Hiking in Cassis

Old Jan 9th, 2009, 05:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hiking in Cassis

I have been reading about the beautiful scenery while hiking along the Calanques and would love to take a boat road for some of it and hike some as well. We will have 3 kids, ages 6-10 with us - are there areas that would be safe and appropriate for them to hike? If someone has a route which would cover a 1.5 - 2 hr hike, I would greatly appreciate it. I understand the trails can be difficult to reach by bus or car. Do the boats drop people off in places where one could start a hike or is it best to take a bus to a starting point? My family does have some experience hiking in mountainous areas. Thanks!
Old Jan 9th, 2009, 05:39 AM

Depending on the time of year you're there, the TI can tell you if the trails are open or closed for walking. During the summer they often close the walking trails due to fire risk. The TI has a phone # you can call each morning to see the hours of hiking opportunity.
Old Jan 9th, 2009, 05:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. We will be there the first week in June. I think they close the trails in either late June or early July from what I've read.
Old Jan 9th, 2009, 06:48 AM

> We will be there the first week in June. I think they close the trails in either late June or early July from what I've read.

I think you are right. So open/closed will not be a factor beginning of June. I have done hiking in the calanques departing Marseille and Cassis more than a few times in recent years, last times were Cassis > Port-Pin > En-Vau in September and October. I took each time different friends who had not done calanques before. They were ladies of 64, 50 and a man of 65 all resonably fit. All were very happy to have discovered the beauty of calanques, that made ME happy.

Anyway, arriving by boat would make the things a bit complicated because you will be at the very low water level and will have to climb up from there to the tops of Calanques. So it's not usually done. Simple and easy is you do it all on foot (there is no bus to help you for the calanques) starting at the port of Cassis, that's what I do always. To reach the farthest end of Port-Pin is about 1 hr to 1.5hrs one way from the center of Cassis. And I do recommend you continue, after Port-Pin, to En-Vau if time and other things permit. You say you have hiking experience so it won't be too hard. Take your picnic (buy bread, hams, vegies, fruits, water at one of the supermarkets in Cassis) and have lunch either on Port-Pin or on the small beach between Port-Pin and En-Vau. Also take a bathing suit so you can refresh in the water on that beach. It would be ideal if you can time it so you will return to Cassis in the early evening. The light is the best for the view then. You will walk with the sun on your back, Cal Canaille turned into red rock in front of you.

Go visit the tourist office by the Cassis port/beach. They will show you how to get to calanques on the free map they will give you.

The followings are the pics I took there in 2005, 2006, 2007 a bit mixed, also including some pics of Marseille but you will see.

http://picasaweb.google.ch/kappa3410...lleCassis2007#
http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...d%20calanques/

Old Jan 9th, 2009, 09:11 AM
Original Poster

Kappa - Wow, those photos are stunning! I think we have to make this hike part of our trip! Ok, a few more questions if you don't mind... Because I have 3 young kids, I like to have as much planned out as possible before traveling. From the port of Cassis, how far a walk is it to the start of Port-Pin? Are the trails marked well? (We certainly wouldn't want to be lost in a foreign country!) From what I've read, En-Vau does sound breath-taking. How long a hike would that be in addition to the 1.5 hrs. you said for Port-Pin? If we decided that the Port-Pin part of the trip was enough, would we just turn around, retracing our steps and go back, or can you take one of the boats from the shore there? Can you even get to the shore from there? Alternatively, if we wanted to enjoy a picnic and continue onto En-Vau, how would we get back to the Port of Cassis from the end of the En-Vau trail? One more thing- Do the trails go right along those beautiful cliffs or are they far enough away that my husband and I don't have to be nervous about our kids' safety? Sorry for all of the questions - It's part of being a Mom!

PS- Does Kappa refer to KKG?
Old Jan 9th, 2009, 11:18 AM

Hi Neal, what's kkg ???

You can get a online map of some kind so you know what we are talking about below. Maybe you already have one.

As I wrote above, go to the tourist office and get a map and info. However, you won't get lost as long as you pay usual attention. The routes are signed and basically you need to go along the coast whenever it's possible. Hard to get lost.

Above map with info by the tourist office says "3 calanques" (Port-Miou, Port-Pin and En-Vau) hiking circuit takes 4 - 6hrs depending on your pace for a return trip and that's departing from the tourist office. Port-Miou is the first and closest from the Cassis and if you really need to stick to 1,5/2hr hike (oneway you mean I hope), you can skip it as it is the "least" interesting of the 3, very flat, and go direct to Port-Pin. Then you can cut 1 hour. If you are happy only with Port-Pin, the time can be as short as 3 hours for the return trip. Add stops and it would take roughly 4 (not rushed) hrs only with Port-Pin. The view while walking is great most of the way.

How to return to Port of Cassis? There is no boat transfer readily available so forget it. Return the way you come from, on foot, either from Port-Pin or from En-Vau. That's the good thing about the Calanques. They have not made it too easy for visitors yet so those sites are still free of crowds (unlike some very commercialized e.g. Swiss hiking trails. They still are beautiful though ;-) )

If you have time to continue on to En-Vau, from the small beach I mentioned above (that's actually the beach of Port-Pin), you can go up the litoral/coastal route to En-Vau and from the end of En-Vau, take the inland route down. I prefer both way by litoral but the inland route seems a bit easier especially when you are tired. Ask this at the T.Info, they will know what you mean. Unlike the beach of Port-Pin, the path to the beach of En-Vau is extremely steep so I wouldn't recommed you here to get down there. Most people who do the beach of En-Vau (many locals who own boat) will come by boat and will leave by boat without doing hiking.

Saftey : Kids are 6 - 10. Maybe the calanque and the beach of Port-Pin is enough. Hard to say. As long as your kids stay on the trail, it's not dangerous basically. And En-Vau is one of the most beautiful as they say... I also understand your point of view of a Mom.

Typo on my last post:
Cal Canaille > Cap Canaille
Old Jan 9th, 2009, 01:26 PM
Original Poster

Hi Kappa - Thanks for the help. At least right now, we will plan to hike the Port-Pin and then go to the beach at the end of the trail. If the kids are up for it, we'll continue, but even if we just hike here, I think we'd get a flavor for the area. We could then walk back to the port and have a nice dinner either in Cassis or Marseille. Any water view restaurants-family oriented with quality food - you could recommend? Another question: How will we "skip Port-Miou from the Port of Cassis?" Do both trails, the Port-Mio and the Port-Pin originate at the Cassis port?

In your opinion, what is the best way to get from Marseilles to Cassis - Bus, taxi? Thanks Kappa!

PS- I thought maybe Kappa was a reference to the Kappa Kappa Gamma Sorority.
Old Jan 11th, 2009, 05:02 AM

Neal623 - I'm glad you posted this question. We're planning a trip to the south of France for October 2009, spending a day or two in the Marseille/Cassis area. It might be fun to hike the Calanques, if the weather is nice.

"In your opinion, what is the best way to get from Marseilles to Cassis - Bus, taxi?"

There is a train that runs from the Marseille-St Charles station to Cassis, which takes about 25 minutes. Check here for schedules:

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

The Cassis station is about 3.5km from the town center, but there is bus service available. This information is from the Cassis Tourist Info web site:

www.ot-cassis.com/us/venir/acces/

Here's info on the bus routes for Marseille - Cassis:

www.ot-cassis.com/us/venir/acces/index1.php

I hope you post a report after your trip. I'd like to hear how your hike went.

Robyn >-

Old Jan 11th, 2009, 05:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Robyn. I will look at that website. I have been trying to find an online hiking map of the Calanques, but have been unsuccessful. If you or anyone else knows how to obtain one online (or even a book that I could purchase prior to the trip that would have a good hiking map in it), let me know. Thanks!
Old Jan 12th, 2009, 12:34 PM

I have this map.

http://www.amazon.fr/Carte-randonn%C.../dp/B00005QP0E

but I bought it only after a few hikings in Calanques. It's not I needed it for actual walk but I wanted to learn things in details after some experiences. Really from Cassis to Port-Pin, En-Vau, you will not get lost.

How to get from Marseille to Cassis. The first time, I did a day trip about 5 years ago from Marseille by train to Cassis. The down side is as Robyn wrote above the station was away from the center of Cassis - the port. There was really nothing around the station except for the vineyards (for famous local cassis wine) and the shuttle bus service was scarce. I don't remember if it was because it was weenend or not but it seemed I would have had to wait for 1 or 2 hours, so I chose to walk, it seemed to me like 2 km or so, it wasn't a bad walk next to vineyard, but still long and hot in May. Fortunately it was a day trip so I had only one backpack. And maybe the bus was not running after certain hours at night. I don't remember but I walked again the way back to the station.

2nd time, I found there is a bus line that ran Marseille to Cassis in about 30/40 minutes. Since then I always use the bus because :
1. The bus arrives directly in the center of Cassis town (3 minute walk to the port). The stop is " Cassis Gendarmerie "
2. The view from the bus is much better than the train. Some spectacular view of Marseille Port and Cassis/Cap Canaille. The train runs behid all those things and I remember no memorable view.
3. The ticket costs like €2.50 vs €4.50 for the train.

The bus leaves Castellane - Prado Square. That's not a city bus but motor-coach type that has lagguage compartment under the coach. Better view on the right side. One disadvantage vs the train is it leaves like only every hour, some times one in 2 hours but it depends on your planning. The train might run at least every hour or maybe 1/2 hr. Also the return bus from Cassis to Marseille, the last one is early, either 17:00 or 18:00 (maybe 19:00 some season). The bus time table is on one of the URL Robyn posted. It says Bus "La Marcouline" and download pdf. The bus/route I recommend is Via Gineste. Gineste is the name of the pass that the bus cross over. Due to this the view is good.

As to how to "skip Port-Miou", easy, if you see even a basic map you will see what I'm talking about. It's indicated once you get there too.
Old Jan 13th, 2009, 09:00 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Robyn and Kappa for your very informative posts. My husband was somewhat reluctant to hike in Europe with kids - just a little too "foreign" for his comfort level in case we ran into problems. I felt the same way until you gave us so much info. After showing him your photos and basically having the whole day mapped out - down to which side of the bus we should sit on to obtain the best view (I love that kind of advice!) - he is ready for the adventure! We are actually going to be on a cruise ship with a 12 hr. stop in Marseilles, so I think this will fill our time perfectly. (None of the ship's excursions seemed this interesting!)

BTW, before I asked you about finding a map of the hiking trails in Cassis, I tried "Googling" the term "Calanques hiking map" and one of the entries, believe it or not, is this thread on Fodors! We thought that was very amusing. Well, we're not headed to Cassis until June, but I will let you know how the trip goes when we return. If I have additional questions, I'll ask them on this thread. Thanks again!
Old Jan 13th, 2009, 05:20 PM

Thank you, kappa1, for the additional information. Have a nice day.

Robyn >-
Old Jan 28th, 2009, 08:43 AM

Hey there. i have been reading up on this conversation and i have got a couple questions. I want to hike the calanques all the way from Cassis to Marseilles. I am not sure if this is possible. Is camping allowed (if not, is the rule enforced). also do you think it is possible for an average hiker and a few friends to make the journey in 4 days or less? also are there places along the way to restock on food, or find transportation back to one of the cities?

thanks a million. I am planning on doing this hike the first week of march. the weather should be good by then
Old Jan 30th, 2009, 04:08 AM

I could give answer to caleb's questions only partially becasue I have not done the walk from Marseille through to Cassis along the calanque coast. Only done different calanques separately as a day excursion departing from Cassis and from Marseille.

I understand this Marseille - Cassis walk (20 km) takes about 12 hours so it's even possible to do it in a day but most people seem to do it over 2 days. I have seen at a few occasions, people camping so it's possible I think but better to check with local tourist offices (Marseille or Cassis) in case there is any restriction (seasonal?). Food supply? No, once you have started your walk. Take all what you need with you.
Old Jan 30th, 2009, 08:34 AM

thanks kappa,
i am thinking of going from cassis to marseilles. You think 2 days 1 night is enough time to get it all done if we hike leisurely and check out all the scenes? and also it seem like fire is a big no no. is this true?
Old Jan 30th, 2009, 02:31 PM

The calanques are my favorite part of the Marseille-Cassis area, whether by boat (from Marseille or Cassis, but much closer from Cassis) or hiking. One cautionary note: some of the trails are very "cailloux" that is pebbly, as in ball bearing treacherous. The limestone rock itself can be very polished and slippery. If it has rained recently, I would not want to be hiking in the calanques. A walk I like is reachable by bus from Marseille: the Soumiou calanque. Walking to the fishing village of Soumiou would take longer than you have in mind, but you can walk on a dirt road and then a trail up above the village (about an hour) and have spectacular panoramic views of the coastline. You might try contacting Marseille tourist information; I have found them to be very helpful. On the other, north, side of Marseille is another calanque area:l'Estaque. Perhaps not as spectacular or as wild, but accessible by train and a nice series of villages and calanques.
Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 10:52 AM

A few questions, if you all don't mind...
(1) So the bus from Marseille is located at Castellane/Prado station? How far is that from the cruise port? How would you recommend getting there from the cruise port?
(2) Via Geneste seems to be the recommended route to Cassis. Is there a route number? On the Office of tourism's website, there seems to be two routes listed, 68 and 72.. then the Via Geneste.
(3) Cassis port stop via bus is called Cassis Gendarmerie, correct?
(4) Lastly, if we were to try to accomplish this on our own, speaking NO FRENCH, would it be difficult to travel in France? Buy boat tickets to see calanques?

Thanks so much..
Old Feb 4th, 2009, 07:10 AM

Here's what we did from Marseille:

Wanting to hike to Calanque Morgiou, we asked the TI how to drive to the parking area. They have a great map there and can give directions. We needed it. You drive east along the coast, towards Stade Velodrome. Rond Point is on the signs then follow the signs to Limouz. This is the location of the parking lot, or street parking for the hike into the Calanques. A bus also makes this trip, I think Bus 21.

It’s a pretty, but long hike just to the start of the hike to Morgiou. It was 33C again. Very hot in the sun. We decided upon arriving, that the hike down to Morgiou or Sugiton was going to take a very long time. Instead we hiked to the viewpoint. This was still at least 45 minutes or a hour one way with spectacular views! We were thrilled with the views and it turned out to be the right choice for us. Others were walking, even one couple pushing a stroller, down the very, very long downhill walkway to a calanque. It would be a long, steep walk back up. I’m not sure which calanque was which. If anyone here knows, I’d love to get it clarified, since one day we may try again, but when it’s cooler. Is the uphill path on the right to Morgiou and the long downhill path to Sugiton?

Since we didn’t spend the afternoon at a calanque, we drove to Cassis. We’ve been here before. We checked the TI about hiking the Cassis calanques, and it was limited to hiking between 6 – 11 a.m. The fire hazard was to high. They have a phone number to call for current conditions. These hikes are probably better done in October
Old Aug 13th, 2013, 05:01 AM

bookmarking