Reload this Page >

Holiday Inn Express, Greenwich

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 08:52 AM
Margot

Has anyone stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Greenwich (London). Thanks for any feedback, Margot

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 09:00 AM
Lindsey

Hi Margot - I haven't stayed at the hotel, but I do know it's not actually in Greenwich (which would be a lovely place to stay when in London). The Holiday Inn is too close to the Blackwall Tunnel (a major road intersection and congestion nightmare) for me to recommend it as a place to stay, nor is it particularly convenient for public transport to any of the places you may want to visit during your trip. The hotel is in the strange hinterland of North Greenwich which was briefly popularised by the Millenium Dome, but is now firmly back in the doldrums. So unless it's super-cheap, I'd look elsewhere. Try a search on the board, there have been lots of budget recommendations for London accomodation recently.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 11:26 AM
janis

a couple of months ago there was a thread started by a woman who booked at this hotel for a business conference in London. If I recall correctly her firm had booked it for her and we all tried to get her to change the booking. There is nothing "wrong" with the hotel - but it is not in a convenient area, is not near anything you would want to visit, and for the same price you could stay in the center of London.<BR><BR>The Holiday Inn Express is there mainly for business travelers who want to be near London City Airport, Woolwich, Canary Wharf, etc.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 11:33 AM
Lori

Some one asked a similar question on Frommer's and I'll say what I said there. It's a little too far out to be considered handy for London sightseeing. If there is a real reason to stay there (i.e. visiting friends down the block or something) then OK go with it, otherwise find something actually in London. Even at a real bargain rate this hotel would be inconvenient for what most tourists come to London to do and that is sightseeing in central London.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 03:08 PM
Margot

Thank you for your feedback. The reason I asked is that Octopus Travel (affiliated with EasyJet) is offering a room with continental breakfast for 37 GBP which I thought was a terrific price.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 03:17 PM
Jane

Sometimes when prices seem to good to be true there is a reason, in this case I's suspect it is because the hotel is off the beaten path so to speak. As one poster said if you have a real reason to stay out there (visiting family/friends) then it would be Ok, otherwise, even for the price I'd go for something nearer the sights. By the way, it would have to be at least in Zone 2 that far in Greenwich. (Greenwich is very nice by the way, just not London).