ... Florence, home of the Italian Renaissance. Read "Bruneschelli's Dome" before you go, and be sure to climb to the top of the dome *after* you've read the book. Get reservations in advance to see the Accademia and the Uffizi Gallery.

Finally, on to Rome. Arrange for a guided tour of the Vatican Museum in advance (so that you can avoid the huge lines). Do walking tours of the city using the downloadable tours from Frommer's website ... or get a private guide. Toss three coins in the Trevi Fountain because, after all, it's your honeymoon, and this is supposed to guarantee you'll be back!

If you're interested, I can send you a Weissman Report on Italy ... loads of information on different destinations -- where to stay, what to do, generally useful tourist information. Email me if you're interested!
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 09:17 PM

Hi

Rome is a great city to visit. My wife and I went there in the summer of 2005 and I have made this trip report with pictures and links http://gardkarlsen.com/rome_italy.htm . Maybe you can find some useful information there to help your planning

Regards
Gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures
Old Jan 16th, 2007, 02:35 AM
ira

Hi M,

It's time to go off to the library and get some guidebooks on Italy.

Then you can plan an itinerary.

Then get on the internet and look for hotels: www.venere.com is a good place to start.

After you have a draft plan, come back and let us help you improve it.

This might help you
Helpful Information: Italy 2
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34568596

Enjoy your honeymoon.

Old Mar 28th, 2007, 06:55 PM
Original Poster

So after posting my first request, I have actually been doing my homework & have an itinerrary planned---Any thoughts?

September 3rd
Fly into Rome---4 days
Do the Roman thing (millions of ideas out there), any 3-5 MUST DO'S?
Where should I rent a car to leave Rome for Tuscany & is it worth it or should we do the train?

Drive to Tuscany---3 days (stay in Siena?)
We want to do wineries in Tuscany. I also need a home run activity (one she'll never forget), I read about a hot air balloon ride, has anyone done that also read about biking ?

2 more days, do I have time for Venice or am I pushing it?

Please help, ladies you could make one of your species very happy by helping a brother out.
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 07:03 PM
Original Poster

So after posting my first request, I have actually been doing my homework & have an itinerrary planned---Any thoughts?

September 3rd
Fly into Rome---4 days
Do the Roman thing (millions of ideas out there), any 3-5 MUST DO'S?
Where should I rent a car to leave Rome for Tuscany & is it worth it or should we do the train?

Drive to Tuscany---3 days (stay in Siena?)
We want to do wineries in Tuscany. I also need a home run activity (one she'll never forget), I read about a hot air balloon ride, has anyone done that also read about biking ?

2 more days, do I have time for Venice or am I pushing it?

Please help, ladies you could make one of your species very happy by helping a brother out.