Search

Honeymoon....

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2007, 10:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honeymoon....

Hi Everyone, my fiance and I are getting married in late September of 2008 and are planning a two or three week trip to Europe for a honeymoon. Does anyone have any suggestions? We cannot decide on where we want to go. We both love history and art. Any suggestions? We were maybe thinking Rome/Venice?
Old May 21st, 2007, 11:17 AM

Start at your bookstore or library and look through travel guides so you can get an idea what appeals most to YOU, since Italy is "history and art" personified and on this board you'll get as many opinions as there are posters.

Once you know what areas and cities most interest you and WHY, what kind of travel partners you are (slowtravel or fully-booked days) and what your budget and timetable is, then you can start to plan an itinerary. Once you reach that point our opinions will be of more help to you.

Congratulations on your engagement!
Old May 21st, 2007, 11:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! Neither of us have been outside of the continental U.S. so I was curious if there were some cities that were more tourist friendly for first timers!
Old May 21st, 2007, 11:39 AM

Paris,Venice and Florence. Yup, I'd add Rome to that as well.
Old May 21st, 2007, 11:57 AM

London, Paris, Rome? (cliche' maybe but still...the big 3)

They surely would provide the history and art loves.

Congratulations!
Old May 21st, 2007, 12:01 PM

The major cities will be more "tourist-friendly" simply because of more avialibility for accommodation, ease of transportation, and more people who will be speaking English.

Rome, Florence, Venice, and Paris are all favorites and each has their own points. This is where you'll need to start your research, as the only advice we can offer at this stage is for a honeymoon if you plan three weeks and intend to stay in the larger cities cited, allow about one week per city (daytrips to nearby smaller towns of interest can always be worked into this timeframe). You'll also want to determine if you prefer to rent an apartment or a hotel and start nosing around what options you have near the areas of greatest interest to you in each place. Good luck, and enjoy the planning process. I found it a lot more fun than the preparations for a wedding!