Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Sarlat only 3 full days - then Royan (near Bordeaux). Must sees please.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9th, 2009, 05:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be attending a family wedding for a week near Royan at the end of August. I would like to fit in a few days in Sarlat (Friday flying into Bordeaux - Tuesday must be in Gemozac near Royan...unfortunately only 3 full days in Sarlat). From the forum I gather just walking aorund Sarlat, then Domme, caves at Lascaux, Rocamadour might be all we will fit in...but I am anxious to hear other opinions. Also must-sees for the Royan-Gemozac area. Many thanks.
Old Apr 9th, 2009, 06:04 AM

I recommend getting the Green Guide for Dordogne, it is really helpful. We really liked Rocque Gageac (sp) as well
Old Apr 9th, 2009, 06:13 AM

We loved Lascaux II, so try not to trim that off.
Old Apr 9th, 2009, 06:31 AM

Domme, Beynac, La Roque-Gageac, Castelnaud, Les Milandes, a market (Sarlat Saturday and Wednesday; Le Bugue Tuesday and Saturday; St-Cyprien Sunday; Lalinde Thursday; Montignac Friday); La Roque St-Christophe, Lascaux II, Grotte de Font-de-Gaume; walnut mill at Ste-Nathalène, canoe trip, walking tour of Sarlat...do not bother with Rocamadour if you only have three days.
Old Apr 9th, 2009, 07:43 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi katpen,

one of our top sights was the gouffre de padirac - a little bit further away from Sarlat than some of your other choices, but very memorable. you go down 100s of steps into the bowels of the earth, then get on a boat along an underground river until you reach the chasms where you can see the most wonderful stalagmites etc.

the tour lasts about 90 mins, and you end by coming up in the lift to the surface. unforgettable.

and Lascaux II of course.

regards, ann
Old Apr 9th, 2009, 07:50 AM

I second everything that StCirq said, with stars next to La Roque St-Christophe and Grotte de Font-de-Gaume (more stars for this). You could go to Rocamadour if you want, it's not that far, but I too would choose the sights closer to Sarlat. We visited Gouffre de Padirac and Rocamadour both (they're pretty close to each other) in one afternoon, driving over after lunch, but we didn't spend much time in Rocamadour. DH and I probably wouldn't have chosen Padirac if it were up to us, but our son really wanted to go, and it was his birthday that day.

Another site nearish Sarlat that we really enjoyed was Chateau de Commarque. And there's another castle near there, I forget the name and I'm too lazy to look it up, but it's still lived in (and it's a 2-room B&B), and among the other rooms on the guided tour, there's a beautiful painted wood-paneled room.
Old Apr 9th, 2009, 07:52 AM

From Royan, you have lots of choices: Saintes, Cognac, and the lovely town of la Rochelle (and Ile de Ré). You can also go inland to Armagnac country.
Old Apr 9th, 2009, 08:16 AM

Château de Puymartin? It has a ghost, too.
Old Apr 9th, 2009, 08:25 AM

<i>You can also go inland to Armagnac country.</i>

My impression is that armagnac country is more in the Gascogne, i.e. south of the Dordogne and the Charente. I would stick to the Cognac area. Driving on secondary roads will give many opportunities to try cognac and <i>pineau des charentes</i> from small producers.
Old Apr 9th, 2009, 09:09 AM

Yes, Puymartin - thanks! But we didn't see the ghost...
Old Apr 9th, 2009, 01:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lascaux II is, of course, a reconstructed double of the actual prehistoric cave. If you want the real (eg, old) thing, look into the Grotte de Peche Merle, where the cave paintings are the real thing and the cave formations are quite amazing. As I remember it, the cave paintings at Peche Merle are under a natural layer of transparent calcite and are therefore protected from the effects of modern humanity, while the original Lascaux paintings were endangered by modern atmaosphere and human contact.
Old Apr 11th, 2009, 09:51 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everybody. If I have to choose only one cave (maximum two) and one chateaux, what would you vote for?
Kathy
Old Apr 11th, 2009, 10:08 AM

Cave: Grotte de Font de Gaume.

Castle: Depends on whether you want fortified medieval (or earlier) or fairy-tale style fancy residence. Castelnaud is my favorite castle in the Dordogne, but I love learning about how to sack castles, so I love its medieval warfare museums.
Old Apr 11th, 2009, 11:18 AM

The chateau de Fénélon is worth a visit because it also has period rooms ranging from the Renaissance to the Empire period.
Old Apr 11th, 2009, 03:13 PM

Can I choose one cave and two castles?

If so, then:

Cave: Grotte de Font de Gaume

Castle: Beynac and Commarque. But Commarque is different; it's somewhat ruinous, and set back in the woods. So maybe you could put it in the category of "strolls in the woods."

The medieval weaponry at Castelnaud was interesting, but I enjoy hearing about the architecture at Beynac more.