Reload this Page >

British Museum Tours?

Search

British Museum Tours?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28th, 2002, 08:07 AM
Georgian

British Museum Tours?

I was just looking at the British Museum website and they have 3 different tours -- Highlights (costs 8 BP), Eye Opener (free guided by volunteers) and audio tour(costs 3.50 BP) . Has anyone gone through any of these in the past and if so which one is best.<BR><BR>I plan on visiting the museum a few time on my trip but I would prefer to do a tour on my first visit.

Old Nov 28th, 2002, 08:31 AM
Sue

Georgian, I only did the Highlights tour so can't say which is best. One thing about the Highlights tour is that our guide was able to take us into some sections which were closed to the general public that day. Definitely a great introduction to the BM. It's a large place as you no doubt know, and the guide was able to efficiently get us from one section to the next. Enjoy your trip.

Old Nov 28th, 2002, 08:36 AM
janis

The audio tours are great - you can go at your own pace, skip galleries that don't interest you, and linger in places you want to concentrate. <BR><BR>But if you are going more than once, the Eye Opener might be best since you get an overview and can decide what to see in depth on a later visit. In fact - doing the Eye Opener first time out and pick up an audio set on your next visit.

Old Nov 28th, 2002, 08:42 AM
Bob Brown

I did the audio tour. I hope the quality of the sound has been improved since I was there. I had a hard time following the presentation. The difficulty was caused by a combination of a very strong, and stuffy, British accent, poor enunciation, and muffled audio clarity. This was more than 5 years ago, so hopefully the sound is better now.<BR>If Sch&ouml;nbrunn Palace in Vienna can put together a first class audio tour in English, hopefully the British Museum can do the same.<BR>The Eye Opener is a good one too. I like the suggestion of doing a combination, if you have time. The guide I had took us on a short version that included the Parthenon and the Rosetta Stone.

Old Nov 28th, 2002, 10:04 AM
Quinty

How long to do the Eye Opener and Highlights tours last?

Old Nov 28th, 2002, 10:10 AM
Georgian

According to their website, the Highlights is about 90 minutes and the Eye Opener's is about 50 minutes.

Old Nov 28th, 2002, 03:25 PM
Julie

also London Walks does a guided British Museum tour...<BR><BR>http://www.walks.com/index.html<BR><BR>just do a search for British Museum on the site!

Old Nov 28th, 2002, 04:13 PM
Georgian

Julie--do you know if it costs anything..I couldn't find it on their site. But there is a possibity that I wasn't looking in the right area.

Old Nov 28th, 2002, 05:51 PM
Julie

Georgian - The last time I was in London I went on three London Walks and they were 5pounds each (4 pounds if a student or senior) but didn't go on the British Museum walk, but assume that they would be the same price.<BR>The three walks that I did go on were fantastic which is why I would reccommend the British Museum walk though I havn't experienced it first hand...<BR><BR>hope this helps!<BR><BR>p.s. Try one of the evening pub walks, or a Jack the Ripper Walk!

Old Nov 28th, 2002, 06:37 PM
Keith

I did the Egypt collection highlight tour. felt it was well worth it.<BR><BR> Keith<BR>

Old Nov 29th, 2002, 05:06 AM
xxx

Original London Walks still cost &pound;5, But if you plan to take several walks then purchase a 'frequent walker card' on your first walk (&pound;6) and each walk thereafter will cost only &pound;4.<BR>The discount card is valid for a month.