Search

Hiking from Wengen to Lauterbrunnen to Trummelbach Falls

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26th, 2010, 01:39 PM
yk
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hiking from Wengen to Lauterbrunnen to Trummelbach Falls

Bernese Oberland experts, I need your help again.

We are spending a few days in Interlaken (I know, I know...). One of the days, my travel companions will do the Jungfraujoch trip. I'm not going as I was there a few years ago and don't see the need to return so soon.

So, on my own, I'm thinking of taking the train up to Wengen, wander around a bit, then hike down (DOWN, right?) to Lauterbrunnen, and then to Trummelbach Falls. Then walk back to Lauterbrunnen and take the train back to Interlaken.

Do you think this is reasonable/doable? I checked the distances, and it's about 6 miles total. I'm in decent physical shape (walk/jog 5-6 miles 5x/week, flat surface). Here are a few questions:

1. We're going in mid-Sept, so I expect there will be plenty of people along the paths? Since I'll be on my own, in case I need help/assistance, I don't want to end up spending the night on the mountains ( )

2. If you have a choice, would you do this on a weekend or weekday? (We'll be in the area Fri-Mon.) Obviously, I'll go on a clear weather day so my travel companions get the best weather on Jungfrau.

3. How are the paths? Is it okay if I wear my running sneakers? How steep is the section between Wengen and Lauterbrunnen? Are the paths well marked?

4. Finally, since the 4 of us will be traveling with a Swiss Saver Pass, will there be a problem if we get on the same train at Interlaken Ost, but I get off at Wengen (while they continue on to Kleine-Scheidegg)? Obviously, I'll buy a single one-way ticket from Lauterbrunnen back to Interlaken.

Since I've never hiked in the BO, I apologize in advance if my questions sound stupid or ridiculous. I just want to have a clearer idea before I set off doing this alone. Thanks!
Old Aug 26th, 2010, 04:09 PM

Hello again yk

Interesting walk you've listed here, one that I've never done myself but you've piqued my interest. Might have to give this one a shot when we're there in a few weeks.

Just doing a quick google search, I came upon this youtube slide show of the walk. Granted, it was done in April when snow was on the trail, but you can get a pretty good idea of what's in store. Doesn't look to have lots of mountain views, mostly in the trees.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f81ag_Wf91E

As far as shoes, many folks here will recommend hiking shoes. But I've always just taken my New Balance trail walkers, and they work fine for me. Have a good thick tread.

Weekend/weekday preference? Definitely more people out on the weekends, esp. if the weather is good. But I think with the length/steepness of this particular trail, it would probably be fine any day.

When will you be in the BO? We'll be there from 9/11-18.

Happy travels!
Old Aug 27th, 2010, 01:20 AM

In general I'd say it is not one of my favourite hikes in the area. Yes, it is steep but in serpentines, so should be ok for the knees. In fact, I hiked down some years ago from Kleine Scheidegg via Wengen to Lauterbrunnen. ;-) Sneakers are fine. The trail is well marked.

You'll not see many hikers on that trail between Wengen and Lauterbrunnen, but a few and so no need for safety concerns. Weekday or weekend doesn't really make a difference.

No problem with rail passes getting off the train in Wengen for you.

I.
Old Aug 27th, 2010, 02:43 AM

YK, to see the Trummelbach falls you have to buy a ticket and take an elevator to the top, after that take the (200?) stairs back to see/experience it all, if I remember correctly. Add a little more time to your plans to hang out at the falls, don't miss it.

There was something like a small cafe if you need food, drinks, rest - is it still there? I hope so.
Old Aug 27th, 2010, 04:07 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I haven't actually done it, but it is maybe one hour down based on the signs which begin right outside the hotel we stay in there. Sneakers should be fine in September but the gravel can get slippery so I usually wear hiking boots. I don't love downhill hikes as they bother my knees, but I just take them slow.

Enjoy Wengen!

gruezi
Old Aug 27th, 2010, 06:26 PM

I did this hike last year. Sneakers are fine - trail runners would be better, though. I think I remember part of the trail being gravel. It is kind of steep with switchbacks and you have to look out for mountain bikers swooshing past you. My knees did hurt a little bit because of the decline but I still enjoyed it. You definitely sound fit so I'm sure you can do it! We were there in mid September last year and it was fun to walk past the neighborhoods and see the espaliered pear trees in gardens. Don't forget to bring your camera!!
Old Aug 27th, 2010, 06:35 PM

Yup it is a steep downhill walk or really hike - and going downhill can be as strenuous as going up IMO as braking going down such steep inclines is as fatiguing as climbing IME

So if looking for an arduous hike, this is it.
Old Sep 2nd, 2010, 11:08 AM

I think you'd be just fine. I didn't do the hike from Wengen to Lauterbrunnen, just the train, but it didn't seem too bad. One caveat - Trummelbach Falls only takes cash - no credit cards - so make sure you have enough cash to cover that along with any food you might want. I believe it was 11CHF for an adult fare.

A really pretty hike that isn't strenuous at all would be from Mannlichen lift (accessed from Wengen - up to the top) and then over to Kleine Scheidegg.

I was going to hike from Kleine Scheidegg to Wengen but it was a tad warm and I had forgotten to put sunscreen on my arms. I opted for one or two stops before Wengen and then walked the remaining 45 minutes down into Wengen.

Trummelbach Falls is (almost) more impressive for what you feel than what you see. When you are near the top - just stand there with your eyes closed and feel the power.

Another hike we really enjoyed was from Schynige Platte. It's a few hours for the circuit, if that (also stopping to take loads of photos) and near the entrance is a fantastic garden - all Alpine flowers from all altitudes. They even have Edelweiss growing there.