Homebase in Berner Oberland?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 01:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello. We will be spending 4 nights in the Berner Oberland in late May. We plan to hike, bike, and enjoy the various small towns.

Which town in the area would you suggest for our home base? Should we spend 2 nights in each of 2 different towns to gain a variety of experiences? Grindlewald? Gimmelwald? Wengen? Lauterbrunnen? Thun? We plan to avoid Interlaken as it has gotten a bad rap as too touristy (rumors of a Hooters???!!).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated? Thank you.
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 04:23 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Thought you were joking about Hooters until I did a search, and sure enough, there it was. Yikes. Guess I can add that to my list of reasons not to stay in Interlaken...

I prefer Wengen and Murren as bases, but it really depends on what you want to do. I've never stayed in Lauterbrunnen, but it would make a very good base because you could hop a train from there and head just about anywhere, whereas if you're in Murren you have to backtrack if you want to go anywhere else.

Personally, I'd not break up the trip between two areas, as it's easy enough to get from point A to point B, but it can be time consuming, depending on train connections, etc. For instance, you can stay in Murren or Wengen and go to Grindelwald, Lauterbrunnen or Interlaken for an afternoon, etc.

As far as biking though - if you mean mountain biking, you can probably stay anywhere. If you mean just biking through town, well there's not much to Murren or Wengen in that regard. You might be better off in Lauterbrunnen, where you can bike along the vally floor and head to several areas from there.
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 04:26 PM

Forgot to mention that in late May, many hotels and restaurants in the villages are closed. Your choice of where to stay might be made for you on that basis alone. FYI - there's only one year round hotel in Murren - Hotel Alpenruh.

If you have trouble finding an open hotel, you might want to consider renting an apartment - many apartment owners will rent for less than a week during the off season (such as in May)

Good luck.
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 04:33 PM

From the "what it's worth department" we are spending a week in a chalet in Grindelwald the last week in May. Cost is 100 Sfr a night. We'll have a car and just taking day trips throughout the area.

We chose that area because of the variety of restaurants/things to do in the evening.
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 04:43 PM

Chicagoahc, hope you don't mind if I piggyback on your question... We're hoping to visit the Berner Oberland for three overnights in either late May or early June. Grindelwald is our top choice so far, but Lauterbrunnen also seems worth considering. We'd like to stay in a town that has a choice of restaurants/nightlife, good hiking, and is a good base in terms of transportation throughout the area. I know that Grindelwald fits that description, but I'm not sure about Lauterbrunne. Is one better than the other? Thanks!
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 04:49 PM

Meredith -

I'd choose Grindelwald over Lauterbrunnen if you're looking for a variety of restaurants, etc. Both places have lots of hiking opportunities.

You might run into some closures though - so if you've got certain excursions in mind, I'd suggest you research opening times so you're not disappointed.

PS - some hiking trails might still be snow covered and muddy - others might be closed.
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 05:52 PM

With only 4 nights, I would look for one central place and go from there.
Late May is a problematic time because snow is still melting at the upper levels where many of the good trails are.

Accessibility all depends on this year's snow depth.

The train to Schynige Platte is scheduled to begin on May 27. The Grindelwald - First Gondola will start on May 13 according to the schedule.

I am not so sure I would want to be in Mürren and plan on quick trips in and out. The old Standseilbahn that has been a vital link between Lauterbrunnen and Mürren is going out of service.

The current system is scheduled to be shut down in late April. The new system, single cabin suspended from a cable, will not be ready until December.

I have not been able to find out how people are expected to get up to Mürren.
There is another cable car system, but it is the Schilthornbahn. The cable line valley station is near the end of the valley at Stechelberg. There is a parking lot for cars near the station, but it cannot handle the load if everybody has to ride the cable car up to Mürren.

If somebody knows how the summer tourist crowd is to be handled I wish he or she would post it.

Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 06:12 PM

My preference would be Wengen, as there are no cars and it is easier to travel from, than is equally car less Murren. Thene are hundreds of inexpensive chalets/apts to rent which we have always found preferable to hotels as they offer a living room to spread out in, kitchen for snacks, etc.I would recommend the Bernese Oberland pass if you are going to be traveling on trains, cable cars and going up to Jungfraujoch (tickets half price with pass). And don't forget, children 15 and younger are free on all Swiss transportation when traveling with a parent--get a Swiss Junior card for about $20 for their ID and free passage. Gimmelwald is lovely, but very remote--which is part of it's charm, but means you have to back track a lot to see the other villages as it is at "the end of the line" so to speak. Wengen & Murren are smaller than Grindlewald and less accessible (no cars), so you can become familiar with the entire village quickly, meet people, etc.
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 06:22 PM

Melnq8 - Thanks for the advice!
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 11:04 PM

Bob -

I just read this morning that the funicular (Lauterbrunnen to Grutschalp)will continue operating until July '06 - is that incorrect?

Have been unsuccessful in finding out more info - I'm really curious about how they plan to handle the summer crowd as well.
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 11:31 PM

Answered my own question - apparently the July '06 date was a deadline - the Jungfraubahn site lists the following operating dates for 2006:

Bernese Oberland Railway (BOB) In operation all year

Wengernalp Railway (WAB) In operation all year

Jungfrau Railway (JB) In operation all year

Harder Railway (HB) 29 April – 29 October 2006

Schynige Platte Railway (SPB) 27 May -15 October 2006

First Aerial Cableway (FB) Winter operations to 17 April 2006

6 May – 12 May 2006 to Bort

Summer operations:

13 May – 22 October 2006

Mountain railway Lauterbrunnen-Mürren (BLM) In operation to 23 April 2006
(maintenance from 24 April 2006)

The progress of the replacement cableway will most likely be posted on this site (under Press Releases).

www.jungfraubahn.ch/en