Great Restaurants in Nice?

May 13th, 2003, 03:54 AM
Original Poster

Great Restaurants in Nice?

Can anyone recommend a few, superb restaurants in Nice? Luckily this is business-related so budget isn't an issue.
Also, a few great but not so expensive recommendations would be welcome as well.

We are staying at the Hotel Mercure Notre Dame which they say is right in the shopping district on Notre Dame Avenue. We will drive or taxi to a restaurant if necessary. Also, since we are there during the Grand Prix, I'm guessing we will need to make reservations in advance. Advice welcome as always. (Yes, I did search but didn't come up with what I was looking for but that could be me!)

Thanks very much.
May 13th, 2003, 04:39 AM

Hi Conny,

There may be "superb" restaurants IN Nice but the ones I know about are in surrounding (drivable for an evening) areas.
La Colombe D'Or in St Paul de Vence
Chateau Chevre D'Or in Eze
Les Moulins de Mougins in Mougins
the restaurant at the Hotel de Paris in Monaco (can't think of the name)

also Le Cagnard in Haut Cagnes (above Cagnes sur Mer)

If you do a text search for Nice AND restaurants here you'll find some other more affordable places. Of the list I gave you, the restaurant in Monaco is by far the most expensive but has several michelin stars. Definetly book in advance (like yesterday). Have a superb time!
May 13th, 2003, 04:56 AM

Hi COnny,

I'm on my way to work, but if you check previous posts, you'll find my restaurant suggestions for Nice. My absolute favorite is actually just outside Nice ( a 20 min taxi ride) on the way to Eze. It is called: LA CHAUMIERE, and its at: 383 Boulevard de L'Observatoire. Phone in France is: 93-01-77-68. Closed SUndays. A once in a lifetime dining experience. Amazing Provencal food, glistening fresh vegetables piled high in straw baskets for appetizers with homemade dips, but best of all, your main course, either chicken, beef, or veal is grilled right in the main dining room fireplace! House wines, desserts, and general ambience ( mostly French locals very well dressed) added to a really memorable and somewhat pricey ( about $200 for the two of us two years ago) meal. If you're interested, I'd call as soon as possible. It books up quickly, and you must reconfirm once you get to Nice or they'll cancel you.
It is a really exceptional place.
May 13th, 2003, 07:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the recommendations. Also, thanks for the search advice McLaurie - I'm one these boards and hadn't thought of using "AND" - duh. This should make searching a lot more effective.
May 13th, 2003, 08:19 AM

Last summer my husband and I spent an evening at Chateau Esa in Eze. The Chateau is wonderful and the view from the terrace on a warm summer evening was simply stunning. This is not an inexpensive restaurant but will worth the splurge! The chateau is at the top of the hill in Ese but the Chateau has valet parking at the bottom of the hill.
May 13th, 2003, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

Now if only I could get my English right...