Search

Home from Paris & Rome...

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20th, 2007, 03:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Home from Paris & Rome...

Hi all,

I've been home just over a week and jet lag is seriously kicking my butt.

Just briefly wanted to post that we stayed at this apartment VRBO # 100027 in the 3rd and enjoyed it greatly.

It's modern, clean, a great location with close proximity to two metro lines which was oh so helpful.

Also the owners had wonderful communication with us prior to arrival and left a very detailed book of how to use appliances etc.

One item I need to mention that I have never seen posted on here is a medical service that makes house calls and came in very, very handy.

On the flight over I had started getting sick, a bladder infection with fever. The owners had left us the name of SOS Medicins in case of emergencies Phone # 08 20 33 24 24. I called and a doctor was at our apartment within 20 minutes, I was examined and written a Rx all for 75 Euros. In two days I was feeling so much better and I was so grateful I knew who to call.

I'll write more later just wanted to check in and say we had a great time and not one bad meal.
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 05:02 PM

Welcome home - so sorry you were ill.

Jet lag really gets to me, too, (although only coming home. Going east I do OK). Please post more when you feel better.

If you do not use this thread to post your trip report, would you please reference it here so I don't miss it? Thanks!
Old Jun 21st, 2007, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks LC,

Luckily my illness was short lived and I had the resources to help speed up my recovery. I too seem to be only affected by jet lag coming home.

I've been reading so many wonderful trip reports on here lately and there is no way I will even delude myself in believing that I will rank with these. However, I use this board often and also try and repay in turn.

Seems also my trip post will need to be done in several segments being back at work, not having much energy, then finding all my little cards and actually organizing these.

The basics are my sweetheart and I were in the following cities:

Paris: 5/26-6/2 http://www.vrbo.com/100027

Rome: 6/2-6/12
http://realrome.com/proplucesplitlevel.html

Florence: 6/6-6/8 and back to Rome
http://www.touristhouseghiberti.com/

We, DH and I had planned out our trip starting in Dec. 06. Fights and picking accommodation's is always my first step, the rest is all subject to change.

We had been to London and Paris last May for my honey's 50th and absolutely wanted more of Paris and this time I wanted to visit my favorite city of Rome. First time visit for my DH.

Never thought I would utter this but I think Paris has become my number 1 city and Rome ranking 2. More on that later.

Originally my sister said she wanted to come with us to Rome, I convinced her to come at the same time but get a travel buddy also and we could meet up. I knew that I did not want to spend every day planning something for three of us. I do love my sister and have already had some unpleasant travel well with her, so setting boundaries was a good thing. She and the mutual friend she picked to travel with decided to book a AAA tour that went to London, Paris, Nice, Venice, Florence and Rome! We met them both one night in Paris and one in Florence - this was perfect for us all.

Will write again but all for now...

Old Jun 21st, 2007, 12:40 PM

Welcome home!

Can't wait to read your report.

I am seriously thinking of heading to Rome and Paris next year...maybe 5 days at each...with a quick jaunt to Florence to visit my BFF there (lucky girl, she lives there!).

Can't wait to hear how your trip was!
Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 04:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Camelbak,

I vote yes on your going to Paris Rome and Florence! When I do it again, who knows when, I would start with Italy and end in Paris.

More of my trip....

Finally I have a bit of time to write a little more on our Paris/Rome travels. The last few times I have been to these cities it’s been late spring, fall and even winter. I have decided I’ll most likely stick to those seasons in the future. Even arriving very early in the summer months the crowds were so much greater and this made it less enjoyable. The bonuses of summertime travel however were how late it remains light out and the summer produce (cherries impractical where fantastic).

We got a bit of a rocky start due to several things, one was as I mentioned getting ill on the flight over and two was just that it took me about five days to seriously detach and decompress from my job. Usually a good three to four months prior to my big trip, I start preparing mentally and physically. This trip even though for months I had all accommodations and such in order it felt like it just crept up and all of a sudden we were on the plane. I had been non stop busy at work from March till take off and sadly the stress did take its toll. As I like to be, I was not in my normal ok-let’s go have an adventure enthusiasm – I was tired, and I recovered.

In a nutshell – Paris love it even more than before, however I’ve decided I believe I am a left bank girl rather than a right banker. The apartment was very comfortable, with a wonderful bathtub that I used almost nightly. The bathtub was deep and had lots of hot water.

Weather surprisingly for late May was pretty dang chilly, yes I did look at the forecast before I left, and not surprisingly rain. We really used our Carte Orange passes a lot and loved these as we covered a lot of ground on both metros and our feet.

Pampering wise I took a picture and had my hair cut and colored for 116 euros at Marianne Gray’s in the 6th. www.mariannegray.com The stylist was a man and name his is Manh. Would go back again most definitely. I also went back for an afternoon at the Hammam at the Mosque, however it was cold and rainy so they were very busy and I was not able to get a massage. This time I brought my own scrub mitt and received a big thumbs up approval from the woman who gave me my gommage. I tried to tell her I bought it at BHV – however this did not translate, even with me writing the letters BHV in the air with my finger.

More later….
Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 04:26 PM

Ecat -
Noted that you liked your Paris apartment and have bookmarked it for future reference. Wonder if you felt the same about your Rome space - it looks good. price is very reasonable.
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 07:27 AM
Original Poster

tomass,

Yes we did like the Rome apartment very much. I had seen this apartment back in 2004 when I fellow poster Barb was staying there and knew one day I would like to try it. The price is great.

One thing that could be a problem for some is that the upstairs ceiling is pretty low. My sweetheart and to crouch over while walking upstairs and I hit my head on a wooden beam one morning. Other than that, we really loved the kitchen, living area and the many windows in the apartment.

The apartment location is very good, a 5 min walk over to the center. The area closer to Santa Maria in Trastevere gets way too festive at night for me so we were happy with our spot.

Having said this, as happy as I was with the apartment - I do think I prefer staying in the center rather than Trastevere.
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 07:32 AM

Thanks, ecat -
I actually prefer to be "off center" in Rome. Quieter and a more "localized" flavor than the "hotel districts".

I'm scouting ahead for an apartment I expect to need in 18 months, when I hope to take my sister to Italy for her first time. We can obviously have an apartment for much less than the price of two hotel rooms, but still have some privacy.

Thanks again! Tom
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 10:16 AM

I am SO glad you enjoyed "our" Rome apt. I loved it, but I had the sleeper sofa so I didn't have to deal with the low ceiling upstairs. My friend bumped her head a couple times getting out of bed though. Other than that, it's a great apt. It was nice having the half bath downstairs.

I am looking forward to hearing more about your trip! BTW did you get married???
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

Hi Barb,

Very good to hear from you! Yes we did like it and yes agree that the 2nd bathroom was great.

We are/were so amazed by the food in Rome. We did not eat expensively and everything, and I mean everything was so good including those "cherries impractical" I referred to earlier. This was meant to be cherries in particular.

Nope, we're not married yet but yes I'm still with the same wonderful man. I just used the (DH) abbreviation seen so often on here, but that really doesn't feel right to me either. I didn't want to keep typing in sweetheart, and I associated and an abbreviated (SH) in a bad way.

Not really having as much luck with the writing of this non-report, report that I had hoped - oh well. I don't think it's of much interest to others either. So I think I ought to say we had a great time and leave it at that. And we did have a great time...

Take care, E
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 01:17 PM

NO, no we want to hear more!!! please.
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 01:28 PM

Eileen!

I have been away from my computer for a few days, so this is the first time I am seeing your report.

I was actually wondering the other day if you were back and how your trip went.

I'm so glad you were able to get over your illness quickly and it didn't ruin your trip.

Did I read correctly that you like Paris more than Rome now? Excuse me while I stop my mouth from gaping open!

Please write more when you get a chance.

Johanna
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 01:30 PM

I agree with Barb, more please. I will be spending 8 nights in Rome and 7 in Paris this Oct/Nov.

Tom
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 02:35 PM
Original Poster

Aww, you made me blush thanks guys.

In Paris this time, we decided not to do any museums and rather just explore. We had a list of things we wanted to see and we loved this plan of no real plans and once again the Carte Orange worked so well for us.

It was kind of weird for us this time as we just were not at all in sync with the food. I had visions of outdoor markets, pastries, foie gras etc. but this was limited and we ended up eating several fallafes (one from the well know L'As Du Fallafel).

The Monoprix by our house was closed for a few days, don't know why and when we found another one close by there were about 6 police wagons outside and they were closed! So we weren't having much luck for a few days supermarket wise. I know people will scoff but I had read about the frozen food shop Picard and there was one right by our apartment. I don't care what anyone says, I love this store. It came in so handy when we could not get to the supermarket and needed something quick. Prices are crazy cheap and quality very good.

Close to the end we did make it to the nearby Efants Rouge market and across the street bought from an Italian specialty shop we had gone to last year as well, fresh jambon & mozzarella ravioli to cook at home, outstanding.

I had done such great research on Hammams and sadly only was able to visit once the Mosque one in the 5th. On our last full day, I wanted to go again but decided that last year when I went it was such a special experience, something that can't be recreated by will that I allowed myself to know I would be back and could explore more.
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 04:36 PM

Ecat,

Could you tell us more about the Paris apartment - where in the 3rd was it? Was it quite/safe? Seemed like a really good price!
Old Jun 26th, 2007, 10:36 AM
Original Poster

Hi Anna,

Sure - the apartment is on Rue Bailly in the 3rd. It felt safe. Sound wise with the windows closed it was very quiet, they were double paned. With the windows open, very noisy. Was amazed how much sound was kept out simply by shutting them.
Old Jun 26th, 2007, 11:46 AM

Ecat,

Thanks for the reply - was it really 900 euros for a week in May?
Old Jun 26th, 2007, 03:07 PM
Original Poster

Anna, yes that's the price.
Old Jun 26th, 2007, 07:32 PM

We're going to Rome in September, so I'd like to hear about your recent impressions there, if you have a little more time to post. We've been once, briefly and in 1996, and will be returning with son and DIL who've never been.
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 07:10 AM
Original Poster

Hi Travelnut,

I apologize that I have not even made it out of my spazzy Paris postings and on to Rome, I've been busy being back at work.

How exciting you'll be going to Rome and in September too! I do love Rome, and I believe this was my sixth time there since 2001. I was very surprised how crowded it was so early June. I thought I was being so smart and would arrive before the real tourist season hit. I was wrong.

It was so crowded this time that I didn't even go to into Giolitti for gelato when I saw what a zoo it was inside. I only went to the bar for a cafe. However my new favorite gelato shop is close by called Cremeria Monteforte. Via della Rotonda 22. Looking at the Pantheon it's beside it to the right. Very small but choice flavors. Vanilla with bing Cherries called Anuella paired with the creama were my 1st choice combo followed by Limone and creama.

Whaaa I have to go to work.... I want to stay home complete this and to fantasize more about the coffee, gelato, produce, pasta, fountains, colors and people of Rome.