Search

Packing Light ?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17th, 2007, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Packing Light ?

In the past, my husband and I have traveled light, and have not checked through any lugguage. Now, vacation time is coming on again and my husband is saying, we can't do it this way anymore due to the "new rules" about razors, and liquids etc. What are your thoughts ? I shiver at idea of checking trough my lugguage ... Thanks.
Old Feb 17th, 2007, 09:54 AM

You can do it. We spent 10 days traveling in Europe over Christmas and New Year's and only brought a carry on each. Just be sure to abide by the new gels/liquids rule and you'll be fine. Have a great vacation.
Old Feb 17th, 2007, 10:04 AM

I'm stressing out over the same thing for an upcoming trip in a few weeks. I've always done carry-on only for the flight over. This time I'm flying Lufthansa, with a 16 or 18 pound limit for carry-on, and I just can't do it. SO ... I plan to pack my 22" just like I've always done, with a carry-on bag inside which I bring to tote back all my "loot". Once it's all packed, I will remove the carry-on bag and as much of the "best" clothes that will fit into that without exceeding the weight limit. Then bring that onto the plane, and check the (now half empty) 22". If I never see the 22" again, at least I'll have most of the good stuff with me. I hope. Good luck with your own packing!
Old Feb 17th, 2007, 10:06 AM

We're leaving for Paris Thursday for 15 days and I'm "working on" packing only to carry-on. I've done this many times in the past, but, yes, the new rules mean being a tad more creative. Regarding the liquids rule, I have more than my DH, so I'll split them up and put my quota in my bag and my quota in his

Our apartment has a washing machine, but I've usually found they take too long and hanging to dry on racks takes forever, so I've already scouted neighborhood laundramats and we'll drop clothes there once or twice and have them laundered. This has always worked well and allows us to pack very light.

Old Feb 17th, 2007, 10:31 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Don't be deterred by the new regulations!

We always travel light, too, and were determined not to let the new rules change that for us when we went to Italy this past October. We each took one small carry-on. We waited until we got to Europe to buy liquid shampoo, disposable razors, etc. Took us all of 15 minutes to buy the stuff we needed, which was a lot less time than it would have taken us to check baggage. Piece of cake!
Old Feb 17th, 2007, 02:27 PM

We've traveled to Europe 5 times since 1999 and have not lost a checked back yet. Maybe we've been lucky and our luck will run out some day, but I do think too many people worry over this issue needlessly. Just make sure that you have all your important stuff like medications, camera, etc. on the plane with you.

If you still can't make yourself entrust your luggage to the airline, then do as others have said and buy the shampoo, razor, etc. when you arrive.
Old Feb 17th, 2007, 02:36 PM

Lucie's right, just buy what you need when you land, we all pack too much, we usually only wear a 3rd of what we take so be ruthless and pack light things and min make up, and have a lovely holiday...
Old Feb 17th, 2007, 03:14 PM

We just returned from 9 days in Europe and only used carry-on. Just fit all your liquid items in a ziploc bag. If something comes in too large a container, just put it in something smaller, enough for your trip. Or, if you think you need more, I agree with the "buy it when you get there" method. Regarding disposable shavers...we didn't have any problems and we were in a few different European airports. They were fine in our carry-ons.
I think everyone always packs too much. We were gone for 9 days and still have things we didn't wear.
Enjoy your travels.
Old Feb 17th, 2007, 03:16 PM

My sister and I are going to try the carry on route this time (Italy for 3 weeks).She's bucking the idea but I told her it is not up for debate. I always worry about traveling by train and having to much luggage. I tried to get her to do it on our last trip, but was unsuccesful. Of course her luggage arrive only 1 day late, MY luggage arrived 3 days before our 3 week vacation was over. I hated the few replacement clothes I had to buy and wear the entire trip. So if I can only have 3 outfits I want them to be things that I LOVE. Plus I think it will be fun to try going to the laudry mat in Italy. Happy packing everyone!
Old Feb 17th, 2007, 03:25 PM

We had hardly any wait for our luggage on our last trip (flying Continental SEA-EWR-CGN), either picking it up in CGN, or picking it up at EWR (for re-entry to the US), or picking it up once again at SEA. When I did "carry-on only", I would always jam it so that I had to spend a lot of time packing just so. With a slightly larger suitcase, there's no need to do that. I also had no problem with this luggage and trains.
Old Feb 17th, 2007, 03:33 PM

Way before 911 I started just packing the very small travel size of bathroom toiletries and than a few days later would buy more..again buying small sizes and not packing them if anything was left over when I flew home.
Old Feb 17th, 2007, 03:36 PM

Three cheers for LucieV.

I never understood why people have to pack a quart of shampoo for a three week trip to Europe. You can buy everything you need on almost every street corner these days in major cities. The stuff will probably cost 2 or 3 times as much over there but this is a minuscule expense compared to the cost of your airfare, hotel, daily meals, admissions, souvenirs, etc., and etc.

Old Feb 18th, 2007, 07:57 AM

I forgot to mention in my earlier post that, yes, buying in Europe is the way we go, as well. It's actually fun poking around foreign grocery stores.

BettyK, believe me, when you've had your luggage delayed by six days in London and four days after returning home, you will re-think the notion that "too many people worry over this issue needlessly." Aside from the obvious issue of spending precious vacation time shopping for clothes each day (evey day--in case they arrive the next), there is the inordinate amount of time spent each morning on the phone with the airlines and... oh, I'm getting worked up just reliving it.
Old Feb 18th, 2007, 08:31 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
After years of being a die-hard carry-on only travel, I find I like the convenience of checking one 22-24" wheeled suitcase. Because I am often solo, not having a suitcase during airport transfers is a treat for me.

That said, I pack a very carefully thought out carry-on of essentials including a change of clothes, extra glasses, etc.

re toiletries, I'm picky about products so would not want to have to go shopping for things like that the first day. I take my own shampoo, lotions, potions, etc. but downsize each into tiny travel bottles, all laid flat in a ziplock in my checked bag.
Old Feb 18th, 2007, 08:37 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I used carry-on two weeks ago with no problems and then checked two bags going back (as planned, since it was a shopping trip). This was in the direction Europe>USA>Europe.
Don't know about any new rules about razors. Straight razors have always been forbidden and all of the other kinds are authorized.
Old Feb 18th, 2007, 10:07 AM

FYI - A few weeks ago a TSA agent saw that I included a bottle of contact lens solution in my ziploc bag. He told me that since it is for medical use, it doesn't have to go in the bag. I have traveled again since then, but didn't separate it as I had enough room in my baggy for that plus my other liquids. I haven't had a chance to check the TSA website to see if it spells it out clearly. It might be worth looking into if you are tight on space and have a medicine that you are including.
Old Feb 18th, 2007, 10:07 AM
E_M

OK, this may be silly...be gentle.

What about saline solution for contact lenses? I've never actually looked abroad b/c I've always brought my own.
Old Feb 18th, 2007, 10:15 AM

Those of you who buy your toiletries when you get there must not have sensitive skin. I am really very jealous and I hate you all - LOL. If I did that, I'd risk spending a very uncomfortable vacation itching from head to toe!
Old Feb 18th, 2007, 10:35 AM

I, used to be the queen of the 30" suitcase. LOL When I went to Paris last November, I packed everything I needed into my 21" suitcase. I did plan on checking it so weight wasn't a factor and actually it didn't weigh very much. I got a hidious pink folding duffle bag that I put in the bottom of the suitcase and used that also for the trip home with my added purchases. Everything arrived just fine but I had insisted on booking direct SFO/CDG flights so no plane changes.

I'm flying down to Oakland in March to go to the barrel tasting and am going to experiment. I don't need hardly any luggage so I'm going to see what lotions and potions I can get into the small bottles and see how much of that I can get into the required quart sized bag. The only thing I'm wondering is, if you can take more that one quart sized bag? I'm just not a big fan of buying stuff when I get there and then having to leave it behind if I don't want to check my bag. So, this should be interesting.
Old Feb 18th, 2007, 10:39 AM

It bears pointing out that packing for a 10 day trip with a 25-50 pound allowance is one thing. Packing for 23 days with a 16 pound limit is another entirely.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -