Holiday Foods from Europe

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19th, 2005, 12:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, I've been making a buche de Noel for years. Little meringue mushrooms, marzipan holly leaves, etc. Now, I'm asked to bring them to friends' holiday parties. This year, my fiance wants stollen, he's from Dresden originally.
Feeling all festive and warm and cozy, I got to wondering from my cyber-Europe loving friends, what foods/traditions/favorites from other countries have you started adding to your menus for your festive meals?
Recipes wouldn't be to amiss either if you've time!
Old Dec 19th, 2005, 12:27 PM

Panforte from Tuscany, served with vino santo.

I don't think it's something that you would want to try to make youself - or at least I wouldn't!

igourmet.com has an excellent one from Corsini in Florence.
Old Dec 19th, 2005, 12:46 PM

I'm going to make champagne and oyster stew for Christmas dinner, along with a goose stuffed with figs and chestnuts (if I can find a goose with any flesh on it - what's with all the scrawny geese in the USA?).

As an aside, did you know that the bûche de Noël represents the huge log that is burned in the Périgord between Christmas Day and New Year's? It dates back to a pagan ceremony.
Old Dec 19th, 2005, 01:49 PM

After several trips to Italy and loving the panforte, I attempted to make it yesterday! I searched the web for recipes and also found one in the cookbook called "Finger Foods". I used the recipe I found at www.epicurious.com.

The trick (which I learned the hard way) is to not overbake. It is delicious though and takes me back to Siena...
Old Dec 19th, 2005, 02:27 PM

Pannetone from my student days in Florence. They're plentiful enough in one of the local upscale supermarkets here. I wouldn't attempt to make my own, because I really don't like using yeast all that much, and waiting for things to rise before baking.

BC
Old Dec 19th, 2005, 05:01 PM

Dear Suzie,

For several years now, we make classic Swiss cheese fondue for our Christmas Eve after church family dinner.

We're not Swiss, but somehow it seems very festive and fun.

SusanEva
Old Dec 19th, 2005, 05:07 PM

Williams-Sonoma makes a wonderful pannetone; they use glaceed chestnuts instead of dried fruits. It is delicious--and pricey--$32.
Old Dec 20th, 2005, 03:13 AM

Trifle is a staple from my mother.

Lady fingers soaked in Jello and fruit added, then a custard layer and then a fresh cream layer. You can use various alcohols in it but my mother always added sherry.

Delicious!
Old Dec 20th, 2005, 04:07 AM

Siobhan, trifle's not foreign! Well not to me, anyways...LOL
Old Dec 20th, 2005, 05:21 AM

I also make trifle--but Jello is not one of the ingredients. I assumed this was an English dish but when I was in England last spring I was told Christmas Pudding is favorite. It must be a steamed thing full of dried fruit?
Old Dec 20th, 2005, 05:36 AM

It’s hard to think of trifle as foreign and exotic (It is bloody nice though – no one does puds like the Brits. We’re a placid people but try and keep us from our puds and there’ll be trouble!)

Christmas pud is indeed a steamed suet pudding crammed full of dried fruit and lots and lots and lots of brandy. It’s really nice – very rich though.

You’ll be telling me that you don’t have mince pies next!
Old Dec 20th, 2005, 05:41 AM

Nini, they're both English desserts, but Christmas Pudding is eaten on Christmas Day, after the Turkey, whereas trifle can be eaten at any time of the year.

Christmas Pudding is, indeed, a steamed pudding made from various dried fruits. It's doused with brandy and set alight to the oohs and aahs of the dinner table. It's then dished up with cream/brandy butter/custard (tick according to preference). It's also tradition to put a coin inside which some lucky diner will be the lucky recipient of. This used to be 5p in my childhood, but inflation has ballooned this to £1. Also known as Plum Pudding, it dates back to about the 1500s. It's supposed to have 13 ingredients, to represent Jesus and his disciples.
Old Dec 20th, 2005, 06:15 AM

We always had Trifle Thanksgiving and Christmas but this was in America...that was foreign enough for me! No one else ate it in NJ.

It is an English Dessert but we seem to make it here in Ireland amongst the older generations. My partners mum makes a lesser verion than my mothers...I just like my mum's better.
Old Dec 20th, 2005, 06:27 AM

Stollen with good butter for breakfast! Also nice if you can make small individual ones.

Here in Belgian (from what I hear people ordering in the stores) Christmas dinner seems to consist mostly of foie gras (with brioche), lobster and/or game (venison mostly). Buche de Noel for dessert, or any of the wonderful pastries from the patisserie.

I've sometimes made trifle for Christmas dessert, but it's not a traditional Christmas thing.
Old Dec 20th, 2005, 08:43 AM

In Germany, we eat a lot of wild game.

For the main course, we will have deer steaks with a black currant sauce, chanterelles with sauce made of bacon, onions, cream and a little brandy, cranberries and home-made spaetzle.

The starter will be marinated salmon.

For dessert, we make bavarian creme (bavaroise), a vanilla creme, with raspberry purree.
Old Dec 20th, 2005, 08:43 AM

Having a Norweigan grandmother (99 yrs old, bless her) we have always had lutefisk on Christmas eve. But only her and her children eat it. The rest of us think it's foul and have Swedish meatballs instead! Oh and lefsa is always present.
I'm surprised I'm the first Scandanavian to post.