Reload this Page >

Driving Paris to Dordogne (Sarlat)?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24th, 2006, 05:24 PM
annieladd

We are flying to Paris with my parents, arriving on a Sunday. We have until the following Sunday to get to Sarlat, where we meet other family members. So, what's an enjoyable way to spend the week and get where we're going. In very general terms how does this sound? Arrive Paris Sunday morning, rent car. Drive to Tours or somewhere within the Loire. Spend Sunday, Monday, Tuesday night in Loire area. On Wednesday, drive to La Rochelle and spend Wednesday and Thursday night in the area. Drive to Bordeaux area on Friday, and spend Friday and Saturday night there. Drive to Sarlat on Sunday. I welcome any alternatives to this route, and any specific hotels/restaurants/sites we shouldn't miss. Mostly I just want to get a feel if this is a good general direction, and then I'll research the areas more thoroughly. Thanks! annieladd

Old Jan 24th, 2006, 05:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's certainly a good route if you have a week. I'd suggest going out to the Ile de Ré for at least half a day from La Rochelle. I'd also thin kabout heading into the Limoges area between La Rochelle and Sarlat only to stop at Oradour-sur-Glane, one of the most moving sites in all France, IMO.
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 10:19 AM
ira

Hi A,

Looks like a nice motor trip.

We stayed near St. Emilion rather than in Bordeaux.

Old Jan 25th, 2006, 10:27 AM

I just realized you're the poster who was going to spend two days inSt-Emilion, two in the Périgord Noir, and two in the Lot. If you have a week to get to the Dordogne, I'd bypass La Rochelle and Bordeaux (both fabulous places but the Dordogne is better) and see the Loire for a couple of days and then head to the Dordogne (stopping at Oradour) - because I really think you're going to kick yourselves for not allowing more time there.
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 11:17 AM
annieladd

St. Cirq, no I don't think I'm the poster who was going to St. Emilion, Perigord noir, etc. I'm the poster that is sending a "small village" to Sarlat, then staying a week. Actually, our little family village has gotten somewhat smaller. There will be 10 family members traveling, rather than 14. We've decided (for a variety of reasons) rather than renting a house to stay at Villa de Consuls. annieladd

Old Jan 25th, 2006, 11:46 AM

Consider taking the TGV to Avignon or Montpellier, and exploring the Languedoc on your way to Sarlat.

I'm not a big fan of Tours, and Bordeaux leaves me a little cold too.

I think your plan is good - seaport village, Chateaux, large City .

The Languedoc offers a little more natural beauty (mountains, caves, Gorges, pretty rivers), plus small medieval villages (Conques, Cordes, Estaing, Pezenas) and some larger ones (Carcassone, Albi). I think there would be more time in the car involved, however.

Stu Dudley