Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Italy during Holy Week (Mar 08) - good idea or wait until May? Spring Break crowds?

Search

Italy during Holy Week (Mar 08) - good idea or wait until May? Spring Break crowds?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28th, 2007, 05:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have been planning to take our DD on a trip to Italy for her 15th b-day. The original date was (and still is) the last week of May and the first two of June but now we are looking into her Spring Break as a good alternative.

She would have the entire Holy Week (Mar 16-23) and the following week off from school. She could miss a few days on top of that if we plan it with the teachers.

I would avoid being in Rome during the biggest days and would opt to drive around Tuscany or maybe hike in Cinque Terre. I am still planning but a combination of Maitaitom's Tuscan Tour and Stu's drive would be good options for us.

From crowd perspecitve, would this be a good move? Weatherwise, I'm also wondering... I have never been to Italy in early Spring!

Would the amount of spring breakers be a problem? Would it be as crowded as July/August?

Thoughts, comments, input?

Thanks!
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 05:54 AM

March is iffy weatherwise; might not be the best time to visit the Cinque Terre. Holy Week/Spring Break is always more crowded, even in Tuscany and Umbria, but probably less crowded than the summer months.
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks!

I'm just trying to figure out if the March/April timeframe is better than the May/June period.... aside from the fact that the trip will happen sooner
Old Jun 29th, 2007, 02:53 AM
Original Poster

Anyone else?
Old Jun 29th, 2007, 04:14 AM

(I'm trying to edit this, so if it posts twice, I apologize in advance.)

Hello marigross,

For the past 2 years, we've spent March in Italy.

There are crowds everywhere anymore, it seems, unless you travel in the way off season, like January perhaps (read the current thread about Italy being full, lol!)

However, it did not discourage us or prevent us from enjoying Italy to the fullest.

For us, March is best weather-wise. I'd much rather put on a jacket and scarf than be too warm. There may be rainy days, but isn't that why you have an umbrella or waterproof jacket? Don't let that dissuade you.

Does your hotel/apartment have air conditioning for June? Maybe it's not a problem for you, but even in March it was very warm in Venice.

We were in Rome on Palm Sunday, did not attend the service but went to the castle and viewed what we could from the terrace. Wow, it's amazing to see the whole square at St. Peter's packed with people, just like you see in pictures.

We attended Easter mass at St. Mark's Basilica in Venice. Can you imagine the beauty? Now mind you, I am not a Catholic, but this was still a magical ceremony. The entire church was aglow with lights (something rare for this basilica), the golden altar was turned around for all to see, the cardinal delivering his homily (they handed out translations in several languages), and all the priests, etc. dressed in their ceremonial robes. It was quite moving.

Old Jun 29th, 2007, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

Hi Kopp!

We still don't have reservations of any kind. We don't mind the heat in most occassions (with the notable exception of Panorama Cars in the Glacier Express in July - talk about greenhouse effect!).

Since we live in Puerto Rico being a bit on the cool side would almost be a plus for the difference factor.

BTW, the first time I walked into St Marks in Venice they were setting up for a photoshoot and suddenly the entire ceiling was illuminated. Took my breath away!