Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hi, it is this a good itinerary? Any advice will be really apreciate.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27th, 2009, 06:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Istanbul 3 night (I have been there last year 8 days), Ephesus 1 night, Bodrum 2 night, Marmaris to Rhodes by ferry and 4 days in Rhodes...then, ferry from Rhodes to Crete, 1 days in Heraclion, 2 days in Rethymo and 2 days in Chania. Ferry from Heraclio to Santorini: stay there 3 days and return to Crete and Rhodes and Marmaris by ferry and flight Bodrum to Istanbul. I can spend 18 night in this itinerary...it will be in May 2010. Someone could help me? It is a good itinerary? Any sugestion about a diferent plan? thanks a lot for your help. Diana
Old Aug 28th, 2009, 12:22 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
It all depends on your objectives. If you planned this itinerary so that you say you have been to these place afterwards, it seems doable. If you are interested in antiquity, you will see very few places. If you want something of the local culture, you will not get it.

Just two notes on the Turkey side:

- Driving or bus from Bodrum to Marmaris just to get on ferry to Rhodes is a waste of time. since you like island hopping, take ferry to Kos from Bodrum and ferry to Rhodes from there.
- Bypass Marmaris on the way back also, and even Bodrum, and check for flights from Crete to istanbul, through Athens.

Also, Bodrum, except for the museum, does not offer more than Rhodes or Crete for such a short stay, whereas Selcuk and the antique sites between selcuk and Bodrum, such as Prienne, didyma, Miletus and herakleia are very interesting, and would require at least another two nights.

i do not know rhodes and Crete, so cannot advise on your plans there.
Old Aug 28th, 2009, 03:11 PM
Original Poster

Many thanks for your help. Do you know if ferries run betwen Bodrum, Kos, Rodhes in May? What do you think about taking a ferry from Samos to Santorini (Do you know if there are ferries to Samos in May?) Summer timetables are not available now. Thank again for your advice. Diana
Old Aug 28th, 2009, 10:56 PM

We travelled in May 2008. Weather was great and good roads. Petrol very expensive even by Australian standards but the best way to travel. Take a picture of the rental cars when you get them because they usually have minor dents in them already. Petrol stations around every corner.
We travelled from Santorini to Crete by ferry, Crete(by air to Rhodes ( ferry would have taken too long).Ferry from Rhodes to Kos to Bodrum which was a very pretty journey. Picked up a car in Bodrum after a nights stay then went Ephesus (1 night all is needed), 1 night at a pretty little fishing village Behram (near Assos), 2 nights Gallipolli and then Istanbul ( 4 nights).
Don't worry about Mamaris. Ferries take longer than you think so we had to rethink some of our island hopping as we didn't have time.. We wanted to enjoy the areas more. Ferry tickets easy to get there.
Old Aug 29th, 2009, 03:58 AM

Ferries run usually:

cesme-samos
bodrum-kos
marmaris-rhodes

and not to multiple islands.

previous poster is right that ferries may take up too much of your time.

Selcuk, as a base, has 11-14 major antique, cultural and nature locations worth visiting, within a 150 kilometer radius. even three nights is not enough to cover all.
Old Aug 29th, 2009, 04:37 AM

sorry about mistake:

Kusadasi (near Selcuk) - to Samos

Cesme - to Chios

and what i meant is, usually there are no regular ferries which start at the turkish mainland and run a multi-greek island tour. However, you may find an island tour that comes to Kusadasi and go with them also (possibly).
Old Aug 29th, 2009, 06:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also traveled Crete to Rhodes by air, to Kos by ferry, to Bodrum by ferry, in late Apr/early May '06. Loved the islands (see my TR at http://wilhelmswords.com/eur2006/index.html).

Why are you backtracking to Istanbul? This itinerary would make much more sense with an open-jaw plane ticket - into Istanbul and out of Athens.
Old Aug 29th, 2009, 07:14 PM
Original Poster

Many thanks all of you!! Do you think it is a better opcion:
Athens to Santorini by plane, Santorini to Crete by ferry, Crete to Rodhes by plane, Rodhes to Kos and Bodrum by ferry, Selcuk (Ephes, Mileto, Didime) and finally Istanbul ( I love Istanbul and would like to return there for 2 or 3 days).
Or is better to visit Istanbul, Selcuk (Ephesus, Pamukale, Didime, Mileto) Antalya and only Rhodes in Greece. I would like to see Santorini, but it seems to dificult the transport. What do you think? I really apreciate your advice. Diana
Old Sep 1st, 2009, 11:12 AM

Again, I cannot advise about the Greek islands.

The Antalya region in Turkey is quite separate from the Ephesus and environs.

Antalya has its own antique sites like Perge, aspendos, termessos, Phaselis, side and also good beaches where you can swim in May. Again, I do not think that you can do both Selcuk region and Antalya and still have time for even one island.

Crete seems to be the furthest away. You could probably do Selcuk, Kos, Santorini without rushing madly around.

Hope you enjoy it, whatever you decide.
Old Sep 2nd, 2009, 12:20 PM

If your final destination is Istanbul before flying back home and do not want to repeat places you have visited, Santorini-Athens-Istanbul may be a better and quicker option.

Happy Travelling,
Murat