high or low season

Search

high or low season

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13th, 2004, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
high or low season

My husband and I are planning a trip to Italy around March 17, 2005 for about 12 days. Is this considered high or low season as far as expensive goes? All of the tours I have checked seem to skip a few weeks in the middle of March. By the way, Easter is th 27th.

Old Jun 13th, 2004, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

sorry, I have been trying to put this in an Italy category but it just isn't happening.
Old Jun 13th, 2004, 11:52 AM

Almost every hotel and agriturismo in Italy considers the Easter weekend high season. Many of the hotel listings I have been looking at recently have only two seasons: high and low. And low seems to have been reduced by many to go only from November to February, with the Christmas and New Year's period again counting as high.
Old Jun 13th, 2004, 11:53 AM

We were in Italy last year from March 17th through the end of March. It was little early for "the season" and as a result we got good rates and most places were available. We had a lovely room at Pensione Academe in Venice, Castel Beggozi all to ourself in Tuscany for 3 or 4 nights, etc. and the crowds were down. We loved being there during that time of year.
Old Jun 13th, 2004, 01:57 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
There isn't really any Italy category only Europe.
Old Jun 13th, 2004, 05:39 PM
Ivy

there isn't an "italy" category, it's all just europe. Other than Easter March is the LOW season. I have travlled alot in march, it's one of my favorite months to travle because it is so uncrowded and you can get good airfare deals. Easter though is usually very high season in terms of crowds and expense.
Old Jun 13th, 2004, 07:40 PM
rex

Actually, you DO have it in "the Italy category", to the extent that it exists(in the very thinnest sense of the word). If someone "filters out" (clicks on) the "Italy threads" (only) - - yours is one of them.

Still, Fodors recommends (if you click "HELP" in those tiny little red letters - - see http://www.fodors.com/forums/faqs.cfm#Q6 in particular) - - that you mention your destination in the message header. Thus, you got it "in the right category" - - but

&lt;&lt; high or low season <i>in Italy</i> &gt;&gt;

would have been an improvement, would have improved your chances of connecting with others interested in Italy, and would be more considerate to all visiting here (since they would have a better idea what your post is about, without having to click on it to see).

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Jun 13th, 2004, 10:57 PM

Generally speaking, during &quot;low&quot; season you'll have more favorable air fares, hotel rates, fewer crowds, but the least favorable weather. During &quot;high&quot; season, you'll pay the highest prices and everywhere will be mobbed with tourists.

Then, there's &quot;shoulder season&quot; when it's not so crowded, the prices are in-between, the weather is in-between too, but the scenery is still nice (with leaves on the trees and flowers all about).
Old Jun 13th, 2004, 11:05 PM

Hello, the truth is the matter is it's dependent upon the business. While you may be charged rates for high season (being it's Easter), you may get a break for an extended stay. Good luck!

- Jonathan
Old Jun 14th, 2004, 03:24 AM

One of the reasons we decided on early October was that we were told that this time of year was considered shoulder season and the rates would be a little lower. As it turns out prices will ALSO depend on WHERE in Italy you are going and some proprieters (sp?) make up there own rules as to low, mid, high.

For instance the hotel we are staying in for the Rome portion of our trip considers October to be in the higher season for rates. I found that most of the hotels in Rome fall in this category.

However, the villa we are renting in the Cortona Area is considered at the lower end of the price range, supposedly low to mid season. For this season and I found all but one owner considering this the lower season. I contacted the owner of the one property that was showing the higher season prices and was told that owners can consider their property in whatever &quot;seasonal group&quot; they want.

When I told my boss I wanted to take my vacation in October, I had based this date on so many people telling me this was a lower cost time to go and so far only the villa has been lower priced. Airfare, which we were told would be less, SO FAR has NOT been.

So from MY experience so far, be prepared to pay from &quot;low season&quot; for some parts of your trip to &quot;high season&quot; for other parts depending on where you go and to whom you speak.

Old Jun 14th, 2004, 03:58 AM
rex

Not entirely relevant to the original question but at least partially) - - I will stand by any previous predictions I have made, PLMN, about lower airfares being available in October, for travel originating <i>after</i> October 15.

If you have been disappoited by the fares you have seen so far, I think that your odds remain good (based on previous years' watching) that fares in the second half October will go on sale again at least one before Labor Day (Monday, Sep 6 in the US, for those who don't know the date of this US calendar milestone).

And for &quot;damama&quot;, I think your chances of getting some of the &quot;lowest of the low&quot; trans-atlantic air fares - - for March 17-29 - - are excellent, regardless of when Easter falls.
Old Jun 14th, 2004, 04:20 AM

Morning rex!

Sorry if this is a really dumb question, but do the airlines factor in the departure date being in one season and the return date in another season?

Another words, if we depart the US BEFORE October 15th when the prices are higher, but we plan to return AFTER October 15th, say on the 16th will the price of the ticket reflect this magic after date?

Does this question even make sense? I really am sorry if this is a silly question, but I really am curious.