Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Venice Holidays Rentals: San Bortolomio and San Marco Apartments--reviews?

Old May 14th, 2007, 06:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone had a favorable or unfavorable experience with these? It's my first time in Venice (3 days/3 nights). Hotel prices are outrageous, and these are renting for 500 euro for 3 nights. I'm concerned...
Old May 14th, 2007, 06:14 AM

Mindbiz-I would check with Denise at venicerentals.com. Denise is an American married to a Venetian, and she has very reasonable prices, and a good selection-she will even give you a cell phone to use while in Venice.
Old May 14th, 2007, 06:20 AM
Original Poster

I contacted Denise based on a referral---maybe from you even? Denise said they had a 4 night minimum and referred me to Venice Holidays. If Denise is reputable, I presume her referrals would be, but I'm still a little concerned.
Old May 14th, 2007, 06:26 AM
J62

I ran into the same issue - planned to stay 3 nights and Denise has 4 night minimum.

My solution? I decided to stay for 4 nights.

Denise and I had a lot of emails back and forth about 4-5 apartments and her understanding of my family needs and preferences helped narrow it down to 2 similar choices. Coin toss in the end.

Old May 14th, 2007, 08:00 AM

Mindibiz -can you post the links?
Old May 14th, 2007, 08:40 AM

I'm going to be staying at the San Bartolomio next week. 700 euros for 6 days.

I think it was the weekly rate but I'm staying only 6 days.

They've been very responsive to emails. You fax them a credit card number which has a 2% or 5% service charge, the latter for Amex.
Old May 14th, 2007, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

Here go:

Venice Rentals
Contact=Denise
www.venicerentals.com
[email protected]
Boston Telephone number: 617 472 5392

Venice Holidays
Contact=Ms. Monica Guida
www.venice-holidays.com
[email protected]
Tel (Venice) 0039 0412602334
Fax (Venice) 0039 04158131178

scrb---please post a review or e-mail me so I can get your personal experience. Did you read where A/C charges were separate? I'm confused about how this works...
Old May 14th, 2007, 12:20 PM

Both apartments look basic, but fine (especially for the price.) Is there some reason you want to stay in San Marco? Both locations are very busy with tourists. The one in Campo San Bartolomeo, if it faces the street, might be rather noisy.
Old May 14th, 2007, 01:09 PM

San Bartolomio apartment is suppose to be on Calle Aquila Nera? So it doesn't appear to be directly on the Campo.

Hopefully it is quiet.

In the directions they gave me, they said to look for Sottoportego de Acquila Nera but I didn't find maps with that name.

I booked like back in October and even then, some places which I might have preferred were booked up.

There's some cheaper and nicer accomodations on the Giudecca but too far away it seemed. So did areas like Arsenale or Fondamentte Nueve.
Old May 20th, 2007, 10:17 PM

OK, finally arrived at the San Bartolomio apartment on venice-holidays.com

It's in a very nice location, off a side street off the Campo San Bartolomeo. The street ends in a canal, framed under an arch. Took a pick of a gondola passing right under that arch.

There's a trattoria right outside the bedroom window. Pricey but they're not open too late so not much noise.

I thought the ad said lift but there isn't and it's the second story (2 flights above ground level, forget the Italian word for story). Was brutal getting my suitcase up there but do-able.

Two very roomy bedrooms (they said they only made up one of them?). Kitchen is minial but has microwave, gas stove, fridge. Bathroom is small but clean and they apparently retrofit a real small shower. I'm talking the my back was up against the curtains. And afterwards, the water spilled over the little brim.

There is an AC unit in the living room. It hasn't been too hot so I haven't left it on too long.

Main gripe is they only left a couple of towels so I've emailed them and hopefully they will bring more for a week stay.

Location I would think is great for a first-timer in Venice. You're very close to the Rialto bridge and vaporetto stop.
Old May 21st, 2007, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, scrb!
Old May 21st, 2007, 12:07 PM

Well their answer is 4 or 6 euros more each depending on what size additional towels you want.

So if you rent with these people, pack a couple of towels on your own.

I'll see if I can pick one or two up around here.