Search

High End hotels in Bordeaux wine country and near Sarlat

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3rd, 2012, 04:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
High End hotels in Bordeaux wine country and near Sarlat

Hello fellow Fodorites,
I am looking for recommendations for high end hotel, preferably chateau or hotel with character, around Sarlat and in Bordeaux wine country (two locations). Read lots of reviews on Tripadvisor, people often complain about chateaus being outdated, tired looks, etc. Trying to avoid those.
So far I booked Domain de Rochebor which I still can cancel. Did anyone stay there? did you like it? is it inconvenient being outside of Sarlat in terms of places to eat?
What about Bordeaux hotels/chateaus?
Thanks in advance
Old Jul 3rd, 2012, 06:44 PM

Even tho not near Sarlat look at Moulin de la Gorce and Chateau de la Treyne (much closer)
Old Jul 3rd, 2012, 07:04 PM

Le Vieux Logis in Tremolat should meet your requirements. It is about halfway between Bordeaux and Sarlat
Old Jul 4th, 2012, 12:20 AM

Near Sarlat, did you mean Domaine de Rochebois (not Rochebor)? I haven't seen their rooms for a while now, but they were certainly good a few years ago. One point - it is a golf resort, but the golf course is closed for the season while they redesign the course.

If you want to be IN Sarlat, HOtel Clos la Boetie has just received 5 stars http://www.closlaboetie-sarlat.com/site.php?langue=en, the only one in the region. Not as charming as a chateau, but certainly central.

I love the Vieux Logis, but it depends what you want to see - it is at least 45 minutes from Sarlat. And Chateau la Treyne is also extremely nice, but in the Lot, about 40 minutes in the other direction.
Old Jul 4th, 2012, 06:59 PM
Original Poster

We have the following on the list for Dordogne.
Sarlat,
Font de Gaume cave if we get reservation there (sent an email, waiting for reply), may be another cave (Lascauex?), Rocamadore,
St. Cirq,
Les Jardins de Marqueyssac, river towns hopping.
Small towns around Sarlat seem central enough for the above itinerary. Heard traffic is bad going in and out Sarlar so trying to avoid it.
For Bordeaux Wine country we will be spending couple of days there, so will try to get into big names wineries if we can, then our friends leave for Paris and we have couple more days so will get to St. Emillion for couple of days as well.
Old Jul 4th, 2012, 11:57 PM

'Font de Gaume cave if we get reservation there (sent an email, waiting for reply), may be another cave (Lascauex?), Rocamadore, '

Not sure when you sent your request for a reservation for Font de Gaume, or when you will be here, but last word was that tickets are basically sold out until October at least. Normally they send a very quick response. There are about an equal number of tickets available the same day if you line up by 9 at least.

You might want to check your spellings if searching for information. Lascaux, Rocamadour.

Finally, St Cirq (assuming you mean St Cirq Lapopie) is not in the Dordogne, but in the Lot, and is quite a long drive from Sarlat. Not impossible, but if you only have a few days it will take a chunk of time to get there and back.

When are you planning to come? Traffic in Sarlat in July and August is difficult, less so in other months.
Old Jul 5th, 2012, 05:16 PM
Original Poster

Hi Carlux,
thank you for reply and apologies for spelling, and more apologies in advance for those spelling errors that i am going to make in this or future emails. As long as we understand each other..
We are planning to be in Bordeaux and Dordogne from end of August for about 10 days.
Full itinerary looks like this.
Fly into Paris, take shuttle for the train station and high speed train to Bordeaux. Meet up with friends in Bordeaux, they are flying with different airline into different airport in Paris.
Day 1 (actually what's left of it) - Bordeaux
Day 2 - morning in Bordeaux, then rent a car and off to Arcachon.
Day 3 and morning of Day 4 - Arcachon
Day 4 afternoon - off to Dordogne
Day 5,6,7 - Dordogne
Day 8,9 - Bordeaux wine country
Day 10 - our friends are off to Paris, we have 2 more days to stay in the area.
We are planning to take some wine tours to get some experience with the wines and wineries and now I am thinking may be switching the order and visit Bordeaux wine country first and then Dordogne. That may prepare us better for wine and food experiences in Dordogne. Does it make sense?
Font de Gaume replies (though mostly in French) that they are sold out till end of September. Ouch! what are the other caves that you would recommend? I know that Lascaux is the most grand but it's a replica. I would want something authentic.
Old Jul 5th, 2012, 06:39 PM

Prehis. Cave?-Peche Merle
Old Jul 5th, 2012, 08:02 PM

Bordeaux wine country isn't all it's cracked up to be unless you've got an in in the industry. It's also just not particularly pretty country. And no, it doesn't make much sense to think food and wine in Bordeaux will prepare you for wine and food experiences in the Dordogne, as the Dordogne, with the exception of Pécharmants, Bergeracs, Montbazillacs, and a few other petits vins, isn't famous for wine at all...and the food is entirely different from what you'll find in Bordeaux.I would actually skip Bordeaux and just spend a week in the Dordogne. Arcachon, BTW, is good for about an hour or two; combined with Cap Ferret and the Dune du Pylat, you might make a full day of it.

Other caves include Combarelles, Rouffignac, Bara-Bahau, plus Peche-Merle (though it's not in the Dordogne). Don't dismiss Lascaux II because it's a replica. It will still give you goose bumps and you'll learn a LOT about how cave art was created. You should also visit La Roque St-Christophe.