Reload this Page >

High End Restaurant Suggestions for France

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 09:26 AM
Dawn

Hello - <BR><BR>I will be going on my honeymoon in France next September and I am looking for a couple of high end restaurant suggestions. The cities/towns in which we will be staying are the following, and therefore, suggestions in any of these places would be appreciated:<BR><BR>St. Paul de Vence <BR>St. Tropez<BR>St. Remy in Provence<BR>The Chateau d'Artigny in the Loire Valley<BR>Paris<BR><BR>Thanks

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 09:32 AM
Ira

Hi Dawn,<BR><BR> Have you looked in the Guide Michelin?

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 09:34 AM
Ryan

In Paris, you can't do much better than Taillevent. There may be better places for haute cuisine, such as Alain Ducasse. However, the combination of food, service and ambiance add up an incredible experience. The staff is exceptionally nice and they seem to treat every patron as a regular. It's a great place for a decadent 2 or 3 hour lunch.<BR><BR>In terms of view, you won't beat Jules Verne in the Eiffel Tower. While we prefer the overall experience of Taillevent, the view at JV makes it worth it, at least once.<BR> <BR><BR><BR><BR>

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 09:35 AM
richard j vicek

Good afternoon, Dawn<BR><BR>Can only recommend the JULES VERNE,<BR>in Paris, for dinner but at least lunch.<BR>Reserve far ahead.<BR>Richard of LaGrange Park, Il..<BR>

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 09:51 AM
Judy

We really enjoyed La Colombed'Or in St Paul de Vence and Taillevent in Paris. While staying in St. Paul de Vence we drove down to Antibes and had wonderful bouillabaisse at Restaurant de Bacon. In the Loire Valley we stayed at Domaine des Hauts de Loire in Onzain and they have a magnificent restaurant. E-mail if you want details.

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 10:23 AM
oldorch

hi dawn<BR>i would strongly suggest le grand vefour. it is well worth it!! <BR>

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 10:40 AM
oldorch

le grand vefour is in paris....sorry for the omission

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 11:58 AM
Wendy

Had dinner at Taillevant last January and was blown away! Amazing food, service, ambiance, everything. I would absolutely recommend making reservations here (well in advance!)

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 12:50 PM
Shannon

All of Judy's recommendations are great. For Colombe D'Or, get a patio table, weather permitting. Food is yummy, atmosphere -- ahhh!

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 01:13 PM
David

When you pin it down to where you want to dine, I’d try to make a reservation as soon as possible. In your initial request ask them when they will take bookings for when you want to go if they won’t take them as early as you try.<BR><BR>I went to the Jules Verne in the Eiffel Tower in late April of 2001. I made my reservations 5 months in advance via fax. I had to have my local hotel address to make a reservation. I don’t know if you can give them a hotel you’re planning on using or not. I’m glad I booked early. People have posted here that they’ve tried to book a couple of months in advance and can’t get reservations. I’m sure it all depends upon time of year and a lot of other factors.

Old Nov 28th, 2002, 04:57 AM
Laurie

Dawn- While you're in St. Paul (are you staying at the Colombe D'Or?) if you have a car, Mougins has some great restaurants, the most famous being Mougins de Mougins. There's also a great restaurant in the beautiful town of Eze.

Old Nov 28th, 2002, 08:15 AM
PB

Dawn,<BR><BR>While in St Remy, I'd suggest taking a ten/fifteen minute drive across the Alpilles to :<BR><BR>La Petite France in Maussane-les-Alpilles, the Bistrot d'Eygalieres (Bru) or the Riboto de Taven in Les Baux. <BR><BR>Riboto de Taven<BR>In the Val d'Enfer, just below the village of Les Baux. An excellent Michelin one star restaurant for thirty-five years, they've turned in their star and are no longer serving a varied menu. They've become a country inn and serve a dinner with a set menu . Call in advance to see what they're serving - and if they have room. The menu changes with the seasons, but always includes regional dishes. Beautiful garden and terrace with a view of the village of Les Baux. Dining on the terrace in the summer months, otherwise indoors in what was once the bergerie (sheepfold).<BR>Dress - Dressy casual, although no ties required for men.<BR>Tel: 04 90 54 34 23<BR><BR>* Petite France <BR>Michelin one star restaurant, just outside Maussane near Le Paradou in a renovated farmhouse. Excellent food, good service. One of the best wine lists in France.<BR>Personal favorites are the raviolis with green olives, sage and ricotta and the breast of duck.<BR>Dressy casual. Reservations recommended Closed Wednesday<BR>55, avenue de la Vallee des Baux Tel: 04 90 54 41 91<BR><BR>* Bistrot d'Eygali&egrave;res<BR>Michelin one star. Charming restaurant in the center of this tiny village. Owners/chef are Belgian, trained at the Baumani&egrave;re in the 'good old days'. Inventive cuisine, fairly good wine list. In the summer, tables are set outside on the sidewalk for outdoor dining.<BR>Reservations recommended in season and on weekends.<BR>rue Republique Tel: 04 90 90 60 34<BR><BR>PB (in Maussane)

Old Nov 28th, 2002, 11:02 AM
mimi taylor

I'll second PB's choices. The Bistro of Egalieres has opened a smaller place and less expensive but very good called Petite Bru around the corner almost.<BR>L'Ousteau de Baumaniere in Les Baux is excellant.<BR>Le regalido in Fontveille.<BR>I forgot to mention in Les Baux, La Riboto de Taven. I wish you a fantastic honeymoon. wish I could have had one like that.

Old Nov 28th, 2002, 12:00 PM
Brian

I agree with Laurie about Mougin-a great fortress city that's alot less touristy than St Pual deVence. But the famous restaurant is Moulin de Mougins. The chef Roger Verge is one of France's most well-known chefs and the experience at the restaurant will be unforgetable.

Old Nov 28th, 2002, 12:05 PM
OO

Fully agree about le Moulin de Mougins.<BR>Spend the night there, if possible. It's a Relais&amp;Chateaux property.<BR><BR>http://www.relaischateaux.com/site/u...RcCode=mougins

Old Nov 28th, 2002, 12:12 PM
Ian

Dawn<BR><BR>In the Loire area (both east along the Cher from Tours)<BR><BR>T&ecirc;te Noire - Montrichard - great affordable food - country French rather than gourmet<BR><BR>Chateau Chissay - Chissay-en-Touraine - Very good restaurant in an old chateau (we stayed here too) - gourmand style<BR><BR>Paris<BR><BR>Taillevent (as mentioned above) for over-the-top service &amp; food. Worthy of its 3 Stars.<BR><BR>Jules Vernes - for the view as much as the food (which is vg too)<BR><BR>Les Ambassadeurs - Hotel Crillon - exquisite food &amp; service in a stunning room (like a small version of Versailles' Hall of Mirrors)

Old Nov 29th, 2002, 09:17 AM
Lori

In Paris, Le Grand Vefour was the best i have eaten at (and I've eaten at several 3 stars). If you can get to Nice, go to Chantecleer in the Hotel Negresco.

Old Nov 29th, 2002, 12:41 PM
former nyc resident

Lucas Carton, a 3 star Micheline in Paris, is not only one of the prettiest and most historic places, a Beaux Art building directly across from the Madelein, it is also one of the few 3 stars with a secret little quirk. If you try to get a reservation, it will never happen. Mostly French people eat there as a matter of fact. However if you just appear, nicely dressed and looking very very hungry and very very keen, you will be seated at a perfect table (they all are) and you will witness an event to remember all your life. Just the ballet of the wait staff in their tails, the sterling silver cheese wagon with over 150 different varieties, the wine suggestions geared to each menu option, and the real niceness of the people who work there, despite -- or perhaps because -- it is highly choreographed. The hours slip by, the architecture of the place is magic and you would never even know from the outside that it is a restaurant, shrouded behind thick velvet drapes. We were luckily sent there by a worker at Fouchon, who, upon being asked for a recommendation in the area, breathed in deeply, pulled himself up to his full 5 feet, straightened his apron, squared his shoulders, pointed his finger and said there are many places in Paris, Madame, and then there is Lucas Carton! Subsequent visits have always been spur of the moment and we have always been delightfully received despite having utterly failed to be able to get a reservation. <BR><BR>

Old Nov 29th, 2002, 01:33 PM
Sue

Another vote for Grand Vefour, Paris.

Old Nov 29th, 2002, 05:23 PM
traveller

Clos de Violette, The only great restaurant in AIX.