Honeymoon - Italy

Search

Honeymoon - Italy

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18th, 2011, 12:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honeymoon - Italy

I am booking our honeymoon for late September into early October, we will be in Italy for 12 days. From reading the forums on here, it seems people recommend only going to about 3 major spots and then take day trips from these home bases.

We are young, fit and active - we enjoy seeing the museums, basilicas, art galleries but most of all food, wine and culture are our favorites along with any physical activities (wine tours on bicycles, hikes, etc.). Our proposed schedule is below.

Day 1 Cinque Terre (Staying in Riomaggiore)
Day 2 Cinque Terre (Staying in Riomaggiore)
Day 3 Cinque Terre (Staying in Riomaggiore)
Day 4 Cinque Terre (Staying in Riomaggiore)

Day 5 Siena/Florence (looking to stay at an Agriturismo)
Day 6 Siena/Florence
Day 7 Siena/Florence
Day 8 Siena/Florence
Day 9 Siena/Florence

Thoughts on staying in Florence vs. Siena?

Day 10 Rome
Day 11 Rome
Day 12 Rome

A few questions:
- are we staying too long in Cinque Terre?
- too long in Tuscany? Any other good recos for cities in Tuscany that are hidden gems?
- is it more feasible to rent a car or best to take the trains?

Any other comments would be welcome
Old Aug 18th, 2011, 12:25 PM

For Tuscany renting a car is definitely the way to go. If staying at an agritourismo, it's really your only option.

I don't think three days is near long enough for Rome.

>> we enjoy seeing the museums, basilicas, art galleries but most of all food, wine and culture are our favorites along with any physical activities<<

With that description I think that CT/Florence/Tuscany would be a perfect fit. I know it seems like sacrilige to some people not to include Rome, but there will always be future trips. Maybe your second Italy trip will be Rome/Venice
Old Aug 18th, 2011, 12:35 PM

Congrats go a lot have been to all your areas

was there last May

Add www.venice-tourism.com for several days

www.bauervenezia.com for me last good deals www.otel.com

Florence has the most amazing art would stay IN the city

to see all the amazing stuff Siena not so much skip it.

www.cinqueterre.com pretty but quite isolated a couple

of days there would be plenty.

Train is best seat61.com for me car is costly

a liability in big cities.

Get great 4-5 stars in Big Cities bidding Priceline.com

Intercontinental Roma Ville at Spanish Steps $180 for me

www.betterbidding.com good site for this

www.eurocheapo.com great info city guides...

insuremytrip.com always wise for the rare snafu

like the Iceland volcano for me last year saved my bacon.

Happy Planning!
Old Aug 18th, 2011, 01:33 PM

Where do you arrive/depart. How can we help not knowing any facts? Why Riomaggore? Do you want a rural agriturismo or not?
Old Aug 18th, 2011, 02:11 PM

I asssume you mean Sept 2012.

Do you specifically want to start at a slower pace, and finish your trip in Rome?
Or would you consider starting off in Rome when you are most energetic, because it is a more energetic environment? That is what I did, and was glad of it.
Old Aug 18th, 2011, 02:32 PM

PeaceOut, I thought about that too, but knowing how exhausted my brother and sister-in-law were after their wedding, starting off the honeymoon in a relaxing place might be a good idea! It's probably personal preference.

I can't speak to the Tuscany bit, but I'd at least take one day from Cinque Terre and add it to Rome. Three days in Rome (one of which will be partially spent in transit from somewhere else) isn't all that long. Are your travel days on Day 0 and Day 13? And will you be on an overnight flight on the way there?
Old Aug 18th, 2011, 02:50 PM

I would be bored stiff in CT for that long. And you definitely need more time in rome. An agriturismo is in the countryside (not Florence or Siena - there you would get an apt) and you would have to rent a car to see anything.

the problem with an agriturismo is if they serve dinner. If they do a good dinner fine - otherwise one of you wl not have to have wine with dinner - or you'll have to take very expensive cabs to and fro restaurants.
Old Aug 18th, 2011, 04:35 PM

I would certainly take a day away from CT and add it to Rome.
Rent a car in Tuscany.
Stay in Florence vs. Siena (I love Siena but Florence is so beautiful).
Have a wonderful trip.
Old Aug 19th, 2011, 09:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! A day will be taken from CT and added to Rome!

A bit more information - didn't want to inundate you with details.

It is for 2011 - yes last minute for some, but we like to fly by the seat of our pants

We fly into Munich - we will go to Oktoberfest for 2 days then drive down through Salzburg for another 2 days. From here we will cross the boarder into Italy and head straight to CT, then drive through the Tuscany region and lastly a whirlwind in Rome and off to Paris for the weekend in honor of where we got engaged! Munich/Austri will be a fastpaced tour, then we wanted to go to CT/Tuscany to relax, hike, eat, drink, etc. Then back to Rome/Paris for another crazed adventure.

Riomaggiore - we chose because we have been told it is the least busy, most authentic, and slightly less expensive. But since everything is fairly close and we will like hiking, we are not too concerned about where we stay per-say.

Tuscany - we wanted to get a rural feel and stay in an agriturismo to have an authentic experience we are looking at one just outside of Siena - Val d'Orcia. But another suggestion is welcome. I will ensure there is dinner available at the agriturismo. Then we would want to stay in an apartment/hotel in Florence for a few days to get the city feel.
Old Aug 19th, 2011, 09:28 AM

Do you already have your lodging in Munich booked for Oktoberfest? My sister and I went to oktoberfest ten years ago and we started making our plans in January/February and could not find any rooms available in Munich at that time, 8 months out. We ended up having to stay all the way out in Augsberg, an hour away from Munich by train.

And Val d'Orcia is not exactly just outside of Siena - it's about an hour by car.
Old Aug 19th, 2011, 10:02 AM

Do you mind paying about 500E for a drop charge on the car.
Are you sure you have thought this through? Seat of the pants is one thing---being clueless is another. The drive from Salzburg to Riomaggiore will be close to 8 hours and you may arrive at dusk or later. Parking in Riomaggiore is not easy.
Sorry, but you need help on this trip---you are dreaming. I really hate to see a honeymoon fall thorugh the cracks for lack of preparation.
Old Aug 19th, 2011, 10:51 AM

Most of the agriturismi in the Val d'Orcia require a 7-night stay.
Old Aug 19th, 2011, 11:46 AM

I suggest-

2 nights Cinque Terre
2 nights Florence
5 nights Tuscan or Umbria countryside with a car
4 nights Rome

If you feel like this is too much moving around, you can always skip Florence or Rome (they will be there for your next visit) and add the days to the Cinque Terre or countryside.

Fonte Bertusi is a great agriturismo in the Val d'Orcia that rents for less than a week. They do not provide dinner, but there are plenty of wonderful restaurants within a 5-15 minute drive.

http://www.fontebertusi.it/eng/

In Umbria, I like staying at this agriturismo-

http://www.lecasegialle.it/
Old Aug 19th, 2011, 12:19 PM

hi, lynds:

I'll be honest with you and tell you -- since I live on the Italian Riviera-- if what you care about is food and wine in Italy, you shouldn't be staying in le CInque Terre or Tuscany in early October. You should be going to other towns in the Riviera, not the super tourist towns, and you should be going to Piemonte, not Tuscany.

What don't you consult with people on the Chowhound website about your itinerary if -- in fact -- what you care about is food and wine.

If what you really want is picture postcard first and food second, then Chowhound isn't going to be able to help you. But if food and wine is important to you, see what the folks at Chowhound have to say.

The Italian Riviera is filled with beauty that most visitors who head to le Cinque Terre never see. Likewise Piemonte -- and most of all Tuscany. If you are a foodie heading to Tuscany, FLorence and Siena and their near environs in October are not optimal.

If you are a tourist first and foodie second, scratch what I just said.
Old Aug 19th, 2011, 03:49 PM

I think your plans are great, other than too many days in CT, which you are correcting and the Octoberbest (because we don't like beer).

My husband and I love long road trips and the drive from Salzberg to CT would be perfect for us.

We also love Tuscany and even though the food might not be as "renown" as Piedmonte, we far prefer the wine and in the regions of Italy the wine has grown up with the food so they are always a great match. It is also beautiful (as is Piedmonte).
Old Aug 19th, 2011, 03:51 PM

Another thought. If you don't want to move around a lot then stay by Siena and take the bus up to Florence for a day or two.
Old Aug 19th, 2011, 04:14 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Rather than the longer drive Riomaggiore in the CT, I'd go to Lake Garda and probably stay at Malcesine where you can take the cable car up into the mountains above the town. Lots of hiking and drop-dead views.

http://www.funiviedelbaldo.it/index.php?lang=en

The route from Lake Garda to Florence or Siena would take you through Bologna where you could stop for a great meal in what some call the "food capital of Italy."

As bobthenavigator pointed out, you should check into the overall cost of renting the car in Germany and dropping it in Italy.
Old Aug 20th, 2011, 12:22 PM

jnjfraz,

That's nice you dismiss "renown" when it comes to your own personal preferences, but the wine of Piemonte is "renown" for a reason -- including the reason that it hasn't so often been bent to suit export markets or tourist tastes.

And the notion that Piemonte wines have somehow "not grown up" with the local cuisine is absurd. That is much more true of most of the wines and food hyped to tourists in Tuscany.

Also, I cannot imagine anybody coming to Liguria for the wine -- and I live here, and I love wine. But does anybody disagree that Liguria ranks about dead last in Italy with respect to wine cultivation?

I think the OP, who may not know a great deal about Italy and who may have gotten caught up in the hype about Tuscany and le Cinque Terre, deserves to be clued in with respect to some kind of perspective about great regions for food and wine for Italy. Tourist Tuscany is certainly not one of them. Although the Italian Riviera has some great food outside of le Cinque Terre, it is slim pickings within it.

I just finished a trip to Italy's valle d'Aosta and i did NOT go there for the food and wine. I found enjoyable food and wine there, but I wouldn't try to pass it off onto foodies as a food and wine destination. When I want good food and wine in Italy in October, I head to Piemonte. When I want it on the Riviera, I go almost anywhere BUT le Cinque Terre.

And I certainly wouldn't go to Malcesine in Lago di Garda in October looking for great food and wine. (I'd go elsewhere nearby -- but why, when you can go to Piemonte?)

As I posted before, if the picture postcard or visiting famous places are what the OP wants for their honeymoon more than great food and wine, why shouldn't they go to Tuscany (or Malcesine)?

But since they put food and wine at the top of THEIR list, why not respect that? I don't think there is any knowledgeable argument that ranks Tuscany as the best food and wine destination in Italy in October. Sorry, but that is not some "elite" judgment. It is a fact.
Old Aug 20th, 2011, 01:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, lynds, good luck sorting out the differing views.

FWIW, if you were at Lake Garda between September 30th and October 3rd, you could attend the Festa dell'Uva in Bardolino about 30-40 minutes south of Malcesine. Evening music concerts, food, wine and a fireworks show at the end.

http://www.lagodigardamagazine.com/w...ake-garda.aspx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_w-z13lVlNk

If you missed the festival, there are wine tours in the Lake Garda/Verona area.

http://www.veronissima.com/sito_ingl...tours_ing.html
Old Aug 20th, 2011, 02:44 PM

"Also, I cannot imagine anybody coming to Liguria for the wine -- and I live here, and I love wine. But does anybody disagree that Liguria ranks about dead last in Italy with respect to wine cultivation?"

Boy I agree with you there. I will not get into the other because I have read you posts. I was only trying to point out that everyone has their very own and personal "taste buds" and wine and food is a very personal preference, so no matter what the experts say, and yes I know that they say Piedmonte is the best wine. Oh no Brunellos are the best. Oh no Super Tuscans are the best.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -