Hike from Schwarzsee to Hornlihut

May 13th, 2007, 06:28 AM
Original Poster

Hike from Schwarzsee to Hornlihut

Has anyone hiked from Schwarzsee to the Hornlihut while visiting Zermatt? If so, how demanding of a hike is it? Should we even consider doing this with our kids (ages 11,13 and 14)? How long should we allow? Should we stay overnight in the hut?

Of course we would cable car to the Schwarzsee (done this many times in the past) early in the morning to get a good start. I've done some internet research, but am still not sure this is advisible with kids. I'd love to be able to hear a first hand account from a family who has done this hike.

I'd appreciate any comments on the subject. Thanks!
May 13th, 2007, 07:03 AM

It's been several years since I've done it, but I used to do it every time I went. I would hike, then take the cable car to Schwarzee, then hike the rest of the way. It's all on trails, and not too steep or anything. Trails can sometimes be a bit narrow (a problem when you're passing people coming the other way). Not sure with young kids, never did it. We would go up and down in one day, didn't stay overnight. Might be a bit "dangerous" if your kids are wild and go ahead of you....but maybe if they stay right along with you, it might be ok. Sorry I can't be of more help about the kids...but it's a great hike. Will be doing it in June again...yay!

T.
May 13th, 2007, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

T - Thanks for the reply. Our kids are quite reserved (most of the time) and would certainly not get ahead. It may be a bit of a stretch to talk them into it in the first place!

We arrive June 30 for a few days. What weather should we plan for at that time of year at the Hornlihut? I know that I can wear shorts and a fleece shirt at the Schwarzsee , but the Klien Matterhorn I need pants and a coat! Will the Hornlihut be like the Klien Matterhorn?

Thanks again for the help.
May 13th, 2007, 09:22 AM

I do remember wearing a sweatshirt up there...drinking hot chocolate! It's rare, but you may run across some snow patches as well...on the trail. I only ran across that once. I believe I was there in early July.

T.
May 13th, 2007, 06:31 PM
Original Poster

I did a little more digging and found this report (with pictures) describing the hike to the Hornlihut that scares me a bit.

The author (who appears to be an experienced and fit hiker) had to turn around after 2 hours. It seems he was concerned for his life!

Now I am REALLY not sure I want to risk anyones' life, let alone my 13 year old son!! At least not until I hear from another family who can has done this with kids!!!

http://www.bartosik.org/scrapbook/sw...nd/zermatt.htm

May 16th, 2007, 03:38 PM
Original Poster

ttt
May 16th, 2007, 04:26 PM

Jazzdrew!

It wasn't poor fitness but a skinful of alcohol that made him turn back.

And that should read 'Kleinmatterhorn'.

H.
May 16th, 2007, 05:28 PM

Also, he was facing deteriorating weather conditions, and was not well-equipped. And was walking alone.

Here is what one of my hiking books (Walking Switzerland the Swiss Way) says about the hike to Hornlihütte:

"The trail is well marked and clearly visible and gets a lot of traffic. Ascend a long, rock ridge, with numerous zigzags and one final, steep section. Metal stairs and platforms have been installed over a few eroded, exposed places. In good weather the route is not difficult; in snow however, there are sections that require caution."

But after seeing the photos of the stairs and cables on that website, I'm not sure I would take children up there.

There are so many hikes offered at Zermatt---perhaps you could find another that captures your imagination as well? I haven't been there yet myself (we will be there shortly after you), so I don't have any personal recommendations. But I'm interested in the discussion, so I hope it continues.

May 17th, 2007, 03:29 AM

I've never done this route but many like it in my area with my children (who are even younger).

I find that my kids are much more physically fit than I am and are aware they need to concentrate on these paths.

After reading about other Swiss families who have taken this path, I think it should be fine for your kids. Make sure you all have sturdy shoes, plenty of water, a rain/wind coat and some snacks. Take a map with you and inform yourself about the weather before you go.

If we go to Zermatt this summer, I will plan on doing this trail with my kids too!
May 17th, 2007, 05:21 PM
Original Poster

Greta advise from everyone. The more I think about it, our issue is more likely to be from the over-protective Moms and Dads on the trip! I think we'll give it a try, avoid the alchol, wear appropriate shoes and hope for the best

May 17th, 2007, 05:50 PM

And keep an eye on the weather!
May 17th, 2007, 11:54 PM

Absolutely. Don't go if:
- the forecast has rain, snow or fog
- there are heavy winds

We hiked up to Frohnalpstock in Stoos last Sunday with the kids. It was basically a path taking us through lush alpine pastures. We had wanted to take the chairlift up but it was not running due to heavy winds.

The trail was not along steep slopes or drop offs so we weren't in danger, otherwise we wouldn't have gone. Those winds can really push you around.
May 30th, 2007, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

ttt