Help with Vienna hotel choice...please?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16th, 2003, 10:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm trying again as I didn't have any luck last time there are so many posts for Italy, France and the UK could someone please help with my Vienna question...please?
I'll be stopping over in Vienna for a couple of nights on my way to Armenia this summer and I'm thinking about staying at the Hotel Ambassador. It looks well located, recently renovated and apparently has a good fairly new restaurant called Morwald. Has anyone stayed here or can recommend the restaurant? Because it's just a stopover we're looking for somewhere luxurious but within the realm of reasonable (no more than $200),relaxing, well located, with a good restaurant so we can just roll downstairs for an excellent meal.
Hope someone can help...
Many thanks

Old Jun 17th, 2003, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

Still hoping someone can help!
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 09:55 AM

HI
go to www.tripadvisor.com, keep clicking on options until you get to Vienna hotels. There are several positive comments from past hotel guests, plus links to other sources of info.
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 11:17 AM

Since you seem so desperate, I will try a suggestion. I don't know about the Ambassador, but I can tell you that my favorite hotel is also a very nice four-star place in an excellent location just around the corner from Stephansdom. It's the Hotel Konig von Ungarn, and I'm pretty sure their rates would be around $200 for a double -- at least they were last year. It's a great hotel and has one of the most highly regarded restaurants in the city. I'm sure you can find comments on the Fodors site, or you can contact the hotel by e-mail. They have a web site, but I don't have the web address handy. I think their e-mail address is [email protected]. Good luck.
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Wayne,
I do appreciate the help...I don't have much time to spend planning the couple of days in Vienna. The difficulty is that I'm planning a trip to Armenia and Iran with a stopover in Vienna and while I've found the board helpful for other trips, and I often post for Africa and Latin America, I'm having very little luck getting information on these destinations...I though advice on Vienna would be far easier to solicit!
Thanks again for your help.
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 01:50 PM
hsv

I would have thought, you'd be getting better responses, too. Therefore I hesitated to post, as I have not been staying at the Ambassador nor have I been eating there.
I do recall its location, though and can assure you that locationwise you will be fine. The hotel is situated in the pedestrian area Kaerntnerstrasse between the Opera and Stephansdome.
I also have been hearing very good reviews after the hotel had undergone a complete overhaul, recently.
The hotel is being offered by Germany's leading travel company for luxury travels called airtours (which is not to be mixed up with the English package tour operator of the same name) as a five star property and the pictures they have in their catalogue look fine. They also mention that the Restaurant "Moerwald im Ambassador" has become a culinary highlight within a short period of time.
Enjoy your stay there!
hsv
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 01:53 PM

I had dinner in the Ambassador last year.I felt very much "at home".Nice ambience good service very pleasant atmosphere.I had a steak dish well prepared and tasty.I am not a gourmand.Nice wine and great dessert.We lingereged and did not feel pressured to leave at all.A very pleasant experience.
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 01:58 PM

This is an excellent hotel for room quality - I booked a business associate there after checking a number of hotels. I have since checked in total about 20 hotels in Vienna and would rate this as one of the best top end hotels and best value of them all. I have also checked out Konig von Hungarn and while recognising that the hotel has a lot of character - perhaps more than Ambassador, the room quality is superior at Ambassador - basically newer and KvH has some aspects which I felt made some rooms look a bit dated. Location is great. Bar has a more modern style which beats the other big name hotels. Definitely do not change your booking.
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 10:46 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for all your advice/recommendations. This is exactly why I post, because there are people out there who can give an opinion and it really does clarify things.