Henri-Cartier Bresson

Aug 4th, 2004, 10:06 AM
Original Poster

Henri-Cartier Bresson

PARIS (Reuters) - Frenchman Henri Cartier-Bresson, widely regarded as one of the great photographers of the 20th century, has died aged 95..

He has been one of my inspirations to be a better photographer..
Aug 4th, 2004, 10:24 AM

Sorry to hear that. I've always liked his pictures of every days scenes and plain people and have found that they convey more than just a photographic image but rather a canvas suggesting a story or a mood... I remember one of his B&W pictures with a young boy carrying baguettes, proud as can be..
Aug 4th, 2004, 10:33 AM

Have a look at the master's vision.

http://www.photology.com/bresson/

kakalena
Aug 4th, 2004, 11:04 AM

He lived a rich full life. He put away his lieka in 1975 and turned to painting. In his apartment, he had not one photo on his walls. The interview with him and Charlie Rose, hopefully may be rerun tonight.
Aug 4th, 2004, 11:27 AM

Ah, one of the all-time greats! We saw the most wonderful exhibit of his photographs in Paris last spring. No digital, no auto-focus, no photoshop -- just genius.
Aug 4th, 2004, 11:57 AM

one of my favorite photographers who excitedly joined magnum because Henri-Cartier was his mentor, and later became presedent of Magnum is Marc Ribaud. Those of you lucky enough to be in Paris, mow through, I think September can see my favorite photo at his exhibition of a whimsical acrobatic painter of the Eiffel tower.
Anyone who loves photography go to:
Maison Européenne Photographe
5-7 rue de Fourcy
http://www.mep-fr.org
Aug 4th, 2004, 12:03 PM

Yes, I learned this sad news earlier.
He certainly had a long and full life and his works have enriched the lives of so many.
Some of his images are just incredible aren't they?
Aug 4th, 2004, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

Merci cigale! for the site.
I liked seeing the photos of Ann de Vandier and Susan Paulsens works.
Aug 4th, 2004, 12:28 PM
dln

Thank you Scarlett for letting us know about that extraordinary artist's passing. What photographs!

Cigalechanta, I probably would have overlooked the photography museum had you not brought it to our attention. I took a look at the website and the Marc Riboud exhibit runs through the 17th of Ocobober. We'll be able to take a look while we're in Paris! Not only that, but the museum is free to all on Wednesday evenings from 5 pm to 8 pm. What a nice thing to do before going out to dinner, than to stroll throuth the museum. Metro is either St. Paul or Pont Marie.

Aug 4th, 2004, 12:54 PM

Scarlett, I didn't see your post and just topped an old thread about his foundation (www.henricartierbresson.org) as a tribute to him. Kakalena and Cigale, thanks for the links.
Aug 4th, 2004, 01:02 PM

http://www.faheykleingallery.com/fea...1/icon1_27.htm

Here is a great sight for you, SCARLETT!
you'll see my Eiffel Tower painter and Bresson's little boy proudly carrying two bottles of wine.
Aug 5th, 2004, 05:10 AM

You can read the Times obit here:

http://www.nytimes.com/pages/arts/index.html

The slide shows are pretty interesting -- the portraits of the various luminaries are quite fascinating.
Aug 5th, 2004, 06:47 AM

Interesting man and great links here. I haven't seen the New York Times publish such a long obit in a long time.
Aug 5th, 2004, 06:48 AM

The Reagan obit in the Times was quite a long one, actually. I actually printed that one out and it was about 20 pages.
Aug 5th, 2004, 08:15 AM

Every budding photographer wants to emulate Cartier-Bresson, but he had a special gift. He could recognize the "Decisive Moment", and had the skill to capture it on film.

He truly could visualize the shot before it happened.

Fortunately, his great body of work will always be there for us to remember him by.