Home Exchange Programs

Search

Home Exchange Programs

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2008, 02:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Home Exchange Programs

I have been reviewing different home exchange programs and wanted to know my fellow fearless travelers' experience with such programs. If you have participated, can you tell me if you had a good experience? Was your home left in good condition by your exchangers? Do you wish that you had stayed in a hotel instead? Do you have a particular exchange company that you prefer -- or that you think should be avoided? Any tips for a first-time exchanger? Many thanks!
Old May 12th, 2008, 02:37 PM

there is a very long thread on this subject on fodors, I think it is in the Europe board...
Old May 12th, 2008, 02:39 PM

This is the thread:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34933539
Old May 12th, 2008, 03:25 PM

Search home exchange and there are several other posts on the topic as well.

We've done several, both domestically (US) and internationally and had always had a great experience. Our home was left in perfect order and we've been very pleased with our exchange houses.

We have two boys and often travel with additional family members so having the space of a house is a big perk. Additionally, we're pretty slow travelers and really enjoy spending time in one place and living like locals. I expect if you wish to tick off destinations than an exchange might not be the best choice.

Exchanges are often agreed upon many months in advance. Also, emailing and being honest about expectations and the agreement can help make both sides comfortable.
Old May 12th, 2008, 05:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your input! You all are awesome!
Old May 13th, 2008, 04:45 AM

I don't think of them as "programs", rather as noticeboards. You do all the work to reassure yourself and your prospective partners. I don't expect anything of the intermediary organisation.
Old May 13th, 2008, 05:53 AM

Homelink , Homeexchange, Intervac -- all very good sources of homes offered for exchange.
Excellent way to save money and spend holiday in a home or an apt. instead of a tiny hotel room.
Where you live often determines the interest of other exchanges for your home ( for example : New York seems to be the most desirable location in North America).
The members make contact with each other and go from there.
We have had more than 20 exchanges in major cities in US, Canada, Europe , Australia, and New Zealand - all very successful.
You have to be comfortable with the concept of strangers staying in your home; once the first exchange goes well - you'll never look back..
If you wish more info. post an e-mail address and I will contact you.
Old May 16th, 2008, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

Hi Danon. I would love to know more about which is your favorite exchange site. Should I belong to more than one? I'd love to go to some of the places that you mentioned, esp Australia. We have a ski-in ski-out condo that we are going to trade. You can reached me at [email protected]. Many thanks!
Old May 16th, 2008, 05:12 PM

LaJen, I have just send you an e-mail
d.