Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

HELPPPPP teenage daughter wants to shop in europe..do they have plus size clothes?

Search

HELPPPPP teenage daughter wants to shop in europe..do they have plus size clothes?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 03:27 PM
wendy

I will be going to Europe with my 17 year old daughter for new year. We have planned a trip to london, brussels and paris and would like to know if plus size shopping is available. This is a really special trip for my daughter becuase last year I had a car accident and she nursed me back to health. This will be my way of repaying her for being such a loving daughter. SHe has been to london before but she was 9 at the time. Is italy more plus size friendly?

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 03:46 PM
Tia

Do a search here, there was a thread about this a few weeks ago with alot of good advice.

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 04:06 PM
honest

I am not plus size, but I still have a problem fitting into clothes in Europe. I would suggest that you (or your daughter) don't have your heart set on buying slacks or tops, but instead focus on shoes, handbags, scarfs, gloves or a coat. These are special items that you can often get for better quality and/or at a lesser price than back home, and are much more pleasant to shop for!

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 04:16 PM
Linda

I agree with the above posters; search for previous threads. I'm 5foot 7 and quite slim and some of their sizes were not cut well for me or my body shape BUT I did buy terrific jewellery, scarves, bags and shoes. One really neat jewellery store is called "Metal Pointus" . They have a few stores in Paris; one shop is located in the Les Halles area right behind the church.(rue du Jour??) This is the one where thy actually make the pieces. Another is in the Marais. They're a mix of funky and classic...or maybe that's classic with a funky twist. I'm in my 50's and I've bought rings, bracelets and necklaces for friends my age and for younger nieces and everyone has loved their stuff.

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 04:28 PM
xx

There have been several threads lately on plus sizes in both Londin and Paris.do a search

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 07:53 PM
TeenyTiny

Unfortunately, no, you won't find nice plus-size clothes in Italy. The Italians are among the fittest, slimmest people in Europe - maybe your daughter can get some recipe tips while there. I think it would be an exercise in futility and perhaps embarrassment to try to find nice clothes in plus sizes in this country. I would instead try to buy some nice accessories - there are plenty to choose from.

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 01:22 AM
Siobhan

Are the plus size clothes for yourself ot your daughter? In London Marks and Spencer do plus sizes and have some nice things. There is also another UK chain that does nice clothes I think it's etam (?) As well there was a thread about plus sizes that mentioned a chain in Belgium called Ulla something. Do a search as there are threads that have names and addresses of these shops.<BR><BR>If the clothing is for your daughter the standard sizes in chain stores run from Size 6-16. To find the same size as the USA check any guide book for conversions. i.e. I am an 8 shoe in America but a 6 in UK and 39 european. <BR><BR>Don't be put off buying clothes here, not everyone in europe is a skinny supermodel! You will find things just search<BR><BR>Enjoy your trip you sound like a lovely mum to you daughter!

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 01:39 AM
Steve

I've never seen a plus-sized naked woman on the street in London, Paris or Italy, so yes you can find such clothes, if you look in the right stores ;-)<BR><BR>Caveat: most of the trendier (and not so high priced) clothes lines in Europe, e.g. Zara, Mango, Kookai, are built for tall &amp; slim women. (My wife is 5'11&quot; and slim, and she worships these stores because there are actually pants there that are long enough for her.)<BR><BR>You might have to look to the big dept. stores, such as Marks &amp; Spencer, C&amp;A, etc.

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 02:37 AM
xxx

I guess you have been to this thread about shopping in London. If not...<BR><BR>http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...p;tid=18844531

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 05:14 AM
Patrick1

The previous advice about accessories and fun jewellery was right on target (and sensitive, too), all the cities you mentionned are full of nice boutiques and entire department stores departments are dedicated to those (apart Brussels, that i would skip if I were you).<BR>If clothes are a must, do not try boutiques at all, it would be a frustrating experience for your daughter. Go only to big department stores, like marks and spencer in london (mentionned on a previous reply) and in Paris Galeries Lafayette and Le Printemps (both department stores are on the same block). In those stores, every design house has different policies, so you will find size plus in, say, Miss Sixty and Lanvin, and only 6 in Helmut Lang and Koukai. But it will be less embarassing than boutiques, in which the design houses do not sell size plus.

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 05:20 AM
Caro

Hello Wendy!<BR><BR>It's very difficult to find plus size clothes in Italy. And I am saying this being a European wearing size 6.<BR>Try H+&amp;M, C&amp;A, Marks and Sparks in London or Paris. Avoid boutiques. They normally stop at French size 40/42 which happens to be still quite small.

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 05:38 AM
gen

I just came back from Rome and was amazed at how incredibly skinny the women were! I am from the midwest and refer to &quot;New York Skinny&quot; as being way skinny, but the women in Rome rival the New York x-rays..........And they wear their clothes really tight..........

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 10:14 AM
useful

In London, Marks and Spencer has a nice selection, reasonable prices and bit different style, (nice) that what we have in the US for plus sizes.

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 10:43 AM
scigirl

H&amp;M (all over Europe) has plus-size and 'regular' size clothes. They also tend towards styles that a 17 year-old would like - trendy, fashionable, and very reasonably priced. There website is hm.com - you might be able to find store locations listed. (They also have a few stores in the USA.)

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 11:02 AM
xxx

I'm 5'9&quot;, 130 lbs, and department store clothing barely fits me -- way too short and often too tight. If I find an XL size in something like Liz Claiborne, I have to make sure I never put it in the dryer or else it will shrink. Most of the women's clothing looks child-sized, IMO. Whenever I go to a sale the racks are full of size 2 and 4, but never anything else -- because normal-sized women have already purchased the normal-sized clothing. <BR><BR>Most of the teenage girls I see in my neighborhood are as tall as I am or taller. Face, we Americans are taller and larger than ever before, but you sure wouldn't know it by shopping in a department store.<BR>

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 06:47 PM
Psudo Parisian

I agree about accessories, shoes and jewelry. Not because I don't think a person should not plus sizes, who cares? Clothes will go out of style and wear out far more quickly then accessoris and jewelry. I still use my $200 leather backpack purse from Florence, (that would have been close to $400 here), but my top from the same trip wore out long ago. The jewelry I've purchased and get complimented on is at least 6 years old. The bottom line is the memories will live longer with things that last longer. have a wonderful trip whatever you all decide to fo or buy and make sure to relish every moment!

Old Nov 28th, 2002, 07:09 AM
Caroline

I disagree with the poster who said that size 2 and 4 are the easiest to find and that those of us who are that small are somehow abnormal. I have an extremely difficult time find clothing that fits. I am petite 5'3 105 lbs. I usually wear a 4, sometimes a 2. Many of the female members of my family have a similar build and they also have a very difficult time finding clothes. I think those sizes sell out the fastest. I also think most designers vanity size these days. I've been the same weight since high school. I used to wear a size 6, it amazes me that now I'm a 2 or 4. Heck, I think I even have a size 0 skirt that fits!

Old Nov 28th, 2002, 07:27 AM
europeangirl

Very recently, I saw a report about German clothes manufacturing.<BR><BR>They now tend to label smaller, than a couple of year ago, but the sizes remain the same. <BR><BR>So, if you needed a 6 some years ago, you might fit into a 4 now with the weight. But, the size is still the same.<BR><BR>This, just to make us think we are small=slim!

Old Nov 29th, 2002, 03:16 AM
Siobhan

JUst got my book Born to shop Paris book here are some Pus size stores mentioned for Paris:<BR><BR>Club Auteuil 4 Rue Marigan Metroe:FD Roosevelt - fancy clothese for work and dress up between Champs Elysee and Ave Montaigne<BR><BR>Helena Miro 195 rue St Honore. Metro: Tuileries SPanish, cllourful finky but not over the top clothese up to size 60.<BR><BR>MArina Rinaldi, 7 ave Victor Hugo. Metro: Etoile or Victor Hugo - Also other shops in Paris - LArge size division of Max Mara Varied types of clothese from Casual to dressy.<BR><BR>I hope this helps and you find some lovely clothes<BR><BR>

Old Nov 29th, 2002, 03:54 AM
OO

Marina Rinaldi is of very good quality. But I don't think it's particularly suitable for a 17 year old teenager who likes to have new stuff all the time. M. Rinaldi are keepers.<BR>Besides, it's kind of expensive and quite classic. Not clothes, you want to have changed every year.