Here's where I've been, where next?

Jan 23rd, 2011, 04:46 PM
Original Poster

Here's where I've been, where next?

I am struggling to decide on a destination for our next trip, probably September or October 2011. I want to find someplace new in Italy or France, here's where I've been:

ITALY

Rome, Venice , Florence (multiple times)
Amalfi coast (once, no real desire to go back at this time)

Loved these areas:

Tuscany - countryside near Siena
Umbria- a week based in Spello
Piemonte - near Allesandria
Lake Como - Varenna

FRANCE

Paris (mulitple times)
Provence - based just outside Avignon, fell in love with the people here
Burgundy - Beaune area, lovely
Normandy - Bayeux, Caen, Mt. St. Michel

We crave good food and wine, beautiful countryside, some unique museums and churches, a chance to mingle with locals, a city nearby for occasional nightlife, losing ourselves...

Considering Puglia, Friuli, Emilia Romangna, Dordogne, Brittany, Alsace ...???

Looking for suggestions (sorry, too much wine tonight) ...
Jan 23rd, 2011, 05:57 PM

Strasbourg and Alsace seen like a good choice - esp at that time of year. You could combine with some time on the Rhine or Moselle - depending on how much time you have and interests.
Jan 23rd, 2011, 07:28 PM

an excellent suggestion, NY, and also, may wish to consider the Italian and French regions of Switzerland (Lake Maggiore, Montreux, Geneva, etc.)
Jan 23rd, 2011, 07:44 PM

If you are considering Puglia, please think about adding Basilicata. I think a terrific trip would be combining Matera in Basilicata with parts of Puglia. You could count on good food.
Jan 24th, 2011, 05:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies so far, good suggestions.

docdan - Have been to Geneva and all around Lac Leman.

We hope to have 10 - 11 nights total.

Any more?
Jan 24th, 2011, 05:37 AM

The Dordogne is still on my list, so can't help there. Brittany is quite a unique area with its Celtic heritage still in evidence, with mostly smaller towns and cities, and beautiful coastal areas in particular. More in our phototravelogue at http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=...&x=0&y=-24d4pe
Jan 24th, 2011, 06:11 AM

It all depends on whether you want to stay in one place, or move around a little. Will you hire a car or rely on public transport? If you have your own vehicle, then how about:

ITALY Milan Bergamo Lake Garda Verona

You can fly into Milan then out of Venice, or vice versa. The above places are easy to get to along the autostrada, coming away from it to see the various areas.
Jan 24th, 2011, 06:12 AM

Lyon is more than nice. Interesting visually, amazing food and easy to get around. Silk industry was huge at one time-interesting museum and workshops.

DH and I went there from Menton (also nice). Click my name if you are interested in TR.
Jan 24th, 2011, 06:14 AM

Friuli Venezia-Giulia is truly a fantastic place and has everything you are craving, especially if you combine Udine, Aquiliea and Trieste plus the wine hills around Cormons and Gorizia. September/October is an ideal time to go. One of the best brief overviews of the region is this . I highly recommend actually staying at La Subida in Cormons.
Jan 24th, 2011, 06:14 AM

Ooops! I hit the button before I included the link to the overview of Friuli Venezia-Giulia

http://www.fodors.com/news/story_2870.html
Jan 24th, 2011, 06:51 AM

Of all the places you have not visited, the Dordogne is my favorite. In fact, it ties with Provence as my favorite region in France, and also ties with the Val d'Orcia area in Tuscany.

I've spent a lot of time vacationing all over France (except north of Paris, which I will visit this year). Here is something I posted on another thread aboout my favorite regions in France
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-to-france.cfm

Stu Dudley
Jan 24th, 2011, 07:01 AM

"We crave good food and wine, beautiful countryside, some unique museums and churches, a chance to mingle with locals, a city nearby for occasional nightlife, losing ourselves..."

Sicily.

Not too hot in September.
Jan 24th, 2011, 07:18 AM

We must have similar tastes because we have been to many of the places that you list. I will second Dordogne as a great place. However, I would consider a trip to Nice and Cinque Terre combined. We have been to Nice twice in October and found the weather to be great both times. It is hard to explain why it is so pleasant, but it is really one of the most enjoyable and relaxing places we've been. Great transportation options to the small villages nearby, wonderful views, great food and not too expensive. We've always wanted to combine a trip to Nice with Cinque Terre. CT is about our favorite in Italy. Besides hiking and beauty, really unique food and wine. I wish I was there right now instead of heading to work on a gray Monday morning...
Jan 24th, 2011, 07:38 AM

Dordogne, Dordogne, Dordogne. Gorgeous in the fall and meets all your criteria.
Jan 24th, 2011, 07:57 AM

Second for Sicily. Great weather, food, wine, people, scenery.
Go west and east by car. My new favorite in Italy, reminds me of Italy 25 years ago when I first visited Tuscany.
Jan 24th, 2011, 08:44 AM

Huggy

I would say that Sicily is around 25 centuries behind Tuscany but then maybe that's the attraction?
Jan 24th, 2011, 10:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for some great suggestions.

Stu and StCirq - Are there any 50,000+ population cities in Dordogne? It looks like beautiful country, but I'm not very familiar with the region.

Thanks
Jan 24th, 2011, 10:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for some great suggestions.

Stu and StCirq - Are there any 50,000+ population cities in Dordogne? It looks like beautiful country, but I'm not very familiar with the region.

Thanks
Jan 24th, 2011, 10:33 AM

:You might also consider northern Italy-near Austria-Bolzano and north to the dolomites and cortina,etc. In France ,the Basque region ,just north of Spain is also gorgeous. Good hunting.
Jan 24th, 2011, 10:40 AM

No, even Périgueux is right around 30,000.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO