Home Exchange experiences

Old May 4th, 2010, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

Home Exchange experiences

After having just read a trip report where the writer did a house exchange, I have once again started thinking about doing this for our SW Colorado house. We want to exchange for someplace in San Francisco for fall. I figure it is prime time in both places, so maybe it would work.

I would like to know if you have done this what were your experiences - good, bad or otherwise. Suggestions to find a place, suggestions for what you would do the same or do differently. Did you let them use you car? Was it simultaneous exhcange?

Are there better websites than others? Is is wise to join more than one site?

Give me insights, please!
Old May 4th, 2010, 05:09 PM
Original Poster

anyone??
Old May 4th, 2010, 07:22 PM

Do a search. There have been numerous topics on this, many with some very good information.
Old May 4th, 2010, 07:56 PM

A friend of ours had so many successful home exchange experiences, he started the company that was mentioned in the movie "The Holiday." He keeps trying to get us to join, but the concept just isn't our thing, so we have no experience to share.
Old May 9th, 2010, 06:35 PM

Hi Debit,

I have actual experiences to share. I've know about it for years and since travel has become so expensive and I live in a ski resort town, I thought I'd give it a whirl!

I've had all good experiences. I joined the site mentioned above which is www.homeexchange.com. Seems to be very international. I have found, however, that few Europeans are aware of Utah and seem to prefer the Alps for skiing. Obviously, because it's so much less expensive and easier for them....I get tons of request from Australia, Florida and southern California. Only Australia has interest for me.

My exchanges have been with people from all over. North Carolina for a non-simultaneous exchange. They stayed with me for skiing and I went to their second home in the mountains for fall colors. We had a wonderful time and they were lovely people.

Another, very easy exchange, was with a couple from Springdale and we traded for Thanksgiving. It was wonderful! We never met in person, but without previous agreement, we both cleaned and did laundry for each other before departure. We traded cats, but not cars.

I've just finished setting up another exchange with a person in Oregon near Hood River. We are both single ladies, skiers, with dogs. So we are trading and really looking forward to it.

The one trade I did where things went a bit wonky was for a non-silmultaneous trade in Moab. We got there to discover we were locked out because I forgot to bring the combo with me. No problem, we contacted the owner (who was on a month long trade in France) via e mail. Spent the first night in a motel and got in the next day. All worked well until it was his turn to come to my house. Wrecked his back and couldn't hike so didn't come.

I've just e mailed him to offer an alternative for this summer if he likes.

Mostly lots of good people out there. I think you can tell from the vibe....

By the way, we should exchange some time!
Old May 9th, 2010, 08:06 PM

Dayle, I can tell you from experience with many Europeans we meet in Vail on the chairlifts every year that, yes, few are aware how good the skiing is in Utah. But we also hear how unreliable the snow has been in the Alps and Dolomites over the last few years and of course how far their euros and pounds go in the U.S. I think you'll see the foreign interest in Utah increase over the coming years (unless the currency exchange rate tips back in favor of the dollar). We certainly promote Utah skiing for the easy fly-in access.
Old May 10th, 2010, 06:41 PM

This past winter while in the checkout line at the grocery store, I got talking with an Irish couple. They had caught on to Utah a couple years ago. They've been back every year since.

We get Europeans, just not as many as you would expect.
Old May 10th, 2010, 07:15 PM
Original Poster

Dayle, we should! We also have a house just outside of Albuquerque...