Search

Hogmanay...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11th, 2007, 06:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hogmanay...

We're heading to Edinburgh for New Year's - we've got our central accomodations near Princes Street all booked and now we need to decide which Hogmanay events to buy tickets for. We are in our mid thirties and want to see/do as much as possible and partake in the fun, but we're not looking for a wild stumbling drunken party.

Any advice on which events we should buy tickets to? The concert? street party? lantern lighting? Do we really need to purchase them this far out?

I saw on the website that there is party package you can buy that includes tickets to all the events (or nearly), is the evening actually set up so that you could reasonably go to everything?

Thanks!
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 07:26 PM

Hogmanay is one big wild drunken orgy. You will see 10-year-olds staggering around with bottles of Glenlivet. Watch some bloke take a slash on your Doc Martens. Add the terrible damp and you have a recipe for dreadful. Don't forget your rhinestone tiara and the keys to your hoooooooooos.

Give us a kiss, lad.
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 10:07 PM

As you are on Princes Street you get free entry to the street party - otherwise how would you get home for the night.

Yes you do have to book this far out and if you want to avoid drunken antipodeans then a) don't stay on Princes Street & b) book one of the more expensive events.

Can't see the point of the party packs as - unlike your belief - they are basically a street party ticket & a goody bag
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 10:08 PM

Just to check which hotel are you staying as there are a couple outside the street party cordon
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 10:09 PM

Ignore me - I read "near Princes Street" as "on Princes Street"
Old Oct 12th, 2007, 01:25 AM

I agree with Alan Row, that you should get your tickets asap.
Over the last few years tickets sold out reasonably quickly and were then either hard to obtain or were offered for sale through ebay at exorbitant prices.
The Torchlight Procession is good to watch and the latter part on Calton Hill can be fun.
The Night Afore Fiesta on George Street is usually the best night as it brings together peoples from around the world dancing to Scottish tunes in the street. It is a free event and well worth going to and getting involved in.
The Street Party will be crowded and unless you get to one or two of the music events you want to listen to it can be a lot of push and shove.
Better to consider the Concert in the Gardens- open air event directly below the Castle and will give you the whole atmosphere without the intense crowding.The only problem with that is that you will be paying for tickets and not know who will be performing, as that is still to be announced.
The Ceilidh in the Gardens is again an outdoor event and tickets can be expensive but you get the atmosphere but not the crowds.
The Hoog in the Assembly Rooms in George Street is an indoor Scottish Ceilidh dance and is probably the good event to go to but at £50 per ticket it is expensive if you do not want to get involved in Scottish dancing etc.
I would think that your best choice would be the Concert on the Gardens as you will get the atmosphere, the build up, the entertainment and miss mass crowds of Princes Street. You will also be directly below the castle when the fireworks go off there at midnight. Tickets went on sale as of the 6th December so I would think that you will have to decide very very soon.

Have a great time.
Old Oct 12th, 2007, 06:02 AM

I strongly urge you to take long underwear (silk or polypro) and many layers of clothing. Weather can vary wildly, but last time we were there, it was bitter, bitter cold. Everyone was pretty well full of antifreeze, though, and the party went on full ahead!