Search

History Major

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24th, 1999, 12:55 PM
Thomas

History Major

I am trying to find the best way for a history major to explore Italy and Greece as a graduation present in Summer of 2000. <BR>A prefixed tour might not seem to meet his needs. He is particularly interested in historical places that know longer exist, carthage, constantinople. The history of centuries ago. <BR> <BR>Thankyou, <BR> <BR>Thomas Mac Millan

Old Mar 24th, 1999, 06:58 PM
Al

I am perplexed by your problem. Constantinople certainly does exist, only today it is called Istanbul. The greatest number of Greek and Roman ruins in the world are in present-day Turkey. The list is almost endless, they are readily accessible (unlike so many in continental Europe which are out of bounds or behind velvet ropes), and many are in marvelous condition. Carthage was laid waste by Scipio but a lot of ruins still exist outside present-day Tunis, in Tunisia, N. Africa.

Old Mar 25th, 1999, 08:07 AM
michele

I agree with the pevious poster. Turkey is the place for lovers of ancient history. It is a fabulous country and one of the best trips I have ever taken. <BR> <BR>Sicily also has many Greek ruins, so you might consider a trip there.

Old Mar 26th, 1999, 12:09 AM
George Holt

I can't agree more with the above, as well as Italy and Greece a trip down Turkey's west coast will take in lots of Grecian, Hellenic and Roman ruins some in remarkable condition. <BR> <BR>Starting in Istanbul and working south... <BR> <BR>Modern Istanbul is ancient Constantinople / Byzantium and houses many fine Byzantine buildings. Troy is situated some distance south of modern day Canakkale on the Dardanelles. Pergamum is outside modern Bergama, it has a fine theatre and lots of restored buildings. Ephesus is near modern Kusadasi, it too has a fine theatre and ongoing restoration makes this site more interesting each visit. A little away from the coast there is a little knot of sites including Aphrodisias, Miletus and Didyma. Halicarnasus is on the outskirts of modern Bodrum. <BR> <BR>Turkey is also the centre of the Hitite culture. The Hitite sites of Hattusas and Yasilikaya are near Bogazkale ,east of Ankara. The museums in Istanbul (next to the Topkapi Palace) and Ankara house some of the best Hitite objects. <BR> <BR>Curiously its also worth visiting London, the British Museum houses a lot of the original statuary from Halicarnasus as well as Phrygian tombs and temples and of course the Elgin Marbles from the Acropolis in Athens. I'm told the Pergamum Museum in Berlin is also pretty spectacular for the classically inclined, though I've not been there myself.

Old Mar 27th, 1999, 09:27 AM
Ben Haines

<BR>Can you give more background ? People who have replied so far have assumed that the graduate wants to look at ancient Grteece and Rome. But your mention of Constantinople suggests that Byzantium, at least, is in question, and in those two countries one may be looking at medieval Christendom, the birth of the Renaissance, the start of science, great painters and architects, the freedom movements of the nineteenth century, or twentieth century forms of government. If you'll be good enough to tell us which (if any), then I'll be glad to comment. <BR> <BR>In general, I think that he will be happier self-steered than in a group tour, with good guide books (perhaps Blue Guides and Lonely Planet) and the Thomas Cook European Timetable. But I can say more if you tell us more. <BR> <BR>What a lucky young man. <BR> <BR>Ben Haines, MA (History), Cambridge, 1964. <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 28th, 1999, 08:10 PM
Denise

Don't forget Assos Turkey. It was founded in the 8th century BC. Aristotle lived there 348 BC. Among others Alex the Great and St Paul visited Assos. Apart from its history, its a beautiful place. Denise <BR>

Old Mar 30th, 1999, 03:12 PM
Thomas

Thankyou all for your replies. He has mentioned Istanbul in Turkey and is most interested in the start of the Roman empire. I believe that Turkey would be the place to start and work south, as was mentioned. This has helped so much. <BR>I can't say thankyou enough. <BR> <BR>Thomas

Old Apr 1st, 1999, 03:41 AM
c.p.

everyone told you all the places he can see, just a small note; Carthage is in SE of Spain and they have no ruins. Tunis has a lot of roman ruins and a few from Carthage. YOu best bet is Greece, Istambul(constantinopla), east coast of Turkey, and Egypt(Alexandria)

Old Apr 1st, 1999, 05:16 AM
Al

I wish to disagree with you, sir. Carthage WAS in North Africa, near present-day Tunis. Are you sure you are not confusing it with Cartagena? An entirely different city, which is indeed in Spain.